What is the role of faith in Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2010, 02:12 AM
RE: What is the role of faith in Atheism?
Faith is what some people do because they are afraid to say "I don't know." Faith is the state of not knowing while pretending to know. What the fuck is so scary about not knowing something? Could it be that since "not knowing" opens one's mind to learning that people are actually afraid of learning something? Why is that scary? Or maybe belief is for people who are afraid of reality?

Oh, my god, I just learned something Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Atheism doesn't need faith.
It is a non-faith based position.It is a position ON faith rather than OF faith.
The same way , I am a :
a-santaclaus-ist
a-lochnessmonster-ist
a-bigfoot-ist
etc.*
Do I need faith for all of those ?
17-12-2010, 05:01 AM
(15-12-2010 02:12 AM)No J. Wrote:  Faith is what some people do because they are afraid to say "I don't know." Faith is the state of not knowing while pretending to know. What the fuck is so scary about not knowing something? Could it be that since "not knowing" opens one's mind to learning that people are actually afraid of learning something? Why is that scary? Or maybe belief is for people who are afraid of reality?

Oh, my god, I just learned something Tongue

I think you made a point here NoJ. I think FEAR is a key factor when faith is questioned, most people want a "sexy" explanation about existence, and as I quoted before "faith is the denial of observation in order to keep faith unquestioned/unchallenged", faith has nothing to do with observation and/or evidence because evidence is not subjective. Faithfull people are afraid of being wrong but at the same time they are arrogant enough to say that they have faith in some diety and other fantastic entities just because it must be true. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2010, 08:31 AM

I admittedly didn't read every last word written in this thread, but I'll comment in general on faith. I do have faith. As far as a God goes my faith is that if there is one that I will be rewarded for being the best human I can be. I have faith that God will simply require me to be kind, and honest. I also have faith that that God would not in any way shape or form need me to acknowlege it. I also have faith in human nature, and there IS reason to doubt that so it is faith. I have faith in human ingineuity too.
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 09:33 AM

I have faith that the things I take as truth have evidence behind them, without actually possessing said evidence.
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Having faith in the ideas of someone with a good track record of providing verifiable and conclusive evidence to back his/her ideas is not truely "faith." If you drop fifteen glass objects on a concrete floor and they all break, is it faith that makes you believe that the next glass object will break, too? No, it is experience. If you had never done or witnessed this experiment, but learned about from people who had documented the methods and results, and those methods and results had been verified by others who also documented all their data, and all these people had good track records of providing verifiable and conclusive evidence to support their claims, then it still isn't really faith, per se. It is trusting those who have provided sufficient evidence in the past. That is not really faith, at least not in the religious interpretation of faith.
31-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I think we are overcomplicating words. Atheism is simply without theistic belief. As almost everyone above before mentions, there is nothing other than that very broad definition which unites atheists.

Now the definition of faith is believing without evidence. Personally I see evidence for everything I believe, now I could be wrong and be missing something, but as far as I see there is no faith required in my life.