What is the scientific evidence for the existence of HIV?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 07:55 PM
RE: What is the scientific evidence for the existence of HIV?
I believe that the fact that millions of people suffer from it is sufficient evidence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2013, 08:14 PM
(16-11-2013 07:55 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I believe that the fact that millions of people suffer from it is sufficient evidence.
HIV is the virus, AIDS is the disease.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-11-2013, 08:52 PM
(16-11-2013 05:21 PM)I and I Wrote:  Sure, and people's interpretation and understanding of science is based on belief, people believe science that makes then comfortable.

Fixt?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
16-11-2013, 08:55 PM
(16-11-2013 07:32 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 02:04 PM)I and I Wrote:  No, many people and scientists don't believe HIV causes aids.

SCIENTISTS???? Yeah, right... Rolleyes

You must be referring to your faith and not science. Nobel prize winner for molecular biology kary Mullins
http://youtu.be/IifgAvXU3ts.

I know I know, that science gets in the way of your belief sometimes.
16-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I love how Robert Gallo can hold a press conference with the head of human health services and announce his claim that HIV is the cause of aids BEFORE any if his findings were released for peer review.

Science is amazing....
16-11-2013, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 03:39 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-11-2013 08:58 PM)I and I Wrote:  I love how Robert Gallo can hold a press conference with the head of human health services and announce his claim that HIV is the cause of aids BEFORE any if his findings were released for peer review.

Science is amazing....

I doesn't matter what any ONE person does. It's called "forest for the trees" Idiot^2.
Science IS amazing. What are NOT amazing are all your red herrings.
Sorry, if it's messy and complicated. When you get big, mommy will explain life if messy.
Waaaa waaaa waaaa.
What ? One of your teachers flunked you and you're forever pissed off ?
You do have an ENDLESS list of shit to whine about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-11-2013, 09:23 PM
(16-11-2013 09:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 08:58 PM)I and I Wrote:  I love how Robert Gallo can hold a press conference with the head of human health services and announce his claim that HIV is the cause of aids BEFORE any if his findings were released for peer review.

Science is amazing....

I doesn't matter what any ONE person does. It's called "forest for the trees" Idiot^2.
Science IS amazing. What are NOT amazing are all your red herrings.
Sorry, if it's messy and complicated. When you get big, mommy will explain life if messy.
Waaaa waaaa waaaa.
What ? One of your teachers flunked you and you're forever pissed off ?

So your response to Robert Gallo and head of human health services announcing in a press conference that the cause of AIDS has been found....BEFORE any peer review of his papers gets you to make fun of me, instead of admitting that Gallo went about that all wrong.

You must not hold peer review as important in that case?
16-11-2013, 09:58 PM
(16-11-2013 02:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I guess. I just wondered if there was some weird biblical prophesy that HIV was wrecking, or something.

The HIV/AIDS denialists are a motley bunch (and incidentally most of them are not virologists) but I haven't seen any with a Christian/Biblical agenda. The most common broader agenda is the "Big Pharma" conspiracy. That the HIV-AIDS connection was cooked up by "Big Pharma" to sell anti-retroviral drugs. This constituency of denialists conveniently ignores that the life expectancy of those that are HIV positive has increased since the now standard antiretroviral therapy regimen was introduced.[1][2]

The "Big Pharma" conspiracy theorists are typically opportunistic and will leap on anything that they believe will further their Quixotic quest: vaccines, antidepressants, CNS stimulants, antipsychotics, statins. Underneath their conspiratorial imaginings is usually a devotion to some form of bullshit which they assert is superior to mainstream pharmacotherapy, e.g. homeopathy, orgone therapy, Reiki therapy, Neuro-Linguistic Programming or orthomolecular psychiatry (as per our beloved Dr Fulton).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
16-11-2013, 10:12 PM
(16-11-2013 08:14 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 07:55 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I believe that the fact that millions of people suffer from it is sufficient evidence.
HIV is the virus, AIDS is the disease.

You don't say, Sherlock? Rolleyes
16-11-2013, 10:21 PM
(16-11-2013 09:23 PM)I and I Wrote:  So your response to Robert Gallo and head of human health services announcing in a press conference that the cause of AIDS has been found....BEFORE any peer review of his papers gets you to make fun of me, instead of admitting that Gallo went about that all wrong.

Montagnier indepedently identified HIV as the likely cause of AIDS.

What you seem to be overlooking is that there was a pandemic and both Gallo and Montagnier had epidemiological data and data from in vitro studies that pointed to HIV-I as the likely cause of AIDS in North America. Nothing besides advocacy followed immediately from this then provisional result: don't share needles, use condoms and dental dams. Meanwhile research continued and Gallo and Montagnier were vindicated as were the initial advocated behavioral modifications.

Quote:You must not hold peer review as important in that case?

Formal peer review followed when Gallo published in the journal Science only a year later. Given that lives were at stake it would have been irresponsible for Gallo to wait until the formal peer review process completed. Also it wasn't Gallo working alone, much informal peer review occurred in the form of the exchange of data between Gallo, Montagnier and the virologists from the CDC.

As Bucky stated, the world is messy place and it doesn't get much messier than a pandemic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post