What is the ultimate Philosophy question?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2012, 03:45 PM
RE: What is the ultimate Philosophy question?
(18-09-2012 03:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  For me, it is "Why is there something, instead of nothing?"

That was covered in A Universe From Nothing quite well.

Anyway, mine is thus:

"If the universe is technically infinite, does that mean I will find other universes within?"

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Is philosophy beneficial to society?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 4 users Like Phaedrus's post
18-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I would state that you have given the answer to your own question.

As I see it, there can not be a more perplexing or more difficult philosophical question than:

"What is the most perplexing philosophical question?"

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't want to give a specific question within it, but I'd say epistemology. Defining knowledge and answering questions about the possibility, and extent, of knowledge will never get old.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
18-09-2012, 04:21 PM
To fuck, or not to fuck? That is the question. Consider

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
18-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Another one could be what is the ultimate question of life the universe and everything else?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
18-09-2012, 05:24 PM
(18-09-2012 03:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  By ultimate, what I mean is the most perplexing, the most important, or the the most difficult to answer. A question that we will not likely ever know the answer to.

For me, it is "Why is there something, instead of nothing?"

What is yours?
That's easy. "Something" or existence is a fundamental state of the universe. There is no such thing as "nothing", or better said, there are about four very complicated scientific definitions of nothing that only some physicists and mathemathicians understand, however probably not yet observe. (See Aron Ra's recent debate with Ray Comfort on his Youtube channel, he mentions it)

"Nothing" is just a language concept to exclude things, in nature it makes no sense. Even purest vacuum is made of "something", because it has non-zero permitivity and permeability and a non-zero energy value at zero Kelvins.
We imagine there is such a thing as nothing, because our eyes see only 400 nanometer range of light.

In some atheist book there was this metaphor of cosmic burka. Let's say we wear a burka that lets us see only through a narrow gap in front of eyes. Only this burka does not reach 180 cm to our feet. It reaches kilometers below. And kilometers above the gap. These are the invisible wavelengths the universe is full of. If we saw the electro-magnetic fireworks that bombard us all the time from 'above' (another imaginary concept) we would never think of nothingness or the outer space as empty.

I personally suspect there is a natural mechanism that "recycles" all matter and energy of the universe back to the very source of fundamental existence. For many months I know about the document of BBC "Is everything we know about the universe wrong?" (or something like that) Reputedly, this document says how astronomers are puzzled by a phenomenon that seems like something is sucking up large swathes of galaxies and nebulas, like an invisible vacuum cleaner. I think it's that "dark flow" I have heard about earlier.
Sorry, I haven't been able to watch it yet, so I don't know what is it about. If you have time, it's here.
But as a reader of esoteric philosophy I am open to an idea that the universe exists in cycles, it moves in and out of partial manifestations, I'd describe it as a cycle from formless energy to "energy-less form" (heat death) and back.

As for my own ultimate philosophy question,

Will we as humanity make it? Survive this great crisis we're in and build a golden age?

The question above is actually a second in line, the first one was "What's wrong with me?" and it was answered earlier this year Smile

18-09-2012, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 05:52 PM by Luminon.)
(18-09-2012 03:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Is philosophy beneficial to society?
I fancy myself somewhat of a philosopher, though I dislike the western classics. And the one standard I had set to myself is to make my philosophy useful or at least interesting. So here's my useful answer:
Philosophy is mostly the art of asking questions. Questioning is drilling into a concept, dissecting it, analyzing.

It is good to dissect a dangerous and obsolete thing like a religion, we here do it all the time for the good of society.

However I have met people who dissected the good and useful phenomena like goodness, altruism, free will and so on. They dismantled these phenomena on their basic parts and then analyzed the parts, disconnected and simplified ad absurdum. Which is a mistake that the chaos-monsters (or time monsters?) out of Terry Prattchett's Discworld books did - they did not realize that a whole is more than just a sum of its parts. (Terry, you're a wise philosopher!) That a human being is more than a sum of chemicals, water, electric signals and animal instincts.
Hence, these people adopted a philosophy that "explains" EVERYTHING by selfish interests and competitive insticts. And I mean everything. Even acting altruistically is selfish, because it makes us feel good. We're all hopelessly irredeemable selfish hedonists, no matter what we do or don't do, we do it for pleasure only, for the endorphins and pleasure signals in brain.

Which is a complete bullshit, not only it is demeaning to us as people, but also as Christopher Hitchens said, explanations that explain everything, explain nothing.

As you see, philosophy can be used a sharp razor that can dissect ideas. But it must not be wielded by fools who are so proud at sharpness of this razor, that they don't notice they attack the ideas they should instead cherish and defend, because these are the best foundations of society.

I can only say that the person I meant isn't on this forum. Otherwise, he's a decent guy, economically aware, atheist and has a useful job even by my standards. He only has this obsession with tautologic naturalism.

Oh fuck, was I actually supposed to answer these questions? Didn't I take somebody's sense of mystery away? Smile

18-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Where would we be without philosophy? With the exception of seating for philosophical discussion, nothing else turns the world. Well, some anthropoligists might argue that sex turns the world.
In the historical chain of "the great conversation, " I believe the ultimate question is equally divided between two questions that are and always been . . .. Damn, where do I go from here, and damn, where do we go from here?
18-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Next . . .