What is the ultimate Philosophy question?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2012, 07:38 AM
RE: What is the ultimate Philosophy question?
(20-09-2012 07:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, his message was in the Ultimate Question that Arthur Dent discovered once he became part of the Earth computer program...

For those readers who do not know, the Ultimate Question (for which the Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything was 42) was "What is six times nine?"

Didn't the Scrabble game give the question as "What is seven time eight"?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2012, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 01:43 PM by TrainWreck.)
(18-09-2012 03:35 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The problem of induction is the most annoying thing religious people use to bastardize science.

The problem of induction is the most annoying thing atheist people use to bastardize social organization.

They use it to justify their inability to establish the community/society that they insist the religious people should respect as being infinitely tolerant of all ideologies and individual freedom of thought. BowingBowingBowing

It appears to me that the ultimate philosophical question is the discussion concerning determinism - and I think science is dependent on the assumption that perfect order exists, and free will is an illusion created by the margin of human error, which is created by the poor standardization of being.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
20-09-2012, 01:50 PM
(18-09-2012 05:44 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 03:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Is philosophy beneficial to society?
Philosophy is mostly the art of asking questions. Questioning is drilling into a concept, dissecting it, analyzing.
That is science, or observation.

Philosophy is the study of ideologies and the development of human knowledge.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
20-09-2012, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 02:15 PM by TrainWreck.)
(18-09-2012 07:02 PM)aurora Wrote:  Have we (the universe and/or life itself) a purpose?
That is an easy one - contributing to the better evolution of Mankind has to be the answer. Any other answers are merely relevent and probably lack validity if they cannot be used to organize people, which is impossible to avoid - people inherently organize (work) in order to survive and enhance the experience of living.

20-09-2012, 02:01 PM
(19-09-2012 11:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is no objective ultimate question. It is different for each person.
The margin of human error leads you to that perception.

If we were to poll the entire population, I would bet that there are only about ten valid responses. There is no way that there would not be any repeated responses.

20-09-2012, 02:08 PM
(20-09-2012 02:01 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 11:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is no objective ultimate question. It is different for each person.

If we were to poll the entire population, I would bet that there are only about ten valid responses. There is no way that there would not be any repeated responses.

I agree with TrainWreck.

The Apocalypse is nigh.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2012, 02:19 PM
(20-09-2012 02:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Apocalypse is nigh.
You will eventually be programmed to see things my way.

[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
20-09-2012, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2012 07:53 AM by Logica Humano.)
(20-09-2012 02:01 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

You are not human?

That's not objectivity, that's narrow-mindedness and lack of education. And please, define "valid".

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
21-09-2012, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2012 01:35 AM by Luminon.)
(20-09-2012 01:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 05:44 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Philosophy is mostly the art of asking questions. Questioning is drilling into a concept, dissecting it, analyzing.
That is science, or observation.

Philosophy is the study of ideologies and the development of human knowledge.
Not when you do it with your mouth and mind only, that's not science. Doubting or asking questions is a start, examining (alternative) possibilities is the basis of Socratic method. I doubt philosophers ever arranged a blind test with a placebo group, unless they were natural philosophers.

I like how one modern scientist (???) and philosopher John Heron had put it, there are two processes, growing Heron's beard (that's making up questions and possibilities about reality) and then there's Occam's razor, shaving what is unnecessary of the Heron's beard. This method can be used in inquiry into spiritual matters.

21-09-2012, 03:44 AM
(20-09-2012 07:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, his message was in the Ultimate Question that Arthur Dent discovered once he became part of the Earth computer program...

For those readers who do not know, the Ultimate Question (for which the Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything was 42) was "What is six times nine?"

Hold on... Where does this say? Because I have read it, but can not remember that the Question was discovered. Please provide the quotes from the original work.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Synthesis of Religious Philosophy Rinpoche 17 203 02-07-2014 08:09 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Question about logic le_bard 15 436 22-02-2014 09:28 AM
Last Post: le_bard
  Critique My Philosophy of Life? Philosofer123 48 1,532 18-02-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Chippy
  Semantic wars on Hemlock Island (or how I got banned from a philosophy forum) Luminon 15 508 21-01-2014 04:20 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  Is this begging the question? parsonf 28 724 18-01-2014 08:52 PM
Last Post: womendezuguo
  Philosophy book recommendations natachan 9 248 09-01-2014 07:17 AM
Last Post: Khare
  The impossible question about evolution? slimlover360 17 565 04-01-2014 09:26 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor