What is the war on drugs really about?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 08:42 AM
What is the war on drugs really about?
Why are cocaine and opium and pot considered illegal? Why are cigarettes okay along with alcohol? Why is the war on drugs such a moronic concept? Because it is a biased concept. It is a bullshit concept.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-08-2014, 09:01 AM
RE: What is the war on drugs really about?
Makes sense.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Quote:Why are cocaine and opium and pot considered illegal?

Because, unlike the tobacco, alcohol, and, I might add, the prescription drug industries they do not bribe...um, excuse me.... make campaign contributions to lawmakers.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
29-08-2014, 11:47 AM
(29-08-2014 11:36 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Why are cocaine and opium and pot considered illegal?

Because, unlike the tobacco, alcohol, and, I might add, the prescription drug industries they do not bribe...um, excuse me.... make campaign contributions to lawmakers.

I can't imagine Escobar didn't funnel money into the American Political system and I also imagine that the bastion of opium (Afghanistan) has some financial role in the US.

But in general, I am sure that the brib....contributions pale in comparison.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
29-08-2014, 12:06 PM
The war on drugs is complicated. The drugs that are illegal today are illegal largely because of who used them in the past, rather than any particular properties of the drugs themselves. Cocaine and marijuana, and opium in particular. Some drugs have been outlawed for good reasons. People saw first hand the addictive effects of heroin in the early twentieth century. I think governments are slowly learning that a war on a drugs is not a war you can win, and I think the libertarian ideologies of "live and let live" are starting to take more traction. It will be a long while still before that becomes policy.
29-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Quote:Why are cocaine and opium and pot considered illegal? Why are cigarettes okay along with alcohol?

History and the conservative right (which sorta comes under history).

[Image: oscar.png]
29-08-2014, 10:01 PM
It isn't necessarily a conservative origin; the temperance movement was very much bound up with the contemporaneous progressives...

Certainly it's born of a very traditional puritan ethic - but even that's not so much racism as it is normative traditionalism.

... this is my signature!
30-08-2014, 11:18 AM
(29-08-2014 10:01 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It isn't necessarily a conservative origin; the temperance movement was very much bound up with the contemporaneous progressives...

Certainly it's born of a very traditional puritan ethic - but even that's not so much racism as it is normative traditionalism.

Well at the time temperance did make a lot of sense. I think what happened is, we learned the hard way that you can't legislate morality, trying to do so causes at least as much harm as good, and I also think american's attitude towards alcohol changed some what.
30-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't know how the war on drugs started. There are official "reasons", but as sociologists know, bureaucracies behave with their own crooked internal logic that is oriented more on effects. I heard it was when USA needed another war after Vietnam to keep its economy going and no foreign state was convenient for invasion. So the internal war started.

War on drugs makes lots of sense in its effects. It is a game of whack a mole that allows public spending and police ranks to be kept permanently high. That pleases many public sector employees who get to have a secure employment and higher life standard. It also pleases their superiors, they get to exercise more power and control more funds. They also find more pretexts to make searches of houses, airports, cars, pockets and body cavities for pieces of harmless vegetation.

This should include the prison industry, which in the USA is 25 % prisoners of the whole planet. Although prisons are pretty much well-supplied with drugs, don't ask me how, about half of the inmates are there because of drugs. Drug possession is the new demon possession.

I can only speculate that the drug preponderance keeps the poor in poor state (pun intended), it keeps them docile, vulnerable and prone to constant circulation in and out of prison and always in records. It also shows how necessary the state is because the poor can't help themselves, like they used to before the welfare state.

Wonder for yourself if it makes sense logically.

30-08-2014, 11:41 PM
(30-08-2014 03:13 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I don't know how the war on drugs started. There are official "reasons", but as sociologists know, bureaucracies behave with their own crooked internal logic that is oriented more on effects. I heard it was when USA needed another war after Vietnam to keep its economy going and no foreign state was convenient for invasion. So the internal war started.

War on drugs makes lots of sense in its effects. It is a game of whack a mole that allows public spending and police ranks to be kept permanently high. That pleases many public sector employees who get to have a secure employment and higher life standard. It also pleases their superiors, they get to exercise more power and control more funds. They also find more pretexts to make searches of houses, airports, cars, pockets and body cavities for pieces of harmless vegetation.

This should include the prison industry, which in the USA is 25 % prisoners of the whole planet. Although prisons are pretty much well-supplied with drugs, don't ask me how, about half of the inmates are there because of drugs. Drug possession is the new demon possession.

I can only speculate that the drug preponderance keeps the poor in poor state (pun intended), it keeps them docile, vulnerable and prone to constant circulation in and out of prison and always in records. It also shows how necessary the state is because the poor can't help themselves, like they used to before the welfare state.

Wonder for yourself if it makes sense logically.

LOL Conspiracy! Quote the Prophet Molyneux (pbuh) some more!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post