What is the weirdest thing you have eaten or drank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2015, 12:07 PM
What is the weirdest thing you have eaten or drank?
For me, it was eating live shrimp and drinking snake sake while visiting Japan.

[Image: 440px-Habushu.jpg]

I am interested in hearing some fun stories. I know there should be plenty of people on here that have explored their inner Zimmerman. . .

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: What is the weirdest thing you have eaten or drank?
I had crocodile once in my pre-vegan/veggie days. It tasted like kielbasa.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
08-09-2015, 12:23 PM
I've eaten fairly normal for the past few years, though in the past I've had plenty of things most people would refer to as gross. But weird? Let's see...

Bird's nest soup, which is a soup made with bird saliva extracted from it's nest as a key ingredient, typically eaten for some bullshit Chinese medicinal reason.

Roasted tarantula leg meat in Venezuela, which was actually really fucking good, kind of like crab. It was one of those classic Indiana Jones style "eat it or you'll offend them" moments, and I'm glad I ate it.

Silk worm pupae on a stick. No excuse on that one. I saw it, I bought it, I ate it, it wasn't bad.

Duck blood soup, one of my ex-wife's favorites. We'd always go get it from the same street vendor she'd been getting it form since she was a kid.

Balut, another one I owe to my ex-wife. She thought it was disgusting but her uncle sold them.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
08-09-2015, 12:24 PM
(08-09-2015 12:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had crocodile once in my pre-vegan/veggie days. It tasted like kielbasa.

Kielbasa? Laugh out load That is far from what I would expect it to taste like. I have had alligator and it reminded me of eating shark which tastes like a cross between chicken and fish. Where did you encounter crocodile?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
08-09-2015, 12:28 PM
(08-09-2015 12:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've eaten fairly normal for the past few years, though in the past I've had plenty of things most people would refer to as gross. But weird? Let's see...

Bird's nest soup, which is a soup made with bird saliva extracted from it's nest as a key ingredient, typically eaten for some bullshit Chinese medicinal reason.

Roasted tarantula leg meat in Venezuela, which was actually really fucking good, kind of like crab. It was one of those classic Indiana Jones style "eat it or you'll offend them" moments, and I'm glad I ate it.

Silk worm pupae on a stick. No excuse on that one. I saw it, I bought it, I ate it, it wasn't bad.

Duck blood soup, one of my ex-wife's favorites. We'd always go get it from the same street vendor she'd been getting it form since she was a kid.

Balut, another one I owe to my ex-wife. She thought it was disgusting but her uncle sold them.

I grew up with a large family of Chinese refugees from Vietnam as friends of our family and have tried the birds nest soup as well as shark fin soup. My hat is off to you on the balut. I don't know if I would be brave enough to try that one. I will have to try tarantula some day now that I know it's good. Never had duck blood soup, but I have had pho with congealed ox blood. I haven't tired pupae either. But I have heard if you roast them they taste like bacon

[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
08-09-2015, 12:32 PM
(08-09-2015 12:24 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 12:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had crocodile once in my pre-vegan/veggie days. It tasted like kielbasa.

Kielbasa? Laugh out load That is far from what I would expect it to taste like. I have had alligator and it reminded me of eating shark which tastes like a cross between chicken and fish. Where did you encounter crocodile?

It was back when I was living in MA. They have some weird little restaurants in Cambridge and that's where I had it.
08-09-2015, 12:32 PM
(08-09-2015 12:28 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 12:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've eaten fairly normal for the past few years, though in the past I've had plenty of things most people would refer to as gross. But weird? Let's see...

I grew up with a large family of Chinese refugees from Vietnam as friends of our family and have tried the birds nest soup as well as shark fin soup. My hat is off to you on the balut. I don't know if I would be brave enough to try that one. I will have to try tarantula some day now that I know it's good. Never had duck blood soup, but I have had pho with congealed ox blood. I haven't tired pupae either. But I have heard if you roast them they taste like bacon

The balut I can best describe as being like a boiled egg with crunchy liver inside :/ For the tarantula to be good it has to be an unusually large one, like one of those bird catchers. A good one is very hard to find, hence the "eat it or you'll insult them" thing. But if you find a big enough spider they've got meat inside just like a crab leg. Most are too small for it to be worth it. You'd probably find the duck blood almost the same as the ox blood. When I was in Mongolia we also had sheep blood soup a few times, and it was the same sort of thing. Congealed and cut into strips with a taste and consistency that kind of reminds you of salty tofu.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I usually try anything once. So I've tried some (what most people consider) Strange.

Escargot
[Image: Escargots-de-Bourgogne.jpg]
WHICH WAS AMAZING! If you ever get the chance you have to try it. Tasted like melted butter and garlic.

Dried Grubs
[Image: dried-mealworms-close-up_m10o-e8_2u8w-m1...1438874123]

Tasted like really light Cheetos. It was ok.

Century-eggs
[Image: Century-eggs1ff-720x340.jpg]
Tasted like a scrabbled egg. If it was hard boiled. I'll stick with just the normal scrabbled eggs thou.

As for drink, I can't think of anything out of the ordinary.

There was that time I drank large amounts of Dihydrogen monoxide I almost stop breathing.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
08-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Well, there was this one girl who was really strange... Evil_monster

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 7 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
08-09-2015, 12:38 PM
(08-09-2015 12:34 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I usually try anything once. So I've tried some (what most people consider) Strange.

Escargot
[Image: Escargots-de-Bourgogne.jpg]
WHICH WAS AMAZING! If you ever get the chance you have to try it. Tasted like melted butter and garlic.

Dried Grubs
[Image: dried-mealworms-close-up_m10o-e8_2u8w-m1...1438874123]

Tasted like really light Cheetos. It was ok.

Century-eggs
[Image: Century-eggs1ff-720x340.jpg]
Tasted like a scrabbled egg. If it was hard boiled. I'll stick with just the normal scrabbled eggs thou.

As for drink, I can't think of anything out of the ordinary.

There was that time I drank large amounts of Dihydrogen monoxide I almost stop breathing.

Oh yeah I used to eat lots of those century eggs. "Fresh", if you could call it that, they are pretty good. I tried a few of the packaged ones from the Chinese markets back in the states, and they were disgusting.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post