What is the weirdest thing you have eaten or drank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
RE: What is the weirdest thing you have eaten or drank?
(11-09-2015 11:36 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 11:33 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  How was it prepared? The first time I had octopus, I thought it was rubbery, bad tasting, and generally disgusting.

Now that I've had it prepared well, I freaking love it.

It was very undercooked, maybe even not cooked. It was part of a sushi line-up. Generally I am very open to all foods. Textures, tastes etc are very easy to get along with but in this instance it was horrible.

That sounds similar to my first taste of it. Undercooked, rubbery, poorly seasoned.

If you get the chance to try it somewhere that fully cooks it, I'd recommend you give it another chance. It really is delicious when properly cooked and seasoned.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
11-09-2015, 11:41 AM
(11-09-2015 11:18 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  When I was 10 years old my grandpa forced me to slaughter and gut 2 piglets and 2 pigs, claiming it would "make you a real man".

For some reason the taste of that pork was different and weird.

Remember in Red Dawn, both the original and the remake, where drinking the blood is a tradition for the first kill? My stepfather made me to do that the first time I killed a moose lol.

'Murican Canadian
11-09-2015, 11:41 AM
What is the weirdest thing you have eaten or drank?
(11-09-2015 11:40 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 11:36 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  It was very undercooked, maybe even not cooked. It was part of a sushi line-up. Generally I am very open to all foods. Textures, tastes etc are very easy to get along with but in this instance it was horrible.

That sounds similar to my first taste of it. Undercooked, rubbery, poorly seasoned.

If you get the chance to try it somewhere that fully cooks it, I'd recommend you give it another chance. It really is delicious when properly cooked and seasoned.

Taken under advisement! Perhaps I shall some day. Smile

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
11-09-2015, 12:01 PM
(11-09-2015 11:10 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  In the attachment are two deep fried guinea pigs, head on (not for the faint of heart).

Those look pretty good...

I'd imagine they taste a lot like rabbit; do they?

... this is my signature!
11-09-2015, 12:04 PM
(09-09-2015 05:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A local bar had a rattlesnake roast -- had rattlesnake, turtle, frog legs and crocodile -- none of which tasted like chicken.....

The worst was the turtle -- not only did it taste bad - it was so rubbery you about wore your jaw out, chewing it....

Crocodile? probably actually alligator, if it's in the US.

Of all the things that didn't taste like chicken, alligator really and truly did, when I've had it.

... this is my signature!
11-09-2015, 12:22 PM
(11-09-2015 12:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 05:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A local bar had a rattlesnake roast -- had rattlesnake, turtle, frog legs and crocodile -- none of which tasted like chicken.....

The worst was the turtle -- not only did it taste bad - it was so rubbery you about wore your jaw out, chewing it....

Crocodile? probably actually alligator, if it's in the US.

Of all the things that didn't taste like chicken, alligator really and truly did, when I've had it.

People always say they heard dog tastes like chicken. I thought it was more like rabbit.

'Murican Canadian
11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
(11-09-2015 11:41 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 11:18 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  When I was 10 years old my grandpa forced me to slaughter and gut 2 piglets and 2 pigs, claiming it would "make you a real man".

For some reason the taste of that pork was different and weird.

Remember in Red Dawn, both the original and the remake, where drinking the blood is a tradition for the first kill? My stepfather made me to do that the first time I killed a moose lol.

Please dont tell me your stepdad did that just cause he saw it in a movie?

At least my grandpa grew up in a time of poverty where what little you had was provided by your own hard efforts of working the fields and stables from 4 in the morning to 8 pm.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
11-09-2015, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 01:31 PM by yakherder.)
(11-09-2015 12:41 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 11:41 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Remember in Red Dawn, both the original and the remake, where drinking the blood is a tradition for the first kill? My stepfather made me to do that the first time I killed a moose lol.

Please dont tell me your stepdad did that just cause he saw it in a movie?

At least my grandpa grew up in a time of poverty where what little you had was provided by your own hard efforts of working the fields and stables from 4 in the morning to 8 pm.

Nah it really is tradition for a lot of people, and he could have been straight out of an 1800s life on the prairie movie, except in Alaska. He was all into that kind of stuff. Most of what I know about hunting, guns, wilderness survival, cars, do it yourself carpentry, boating, etc., was taught to me by my stepfather.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
11-09-2015, 02:14 PM
(11-09-2015 01:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 12:41 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Please dont tell me your stepdad did that just cause he saw it in a movie?

Nah it really is tradition for a lot of people, and he could have been straight out of an 1800s life on the prairie movie, except in Alaska. He was all into that kind of stuff. Most of what I know about hunting, guns, wilderness survival, cars, do it yourself carpentry, boating, etc., was taught to me by my stepfather.

Alaska. Explains everything Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
11-09-2015, 07:36 PM
(11-09-2015 11:28 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I had octopus once....never again.

Prepared badly, it's awful. Prepared well, it's good.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post