What is the worst argument for God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: What is the worst argument for God?
The mass delusion of people in Europe over some supposed celestial event. Dodgy

The one I absolutely despise the most though, is the non sequitor that if someone were to disprove evolution, it would somehow mean that god exists. I can't compute the stupid in this argument from ignorance.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
(08-04-2013 01:19 PM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  I've hear quite a few people say, they believe in God, but "he's not a person, he's a force within us all, a force of love and human interaction".
I'm not quite sure I'm comfortable with someone being inside me at all.

Consenting adult or not, no means no. Carry on. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
08-04-2013, 07:39 PM
By far, the worst is Paschal's(sp?) Wager.

Not only is it IMMENSELY popular in my area. It is IMMENSELY annoying to dismantle it again and again and again. It is a false dichotomy, pure and simple. There is no believe in God and go to heaven, or don't believe in God and go to hell.

What if the God you believe in isn't the right one? Then Hell for you! What if God decided that the only ones worth going to heaven were the atheists? Then Hell for the believers!

The fact that the flaw in the argument is so glaringly obvious (they completely discount the fact that you have I worship the right god to get into heaven) pisses me off when theists use it.

Just the other day, the religion teacher tried her damn hardest to out "argue" me. The Wager was one of the arguments I groaned and completely dismantled right in front of her. It was nonsense when Paschal made it up, and it's nonsense now.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
I really don't care for these atheist circle jerk / reinforce my atheism threads but the title caught my eye. Easily the worst argument is irreducible complexity.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-04-2013, 08:19 PM
(08-04-2013 07:48 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I really don't care for these atheist circle jerk / reinforce my atheism threads but the title caught my eye. Easily the worst argument is irreducible complexity.

For those of us who have been on here a while, they repeat. However, keep in mind there are new users ever day, lots of "AHA!" moments for new people. So for some it seems like a circle jerk, for others they are just diving in. We were all there once, usually (unless you were one of the few that didn't believe in the shit to begin with).

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
08-04-2013, 08:23 PM
(08-04-2013 08:19 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 07:48 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I really don't care for these atheist circle jerk / reinforce my atheism threads but the title caught my eye. Easily the worst argument is irreducible complexity.

For those of us who have been on here a while, they repeat. However, keep in mind there are new users ever day, lots of "AHA!" moments for new people. So for some it seems like a circle jerk, for others they are just diving in. We were all there once, usually (unless you were one of the few that didn't believe in the shit to begin with).

The majority of posts are actually more for the peanut gallery (the visitors and non-posting members just hanging out in the wings) than for anyone directly involved. Debate almost never convinces the person your are having the debate with but it does affect the people listening.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Hehehe... GermanyT said "circle jerk" Laughat

Besides Pascals wager, the one that gets to me is "are you sure?". Not in the whole PW sense, but in the sense of "are you sure (insert anything to do with faith-building exercises that religion has concocted) really didn't happen? How can you be so sure?"

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-04-2013, 03:09 AM
n RE: What is the worst argument for God?
(08-04-2013 06:32 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 01:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  At Fatima there was a large crowd, tens of thousands of people, many of whom reported seeing some kind of solar event. I don't think this fits into the category of 1 or 2.

It started with the "apparition" of the virgin Mary to three kids then later a UFO appeared Laughat

The event:
People witnessing the event.
The people had gathered because three young shepherd children had predicted that at high noon the Blessed Virgin Mary would appear in a field in an area of Fatima called Cova da Iria. According to many witnesses, after a period of rain, the dark clouds broke and the sun appeared as an opaque, spinning disc in the sky.[4] It was said to be significantly duller than normal, and to cast multicolored lights across the landscape, the shadows on the landscape, the people, and the surrounding clouds.[4] The sun was then reported to have careened towards the earth in a zigzag pattern,[4] frightening those who thought it a sign of the end of the world.[5]

The sun careened towards earth in a zigzag pattern...that just HAS to be true!

I'm not saying it is true. I am saying it was witnessed by lots of people who were not children or drunks as you suggested.
09-04-2013, 03:25 AM
This is pretty bad.

This one is even worse. Absolutely clueless about how logic works. Rolleyes

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
09-04-2013, 05:40 AM
f_stop - I think you need to work on your Poe-spotting skills Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post