What is the worst argument for God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Re: What is the worst argument for God?
The fact that staring at the sun for prolonged periods of time can induce delusions similar to those described isn't coincidental enough for you? How about, they were all told to look at the sun for something and only after staring long enough did anyone report to have seen something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2013, 05:56 AM
RE: n What is the worst argument for God?
(09-04-2013 03:09 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 06:32 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It started with the "apparition" of the virgin Mary to three kids then later a UFO appeared Laughat

The event:
People witnessing the event.
The people had gathered because three young shepherd children had predicted that at high noon the Blessed Virgin Mary would appear in a field in an area of Fatima called Cova da Iria. According to many witnesses, after a period of rain, the dark clouds broke and the sun appeared as an opaque, spinning disc in the sky.[4] It was said to be significantly duller than normal, and to cast multicolored lights across the landscape, the shadows on the landscape, the people, and the surrounding clouds.[4] The sun was then reported to have careened towards the earth in a zigzag pattern,[4] frightening those who thought it a sign of the end of the world.[5]

The sun careened towards earth in a zigzag pattern...that just HAS to be true!

I'm not saying it is true. I am saying it was witnessed by lots of people who were not children or drunks as you suggested.

Point taken. I was referring to the original apparition to the three young girls.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-04-2013, 06:02 AM
RE: What is the worst argument for God?
(08-04-2013 07:48 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I really don't care for these atheist circle jerk / reinforce my atheism threads but the title caught my eye. Easily the worst argument is irreducible complexity.

Glad to see you participating in the circle-jerk Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Definitely the Pascal's Wager argument. Also the "atheist believe in nothing", . . . which you'll maybe even find the absurd quote [paraphrased], "if you believe in nothing, you'll fall for anything".
09-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Ohh I got a good one.
"If there is no God, then there is no point in living"

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-04-2013, 08:45 AM
The "no morals without god" one is pretty absurd too, . . . . . . . . because they totally forget that the same "god" called for the death of . . . witches, gays, following other "gods", working on the sabbath, etc. . . .
09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
(09-04-2013 05:40 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  f_stop - I think you need to work on your Poe-spotting skills Wink
Poe? As in Edgar Allan?

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
09-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I've got a mate who regularly trots out the "you dismiss God before you've even started by assuming everything can be explained without God" one... I dunno if it's the worst. But it definitely grates my carrot.

Why would I assume some complex entity + sin + hell + everything else just to explain why my experiment fucked out ?
09-04-2013, 04:02 PM
(09-04-2013 03:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  I've got a mate who regularly trots out the "you dismiss God before you've even started by assuming everything can be explained without God" one... I dunno if it's the worst. But it definitely grates my carrot.

Why would I assume some complex entity + sin + hell + everything else just to explain why my experiment fucked out ?

So you don't have to take responsibility and blame yourself?Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I saw someone state the banana argument so I will post the video just for our viewing pleasure or for those who wish to lose a few brain cells in the process.

The main reason I show this is because I believe a large number of the opposition don't truly try to find reasons to believe in a deity/deities but rather see ordinary things and attribute them to some higher being. (Of course while also completely ignoring all the other poor designs among are universe.)

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post