What is the worst "proof god exists" argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2011, 12:46 AM
RE: What is the worst "proof god exists" argument
The argument from design is a really bad one.

We have billions of people occupying a planet subjected to all manner of beasts, miseries and disasters --to be tested from ,say, foetus to 100 yrs, for god knows what; and it is claimed we live in the best possible world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2011 01:23 AM by No J..)
(29-09-2011 12:44 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(29-09-2011 12:31 AM)No J. Wrote:  All other gods are fake, but my god is the real one. People who believe in other gods are deluding themselves. I know I believe in the real god.

You're wrong! I'M GOD! Now worship me and tithe to me 73.1% of your annual income. If you don't, you will surely rot in Hell. Dodgy

IMO, the worst argument is "you can't prove he doesn't exist!"

I just quit my job, so 71.3% of $0 is $0.Big Grin
(29-09-2011 12:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  If you think about it, it is very funny to see theist trying to "prove" god's existence, because he/she/it will stop being God if we had proof that he/she/it existed. Think about it, theists "believe", if they had proof, they would stop believing and they would know it for a fact, but then again, so would we and all others. Then religion stops existing as it is today and God becomes something natural, not supernatural anymore. So the whole "proof that God exists" argument is completely BS, anti-religious, blasphemous and wrong in every aspect, from theist point of view. That argument is something we atheists use and it should not be used by theists. So everything they say is wrong and funny and shows their ignorance about religions in general.

Good point.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
29-09-2011, 07:03 AM

(29-09-2011 12:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  Think about it, theists "believe", if they had proof, they would stop believing and they would know it for a fact, but then again, so would we and all others. Then religion stops existing as it is today and God becomes something natural, not supernatural anymore.

This line should go into the TTA Hall of Fame.

You mean we don't have one?

OK, I will start one with this beauty.
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 07:48 AM
I was struck speechless by this lady who actually belives that "god" is watching her via a wooden closet door with two wood knots for eyes. I can't the video but I know it's on "penn & teller's bullshit" show.

I was going to facepalm but while on it's way to my face my hand saw the screen and became too dumbfounded to move.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
29-09-2011, 07:56 AM
(29-09-2011 12:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  If you think about it, it is very funny to see theist trying to "prove" god's existence, because he/she/it will stop being God if we had proof that he/she/it existed. Think about it, theists "believe", if they had proof, they would stop believing and they would know it for a fact, but then again, so would we and all others. Then religion stops existing as it is today and God becomes something natural, not supernatural anymore. So the whole "proof that God exists" argument is completely BS, anti-religious, blasphemous and wrong in every aspect, from theist point of view. That argument is something we atheists use and it should not be used by theists. So everything they say is wrong and funny and shows their ignorance about religions in general.

This might be the best explanation I've ever had for how I turned out atheist. My parents were dirt poor hillbillies from the back woods of Tennessee so they weren't educated, hell my mom went 3 months in the first grade! So they were so ignorant or naive that they believed facts were provable and therefore if god was fact he could be proved as well. My mom could read (probably as well as I can) because my grandparents did teach her how, but my dad reads about 4th grade level.

My parents were also literalists so when the Bible says "you shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover" you could take that to the bank. They bought the fellow believers excuses such as "not enough faith" and so on but I did not. My mother died of cancer rather than go to the doctor because it would be showing a lack of faith and weak faith was the only barrier she could accept for not being healed.

This all explains why I don't understand the "we can't know" way of thinking. In my deepest psychological make-up I cannot believe there is anything that is both real and untestable. Things may appear to be unknowable but given time and resources I believe they eventually can be. Maybe you could call that my faith???

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Speaking of philosophers, i also liked Descartes' logic:
paraphrasing: I looked deep into my head and found me, thinking, and then I found God"

Sensible, actually, given the Inquisition's way of critiquing new publications.
I wonder how many "proofs" are equally bogus and self-serving; intended not to convince anyone about God, but to convince theists of one's loyalty.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
29-09-2011, 05:21 PM
"The Bible says God exists.
The Bible is the Word of God.
The Bible says God is never wrong.
Therefore The Bible cannot be wrong.
Therefore God exists."

Oh the logical fallacies that abound in that line of reasoning.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
29-09-2011, 06:01 PM
(29-09-2011 07:48 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I was struck speechless by this lady who actually belives that "god" is watching her via a wooden closet door with two wood knots for eyes. I can't the video but I know it's on "penn & teller's bullshit" show.

I was going to facepalm but while on it's way to my face my hand saw the screen and became too dumbfounded to move.

It wasn't even two door knobs, it was the grain of the wood. Funnier was the jerk who viewed it and made a great, and totally fake sounding, fuss about it. You could just tell he wanted to be on TV.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Without those bad arguments, the anti-religious would get bored. You can only talk about Religious endorsing things like hate and rape for so long,before you need a good joke to lighten the mood.
29-09-2011, 07:40 PM
(29-09-2011 07:03 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(29-09-2011 12:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  Think about it, theists "believe", if they had proof, they would stop believing and they would know it for a fact, but then again, so would we and all others. Then religion stops existing as it is today and God becomes something natural, not supernatural anymore.

This line should go into the TTA Hall of Fame.

You mean we don't have one?

OK, I will start one with this beauty.

Hmmmm! Not sure Zatamom the 'fact'/ 'belief' dichotomy, really bugs me....
Sorry Filox but I cant give you my vote for TTA/HOF.Tongue