RE: What is this??
is that strip of sandpaper?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2017, 08:03 PM
(08-07-2017 07:48 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Honestly Jennybee, the more I think about that thing the more I think you may want to consider taking it to your local Agriculture Dept. (assuming your area has one) and asking them if they know what it is.

And seriously, what is that second contraption you posted here?

I think Rockblossum had it right, I think it's an oak gall. Plus, if it is a wasp nest, I don't really want to put that in my jeep Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-07-2017, 08:03 PM
(08-07-2017 07:59 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  is that strip of sandpaper?

I'm not sure Consider

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-07-2017, 07:42 AM
(08-07-2017 03:06 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  This one is probably a "gimme" here. I have one almost like this and use it regularly.

[Image: 6db2f82d2a9a424fdcbdaa2c3dbfce13--victor...n-hair.jpg]

It's pretty whatever it is. Is it a candle holder? Or a potpourri bowl with cover?

09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
It is a Victorian era "hair receiver." You clean all the hair out of your brush and stuff it in the hole. Then when you wear your hair up Gibson-girl poofy style, you open the top and stuff your own hair inside the poofs. It matches your own hair color and costs nothing. I use it in 1940s styles for swing dances. (These pictures are not me)

[Image: Gibson%2BGirls%2B%25286%2529.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbsi6r1gBhJv7e8kqMmia...4IHlNhE8ra]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
09-07-2017, 09:39 AM
(09-07-2017 08:41 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  It is a Victorian era "hair receiver." You clean all the hair out of your brush and stuff it in the hole. Then when you wear your hair up Gibson-girl poofy style, you open the top and stuff your own hair inside the poofs. It matches your own hair color and costs nothing. I use it in 1940s styles for swing dances. (These pictures are not me)

[Image: Gibson%2BGirls%2B%25286%2529.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbsi6r1gBhJv7e8kqMmia...4IHlNhE8ra]

Oh wow, I didn't even know there was such a thing. How interesting! Although, I think it would be weird for your boyfriend/SO if you were in the heat of passion and he tries to get your hair loose from your bun and he gets a clump of your hair in his hand instead Laugh out load

09-07-2017, 09:49 AM
(08-07-2017 01:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...

[Image: IMG_2007-e1430850800521.jpg]

I'd be guessing some sort of currency counter, possibly coins? Maybe you set the slide pointer along the top scale to a specific coin size (nickel, quarter, dollar etc) and then rotate the handle on the lower right to pull the tray along the axis of the tube. The coins of the chosen dimension then slide into individual trays inside the tube?

Dunno really. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-07-2017, 09:58 AM
(08-07-2017 03:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ?....

[Image: IMG_5186.JPG]

A pencil sharpener maybe? Or some other sort of sharpening device? That looks like emery paper, which would be replaceable. I'd guess the rack would rotate a pinion gear whose axis is around the tube that's sticking out, and would rotate it as you manually push the block from one end to the other.

Again, really dunno. Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-07-2017, 10:57 AM
(09-07-2017 09:58 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 03:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ?....

[Image: IMG_5186.JPG]

A pencil sharpener maybe? Or some other sort of sharpening device? That looks like emery paper, which would be replaceable. I'd guess the rack would rotate a pinion gear whose axis is around the tube that's sticking out, and would rotate it as you manually push the block from one end to the other.

Again, really dunno. Consider

Yup, antique pencil sharpener. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-07-2017, 11:37 AM
It saddens me to see how far we have back-peddled in the last hundred years or so. Back then, they could cure ANYTHING and you could usually buy it in the Sears catalog. Baldness, small breasts, liver problems, alcohol addiction, you name it, they could cure it...

This contraption would fix nearly any "male" ailment you can think of, including depletion from over-masturbation:
[Image: heidelbergelectricbelt.jpg]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post