What is this FB sharing business?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 09:20 AM
What is this FB sharing business?
I see many of my friends "sharing" pictures and God shit begging to be shared if I agree (which I never do) all over my page. What's with this special pleading? Does the original poster get money and shit for a certain number of shares?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 09:45 AM
RE: What is this FB sharing business?
I've wondered that myself. "This baby starved in a basement while being bitten by ants and dogs. If you're against this share. If you think its not a problem ignore."

I don't know what the deal is. I think people just like to see how far and wide their shit can spread on Facebook. Maybe they keep track of whose gullible enough to actually share the message--then they come back and sell them "Miracle Spring Water."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gordon's post
03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
(03-01-2015 09:45 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I've wondered that myself. "This baby starved in a basement while being bitten by ants and dogs. If you're against this share. If you think its not a problem ignore."

I don't know what the deal is. I think people just like to see how far and wide their shit can spread on Facebook.

I guess they get some sort of notification every time someone shares it then. Yes?

(03-01-2015 09:45 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Maybe they keep track of whose gullible enough to actually share the message--then they come back and sell them "Miracle Spring Water."

That actually makes sense. Kudos to them if that's what they're doing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
The only thing I share is what Seth shares with me.

Big Grin

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
03-01-2015, 10:52 AM
(03-01-2015 10:49 AM)Free Wrote:  The only thing I share is what Seth shares with me.

Big Grin

What happens in Okiehomo stays in Okiehomo.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-01-2015, 10:56 AM
What's wrong with miracle spring water?
Popoff sent me some, it tastes just like tap water. Smile
03-01-2015, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 11:16 AM by GenericBox.)
As someone in the advertising industry, maybe I can shed some light.

It is to sell likes, interactions, and other general social media statistics -- to give a company or more specifically, a specific advertising campaign -- more instant traction. Meaning from day one they will have xxxxx likes, and xxxxxxxx interactions and xxxxx shares etc -- all of which will help it instantly appear on News Feeds (via Facebook/social networks "Quality" score) -- and also improve general SEO ranking because search engines use the same stats.

It drives me nuts. The most common one you see these days are the "competitions". For instance "Virgin Atlantic, " (notice the comma) -- like and share for the chance to win 2 tickets to blah blah blah. There are no 2 tickets, and when I pointed this out to a friend who shared it -- they responded "what's the harm".

The harm is is that some advertising agency will buy that account soon, rename it, give it a URL, and Kellog's (edit: I should probably disclaimer this that I was using it as an example -- I have no idea, and seriously doubt, Kellog's agency would do such a thing) summer campaign has a new Facebook page ready to go.

Meanwhile, the people who make the money from this transaction remain fairly anonymous -- it's a relatively black market (because it violates Facebook's rules) -- and most likely have links to organised crime and/or terrorism -- but I'm only speculating there.

So point being, don't share, or like, or engage in any way with pages like this -- only helps drive the cost up for someone to sell that page on.
[+] 2 users Like GenericBox's post
03-01-2015, 11:21 AM
You can usually tell if a page is for this purpose, because they won't have used Facebook's URL tool yet, so the page URL will be like:

"Virgin Atlantic, "
facebook.com/pages/90890183123890890211280/
03-01-2015, 11:27 AM
(03-01-2015 11:13 AM)GenericBox Wrote:  Meanwhile, the people who make the money from this transaction remain fairly anonymous -- it's a relatively black market (because it violates Facebook's rules) -- and most likely have links to organised crime and/or terrorism -- but I'm only speculating there.

Based on the primary focus on Religiousmosity that makes sense.

03-01-2015, 11:28 AM
It would appear that gawd watches Facebook quite closely to see who's naughty or nice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat