What is this called?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
What is this called?
I know this has to do with psychology or a way of thinking or something like that.

I don't know why I do this.

When it comes to small amounts and multiple purchases I'm pretty liberal... I don't go crazy or anything, but I don't give it much thought. However, when it comes to a single, large purchase, I'm a niggard.

For instance: I'll buy gum every couple of days for $1.50 but I have never bought them in bulk... I could literally gets hundreds of percent more gum for my money if I bought it in bulk, but I can never justify paying $10 on a box of gum... even though I'm going to spend that much on gum in the coming weeks and get less.

I see myself doing the exact same thing with multiple purchases in my life.

It's like I can justify in my head at the time to pay a little for less than more for way more.

Makes sense?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: What is this called?
Backward thinking when you figure it all out.

If it's something you KNOW you will use/eat whatever, then going bulk is the better deal.

But if you think all things packaged in bulk are a deal, you haven't done the math.

Just be sure you aren't buying a 'deal' just because it looks like a deal. If it's something you won't use or will go bad before you can use it all, then it's not a good thing.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-05-2013, 06:19 PM
(05-05-2013 06:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know this has to do with psychology or a way of thinking or something like that.

When it comes to small amounts and multiple purchases I'm pretty liberal... I don't go crazy or anything, but I don't give it much thought. However, when it comes to a single, large purchase, I'm a niggard.

For instance: I'll buy gum every couple of days for $1.50 but I have never bought them in bulk... I could literally gets hundreds of percent more gum for my money if I bought it in bulk, but I can never justify paying $10 on a box of gum... even though I'm going to spend that much on gum in the coming weeks and get less.

It's like I can justify in my head at the time to pay a little for less than more for way more.

Makes sense?

You don't shop at Sam's or BJ's do you?

So what do you do when you have to buy a car for instance?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-05-2013, 06:27 PM
I'll give you an example of when I think it's worth it to buy bulk. At the store last week they had three packs of toothpaste at the normal price as well as four packs of toothbrushes at normal price. There was a choice of more than one kind of toothpaste and while we don't need 6 tubes right now, the expiration dates were far enough out to make it worthwhile. On top of that, if you bought any combination of three of those combo pack you got a five dollar gift card. I went for it since it was brands we use. Had it been brand we don't use, I would have passed.

I also buy a brand of mints in rolls in five packs for $2.49. At the register, one pack would be nearly a dollar. That would work with your gum purchases too.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-05-2013, 06:33 PM
(05-05-2013 06:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 06:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know this has to do with psychology or a way of thinking or something like that.

Makes sense?

You don't shop at Sam's or BJ's do you?

QC does. She buys in bulk.

As for the car thing, I think that's a completely different category. We've bought 2 cars and a house... it's not like buying food and stuff.

05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
(05-05-2013 06:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You don't shop at Sam's or BJ's do you?

There's a store called BlowJob? Blink

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
(05-05-2013 06:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I'll give you an example of when I think it's worth it to buy bulk. At the store last week they had three packs of toothpaste at the normal price as well as four packs of toothbrushes at normal price. There was a choice of more than one kind of toothpaste and while we don't need 6 tubes right now, the expiration dates were far enough out to make it worthwhile. On top of that, if you bought any combination of three of those combo pack you got a five dollar gift card. I went for it since it was brands we use. Had it been brand we don't use, I would have passed.

I also buy a brand of mints in rolls in five packs for $2.49. At the register, one pack would be nearly a dollar. That would work with your gum purchases too.

Yeah, Jess does that. She's better at shopping than me. I think I'm just too impatient.

05-05-2013, 06:37 PM
(05-05-2013 06:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 06:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You don't shop at Sam's or BJ's do you?

QC does. She buys in bulk.

As for the car thing, I think that's a completely different category. We've bought 2 cars and a house... it's not like buying food and stuff.

A suggestion, let QC buy you the gum, in fact give her all your cash Yes you've lost your currency privileges.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
05-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Makes sense?

Penny wise and pound foolish. A lot of people are like that, they don't like spending over a certain amount on a luxury item even if by spending a little more they are actually saving money. A tool personal financial advisors use is to make a list of everything you spend money on in a month from that $1.50 gum purchase to the mortgage and insurance payments and go through to see situations like this. You might find other things that you can save money doing. Put it in a savings account and use it as a slush fund for something for the family (depending on how much we are talking about it could be a nice dinner or even a little vacation). Something to think about.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
05-05-2013, 07:23 PM
You've probably done this Kingsy but, many people are unaware...

Check out the little yellow shelf prices that have all the info. There is a place where it will tell you how much the item is per unit price at that weight or that package. The next item on the shelf might be the exact same thing and even same brand but in bulk. You can see the difference in cents you are paying per unit price for exactly the same thing. Often it's only a few cents per unit price but those few cents can amount to dollars. Over time, it can become a lot of dollars. Really, it's not what you buy, it's how you buy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post