What is this called?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: What is this called?
(05-05-2013 06:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 06:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know this has to do with psychology or a way of thinking or something like that.

I don't know why I do this.

When it comes to small amounts and multiple purchases I'm pretty liberal... I don't go crazy or anything, but I don't give it much thought. However, when it comes to a single, large purchase, I'm a niggard.

For instance: I'll buy gum every couple of days for $1.50 but I have never bought them in bulk... I could literally gets hundreds of percent more gum for my money if I bought it in bulk, but I can never justify paying $10 on a box of gum... even though I'm going to spend that much on gum in the coming weeks and get less.

I see myself doing the exact same thing with multiple purchases in my life.

It's like I can justify in my head at the time to pay a little for less than more for way more.

Makes sense?

You don't shop at Sam's or BJ's do you?

So what do you do when you have to buy a car for instance?

I love BJ's.

Never been to the store, though. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
What is this called?

Penny wise and dollar stupid. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
(05-05-2013 07:51 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 06:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You don't shop at Sam's or BJ's do you?

So what do you do when you have to buy a car for instance?

I love BJ's.

Never been to the store, though. Drinking Beverage

Me too Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
This is called instant gratification. The gum feels like more money so you don't feel the benefit right away, but 10 percent off a large item is an instant deal.
05-05-2013, 11:09 PM
(05-05-2013 06:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know this has to do with psychology or a way of thinking or something like that.

When it comes to small amounts and multiple purchases I'm pretty liberal... I don't go crazy or anything, but I don't give it much thought. However, when it comes to a single, large purchase, I'm a niggard.

For instance: I'll buy gum every couple of days for $1.50 but I have never bought them in bulk... I could literally gets hundreds of percent more gum for my money if I bought it in bulk, but I can never justify paying $10 on a box of gum... even though I'm going to spend that much on gum in the coming weeks and get less.

It's like I can justify in my head at the time to pay a little for less than more for way more.

Makes sense?

You enjoy impulse shopping more than savvy or efficient shopping

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
05-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Makes sense?

What was your experience as a child with buying expensive things that weren't necessary?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
05-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Yea I do the same thing.
Especially with the buy 2 specials.
Like, I know I'm going to drink that same energy drink tomorrow so why not pay $5 and buy two today?
But nooo I can't justify spending $5 so I pay $3 for 1 can and then I just do the same the next day...

I think it's because I think I'll drink it.
Like if I have 1 I'll drink that, but if I have two I'll probably drink the second one later that day and still buy another one the following day anyway...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
(05-05-2013 11:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea I do the same thing.
Especially with the buy 2 specials.
Like, I know I'm going to drink that same energy drink tomorrow so why not pay $5 and buy two today?
But nooo I can't justify spending $5 so I pay $3 for 1 can and then I just do the same the next day...

I think it's because I think I'll drink it.
Like if I have 1 I'll drink that, but if I have two I'll probably drink the second one later that day and still buy another one the following day anyway...

This. You know what. I think that may be it.

This may be my problem.

Especially when it comes to Freemium games that I play.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Okay, BJ jokes aside... Big Grin

Could it be that you're playing the marketing system differently?

You're not in a hurry with discounts, you have a less likely chance of being caught up with a particular brand loyalty when buying certain items.

Gonna stop there before it looks like I'm giving a horoscope to your shopping habits . Laughat

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Big numbers are scary. You feel less guilty making small purchases, even if you make a shitload of them. It adds up though, buy in bulk, fight your instinct. I only buy drinks from convenient stores or vending machines on rare occasions. It is a hell of a lot cheaper to buy them in cases or packs and I rarely drive more than an hour away from home, so I can wait. I'm not a regular gum-chewer, but if you can get it cheaper buying in bulk, do it. It doesn't expire for years I'd imagine, and it doesn't take up muck space, seems like a no-brainer to me. Now, if only I could buy beer in bulk cost effectively I could save some real dough.

As I noted gum doesn't take up much space, but it doesn't always make a lot of sense to buy in bulk even if you are purchasing non-perishable items. You could probably save money by buying toilet paper or paper towels but if you don't have the a lot of extra space, it probably isn't worth it.

I don't know if I really answered you inquiry or really responded to the spirit of your question, but buy your gum in bulk if you can. Especially if you belong to a membership to a warehouse type store like Sam's Club or subscribe to a service like Amazon Prime.