What is this nonsense?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2016, 01:32 PM
What is this nonsense?
I'm having an online conversation with someone who believes that the Vedas prophesied Jesus. So I looked it up and from what I can see it's a prophecy from the Bhavishya Purana which was altered by the British while occupying India. But this person in the discussion is saying it goes back to the Vedas . Obviously it's hokem and my understanding of the Vedas is pretty slim. Hinduism is such a mish-mash of numerous gods and crap. It's like a huge stew of nonsense.

Anyone knowledgeable about the Hindu religion have any information on this silliness?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2016, 01:39 PM
RE: What is this nonsense?
People say everything was a prophecy about Jesus and/or the Bible. There are people who believe Hanzi references Genesis, for example. I posted on this awhile back.

Which in particular are they referring to re: Jesus/Vedas?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Hinduism is more of a 'naturalist' religion. Taken as mere metaphor, it's an interesting pre-scientific way to understand the world.

It's when you get to monotheism that things really get weird.
[+] 1 user Likes coyote's post
20-01-2016, 02:04 PM
(20-01-2016 01:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm having an online conversation with someone who believes that the Vedas prophesied Jesus. So I looked it up and from what I can see it's a prophecy from the Bhavishya Purana which was altered by the British while occupying India. But this person in the discussion is saying it goes back to the Vedas . Obviously it's hokem and my understanding of the Vedas is pretty slim. Hinduism is such a mish-mash of numerous gods and crap. It's like a huge stew of nonsense.

Anyone knowledgeable about the Hindu religion have any information on this silliness?

Well, it must have been a really shit prophecy if nobody figured it our until 2000+ years after the supposed 'prophesied' event. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Is There Really a Prophecy About Jesus in the Vedas?

TL;DR version:

In conclusion, the Bhavisya Purana may well be a genuine Vedic scripture prophesying future events, but from the above analysis we can say with certainty that the Jesus episode of the Bhavisya Purana is not an authentic Vedic revelation.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
20-01-2016, 02:19 PM
(20-01-2016 01:48 PM)coyote Wrote:  Hinduism is more of a 'naturalist' religion. Taken as mere metaphor, it's an interesting pre-scientific way to understand the world.

No it is not. Yes people like to claim it is "naturalistic" but it is still full of fantastic claims and superstitions and ideas of divine, basic nonsense every other religion has.

I think those in the west simply lack the same historical understanding of the global history of all religions, and merely have a false perception of one group because they are only taking into account one moment in time.

To fully understand ALL religions you have to take evolution into account and the evolutionary reason humans gap fill.

Hinduism is not taken as metaphor by everyone in all cases. Otherwise these Hindus would not have done this.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/india-beef-ban-...ur-1527378

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_...e_in_India

http://sikhsiyasat.net/2010/06/12/histor...ng-punjab/

Now mind you, the "metaphor" excuse is not a patent held by Hindus, every religion does this to avoid scrutiny of their religion.

You ask one Christian if a story is true, one will say it is, and ask another the same question and someone else will call it metaphor.

This is a dodge that is universal in all religions. There is no unifying religion, not even within the same label. Even in the same label you have different sects interpreting the same words and laying stake to the heros and icons, and as a result they cant agree on what the "real" meaning is.

Vishnu is no more unifying to all Hindus than Jesus is Unifying to all Christians anymore than Allah is unifying to all Muslims anymore than the Dali Lama or Buddha is unifying to all Buddhists.

The evolutionary reason humans do this is a comic book excuse to set up social pecking orders. When humans get threatened by a challenge, even if mere questioning, they see that as a threat to their social order. So the loophole around justifying the bad behavior of others is "metaphor" or "they aren't a true" "if they'd just do it my way".

All religious people of all religions like to believe they have the patent on morality and point to all the kind motifs and acts they do. But what they don't understand is that it isn't the writing magically giving them morals, it isn't the club label giving them morals. Our species behaviors, good or bad, have always been in us, not our human invented gap filling answers.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
20-01-2016, 02:56 PM
(20-01-2016 02:18 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Is There Really a Prophecy About Jesus in the Vedas?

TL;DR version:

In conclusion, the Bhavisya Purana may well be a genuine Vedic scripture prophesying future events, but from the above analysis we can say with certainty that the Jesus episode of the Bhavisya Purana is not an authentic Vedic revelation.

Thank you. That's what my quick search found. It seems that Christians are using this to validate Jesus and the Bible, but oddly enough, I don't see them worshiping Hindu gods. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-01-2016, 03:06 PM
(20-01-2016 02:19 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(20-01-2016 01:48 PM)coyote Wrote:  Hinduism is more of a 'naturalist' religion. Taken as mere metaphor, it's an interesting pre-scientific way to understand the world.

No it is not. Yes people like to claim it is "naturalistic" but it is still full of fantastic claims and superstitions and ideas of divine, basic nonsense every other religion has.

I think those in the west simply lack the same historical understanding of the global history of all religions, and merely have a false perception of one group because they are only taking into account one moment in time.

To fully understand ALL religions you have to take evolution into account and the evolutionary reason humans gap fill.

Hinduism is not taken as metaphor by everyone in all cases. Otherwise these Hindus would not have done this.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/india-beef-ban-...ur-1527378

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_...e_in_India

http://sikhsiyasat.net/2010/06/12/histor...ng-punjab/

Now mind you, the "metaphor" excuse is not a patent held by Hindus, every religion does this to avoid scrutiny of their religion.

You ask one Christian if a story is true, one will say it is, and ask another the same question and someone else will call it metaphor.

This is a dodge that is universal in all religions. There is no unifying religion, not even within the same label. Even in the same label you have different sects interpreting the same words and laying stake to the heros and icons, and as a result they cant agree on what the "real" meaning is.

Vishnu is no more unifying to all Hindus than Jesus is Unifying to all Christians anymore than Allah is unifying to all Muslims anymore than the Dali Lama or Buddha is unifying to all Buddhists.

The evolutionary reason humans do this is a comic book excuse to set up social pecking orders. When humans get threatened by a challenge, even if mere questioning, they see that as a threat to their social order. So the loophole around justifying the bad behavior of others is "metaphor" or "they aren't a true" "if they'd just do it my way".

All religious people of all religions like to believe they have the patent on morality and point to all the kind motifs and acts they do. But what they don't understand is that it isn't the writing magically giving them morals, it isn't the club label giving them morals. Our species behaviors, good or bad, have always been in us, not our human invented gap filling answers.

When I attempt to read about the Hindu religion my brain almost explodes. I find it extremely complicated but maybe that's because I'm just not as familiar with it as I am with Christianity. The language and words are difficult to pronounce in my head, the many gods too complicated , the spiritualism is all over the place, and it's just endless silliness. I feel as though I need to study this religion more so I can have a basic understanding of it but it's just so convoluted. 'Course, most religions are but this one seems like it's in some sort of special wacky vortex.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-01-2016, 03:10 PM
For it is written -- Batman foretold of Superman......

Or some shit like that......

It's just as real.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-01-2016, 06:45 PM
(20-01-2016 03:10 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For it is written -- Batman foretold of Superman......

Or some shit like that......

It's just as real.
[Image: 6fd2ac6084ecee89084e0e80895bea76.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like jason_delisle's post