What is this verse saying?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 09:50 PM
RE: What is this verse saying?
(14-04-2012 09:43 PM)Noelani Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 09:26 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  According to Bart Ehrman (I love this guy), Jesus is never seen breaking any of the old testament laws. In the places where the Pharisees accused him of breaking the law, it was because they had a different interpretation than Jesus had, not because Jesus had any intention to change the law... which makes it kind of silly that followers of Jesus don't follow any of the Jewish laws. Jesus did. Why do they think the answer to "what would Jesus do" is always "whatever my fellow Christians are doing"? Why do they think that Jesus' arrival or death had any impact on what the Old Testament commanded? Do they think the rituals only applied to Jews, and yet the moral commandments were universal? What's the basis for such a claim?
My friend said that Jesus also said he was the new covenant. I'm not sure what verse she is referring to. Found this one. I wonder when then people did stop stoning people, etc...

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."—Jeremiah 31:31–34

Zeus is the new covenant. All hail the great and powerful Zeus. Father of Apollo, the giver of life.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
15-04-2012, 08:33 AM
(14-04-2012 09:43 PM)Noelani Wrote:  "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel...
I think the term covenant is being misused by your friend here. It makes sense, in the context of accepting the book of John and Paul's letters, that Jesus changed the rules about how you get to heaven. However, if he wanted to make a new agreement about Old Testament laws, one would suspect that you'd hear him talk about how they've been changed. For instance, if you are no longer forced to avoid seats that have been sat upon by women during their period, you would expect that Jesus would mention that even just casually somewhere in his teachings. Or one would expect that nothing found in the Old Testament would matter anymore because it was all part of the "old" covenant.

The fact that Christians pick and choose what laws from the Old Testament they still choose to keep displays a case of special pleading... because otherwise this argument about a new covenant is consistent even if it doesn't appear to be the most logical interpretation. Christians have to make up their minds on this one --- either dismiss the Old Testament entirely or keep every part of it that hasn't been specifically re-interpreted or changed through Jesus' actions/words.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
15-04-2012, 01:32 PM

In the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ it reads: "For you mandate that a child help his parents if they are poor, but allow them to disown their parents so long as their money is given to the coffers of the Church." (VGJC 25:3)

Hope that helps clarify it.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post