What is veritology?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 08:14 PM
What is veritology?
Does anyone have any experience with Veritology? I had never heard of it until last year, but my former Christian mentor/youth director mentioned it last week in my "coming out" facebook post, and I suspect it will come up during a discussion we will be having to talk about my deconversion (this was actually a big deal for me this past week), and i want to be as armed as possible. Where's a good place to start?

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~Rene Descartes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: What is veritology?
It looks like some sort of 'supe-rcourse' in aplogetics. There seems to be a DVD set.

"Tackett [the presenter] then enlists the help of Ravi Zacharias, Os Guinness and R.C.
Sproul to define truth. He also enlists the help of the 1828 edition of
Webster’s Dictionary, which defines truth as “conformity to fact or
reality.” He alters this slightly to say that truth IS reality."

So, yeah, the same presuppositionalist apologetics.

If there is anything new offered in these DVD's, I'd be shocked.
Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 10:52 PM
(14-01-2013 08:28 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  It looks like some sort of 'supe-rcourse' in aplogetics. There seems to be a DVD set.

"Tackett [the presenter] then enlists the help of Ravi Zacharias, Os Guinness and R.C.
Sproul to define truth. He also enlists the help of the 1828 edition of
Webster’s Dictionary, which defines truth as “conformity to fact or
reality.” He alters this slightly to say that truth IS reality."

So, yeah, the same presuppositionalist apologetics.

If there is anything new offered in these DVD's, I'd be shocked.

Implying perhaps that Veritology = the science of making facts fit a pre-defined 'truth'.

Nothing new there.

Next?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-01-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with your balls... or maybe your taint. I can't remember.
15-01-2013, 02:23 AM
(14-01-2013 08:14 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  Does anyone have any experience with Veritology?

It's the study of me. D'uh! For me it started the day I was born, for others - the day they met me. I weep for those who'll never even hear about it.

Just count your blessings - at least he didn't mention verdicanism.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
15-01-2013, 06:55 AM
(14-01-2013 08:14 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  ...and I suspect it will come up during a discussion we will be having to talk about my deconversion...

Why is this 'discussion' happening? What's in it for you? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-01-2013, 09:54 PM
(15-01-2013 06:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 08:14 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  ...and I suspect it will come up during a discussion we will be having to talk about my deconversion...

Why is this 'discussion' happening? What's in it for you? Consider

Does it matter? The discussion is with a person I consider important to me and he's asked to have a discussion. Frankly I expect it to be painful. Which is why I want to be as armed as possible. I'd never heard of veritology and he just started a class.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~Rene Descartes.
15-01-2013, 09:55 PM
(14-01-2013 10:57 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with your balls... or maybe your taint. I can't remember.

That's super helpful. Thanks.

15-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Not that is surprises me that finding information on this might be difficult. A quick Google search actually shows THIS thread as the last result on the first page, so I guess there just isn't much out there. So far what I have read seems really fishy.

My biggest problem is that they see truth as absolutes that can be known, rather than approximations that can be observed and derived. And since it is all philosophical based, if being used by a theological, I'm sure he'll just try to use it to attempt to support some religious dogma without empirical evidence. The lack of evidence part makes me worried.

http://pialogue.info/definitions/Veritology.php

What Is Veritology?

Veritology is a subject (and word) that I have invented to describe the study of methods for proving the validity of knowledge. It is important to distinguish the need to validate our tentative beliefs and theories, from the process of formulating them. The former is the subject of Veritology, the latter is the subject of the discipline that I call Speculation Science.

Veritology is philosophically much more important than Speculation Science. For example, suppose my crystal ball were to reveal to me a theory of physics that unifies Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. If the theory were proved to be true, it would be no less so because it came from my crystal ball, than if it had come through the usual process of scientific "induction". This act of enlightenment by the crystal ball may simply have been an extremely fortuitous event. Such an extraordinary stroke of luck does not diminish the importance of the fact that we have made a gigantic breakthrough in theoretical physics. In short, aside from issues of efficient use of our time, and the obvious scientific value in investigating the functioning of intelligent systems, what do we care of the source of our knowledge, as long as it is true?

On the other hand, proving or demonstrating that a belief system or theory is true is of immense importance. If a belief does not reflect the truth, of what use is it, other than to be an amusing fantasy, or a psychological prop such as a rationalization? False beliefs, such as "this herb is not poisonous", can be outright dangerous.

Since the time of Socrates and Plato, one of the primary goals of philosophy has been the search for truth. Yet philosophers have traditionally merged and confused the quest for truth with the act of speculation. They have asked simply how we "know" truths, lumping belief formulation and validation together under one subject. It is time to focus philosophical inquiry on the subject of Veritology, and leave Speculation Science to science.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-01-2013, 11:06 PM
(15-01-2013 02:23 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 08:14 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  Does anyone have any experience with Veritology?

It's the study of me. D'uh! For me it started the day I was born, for others - the day they met me. I weep for those who'll never even hear about it.

Just count your blessings - at least he didn't mention verdicanism.
Oh. I thought that's what Egsy was talking about when he says he's a Veridician. Maybe this is a "diffrn't" Vera ?? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.