What is/was your degree(s) in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 07:07 AM
RE: What is/was your degree(s) in?
(25-11-2015 04:59 AM)cactus Wrote:  industrial engineering, and a minor in math
post-grad? Haha, no. I'm done with that shit forever Smartass

I am too. 2 advanced degrees is enough. My wife, however, had different ideas. She finished her Masters ~5 years ago. Took 6 long fucking years. Finally got her back into the work force. A year ago, we had the following conversation:

her: what would you say if I decided to go back for my PhD?
me: I wouldn't say anything, but I guarantee no one would ever find your body.
her: So, that's a "no vote" then?
me: Sorry, can't talk now. I need to go out and buy a bag of lyme to help dissolve your corpse, just in case.

I'm not only done with school, I'm done paying for school (for at least my wife and I - I have college coming up for the boys in a few years. )

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
25-11-2015, 07:23 AM
I haz associates degree!?
It took me 7 years to get it one quarter at a time when I was laid off in winter. Sciency stuff, engineering, ugly maths, chem, physics. Good pre-bible studies Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
25-11-2015, 07:26 AM
It was in commercial law.

Well, that and a Phd is being fucking awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Bachelor's in Aeronautical Science
Minor in management
Working towards a M.Divinity
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
25-11-2015, 07:28 AM
I have a BA. Some would condemn me for not moving up the ladder. I think that attitude is a load of crap. There are always plenty of people who will move up, but if you want a better society, the more educated, even those who don't move up are, the more stable that society and the less those lower classes can be bullied by big money.

The exposure to the world and to education, makes you more aware of things outside your street, neighborhood, town, city, nation.

If someone offered me Trump's money but at the loss of what I have inside my head because of my exposure to a higher degree, my answer would be "NO, AND FUCK YOU". But even if I could keep both and get rich, I have no desire to get that rich. Some people simply are really happy with what they have and don't need things to impress others.

There is plenty of diversity in economic desires and that is under no threat, except for a exploding pay gap.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
25-11-2015, 07:31 AM
B.S. in Computer Science, with a minor in German.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
25-11-2015, 07:32 AM
I've got a BS in Management of Technology with a Minor in Information Systems Management and a MBA. I was 29 before I even started college and worked full time (12 hour shifts 7 days a week if the shuttle was up) the entire time, but still managed to get my undergraduate and graduate degree in 6 years completing the MBA in 97. As a result I have very little sympathy for younger people who go to school without working complaining about how much work it is.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
25-11-2015, 07:40 AM
In Australia we do not offer BS degrees.
I hold a BSc in maths and computer science. I stuck around an extra year for honors because I couldn't see myself in the workforce. I left without going into the PhD program because I couldn't see myself in academia.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
25-11-2015, 07:44 AM
(25-11-2015 07:32 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've got a BS in Management of Technology with a Minor in Information Systems Management and a MBA. I was 29 before I even started college and worked full time (12 hour shifts 7 days a week if the shuttle was up) the entire time, but still managed to get my undergraduate and graduate degree in 6 years completing the MBA in 97. As a result I have very little sympathy for younger people who go to school without working complaining about how much work it is.

"Hard work" is a bullshit term. If everything was supposed to be "hard" we'd stick to walking, not move up to horses and buggies, then cars. If work was supposed to be "hard" we'd stick to the pony express and not move to e-mail and text messages.

"Hard" in what context? Business owners don't work hard like those who work under them. Even the ones who are in the trenches, not the office dwellers. First off, the workers constitute the majority of the literal energy that ends up making them money. Secondly, even if they sweat along side the worker, they are not burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.

Humans are not machines. Humans are not born to be objects like tools or numbers on a page for others to exploit. I don't like the term "hard work", I like the word "productivity". I think you get more out of workers when you don't hire and fire them like baseball trading cards. I think you can get more productivity out of them when they have livable wages, and you give them the material they need, and have enough people on staff, and give them stable work so they can have a life outside the job.

I think right now in this point in history, workers WORLDWIDE have every right to bitch because the world's rich don't give a fuck. If they would make it easier on workers they would find there would be more global stability.

It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2015, 08:13 AM
What is/was your degree(s) in?
(25-11-2015 07:28 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I have a BA. Some would condemn me for not moving up the ladder. I think that attitude is a load of crap. There are always plenty of people who will move up, but if you want a better society, the more educated, even those who don't move up are, the more stable that society and the less those lower classes can be bullied by big money.

The exposure to the world and to education, makes you more aware of things outside your street, neighborhood, town, city, nation.

If someone offered me Trump's money but at the loss of what I have inside my head because of my exposure to a higher degree, my answer would be "NO, AND FUCK YOU". But even if I could keep both and get rich, I have no desire to get that rich. Some people simply are really happy with what they have and don't need things to impress others.

There is plenty of diversity in economic desires and that is under no threat, except for a exploding pay gap.

That's a lot of talk just to say you are a loser.