What is/was your degree(s) in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: What is/was your degree(s) in?
(25-11-2015 08:25 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I have a BS in Electrical & Computer Engineering. Considering going back for an MBA but I am waiting on my wife to finish her PhD first. If I had unlimited time and money, I'd go get a degree in physics. I doubt I'd use it, but it would be fun!

I'd really like to get a degree in biology, but that time thing keeps rearing it's ugly head. At this point in my life I'd rather spend it with family and friends.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2015, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2015 07:46 AM by Chas.)
I'm pretty sure we already did this. Consider But, there are a lot of new people here. Smartass

B.Sc. (McGill University) in mathematics¹ with minors/continuations² in computer science and philosophy.
MAS (Boston University) in computer science.³

¹ Concentration was number theory, set theory, and logic. Had to do a minimum of differential/integral calculus, so I did a minimum. Also took Numerical Analysis which turned out to be incredibly valuable in the real world.

² In the B.Sc. program, one needed a science sequence other than the major, and an Arts course each semester - hence comp. sci. and philosophy.

³ Master of Applied Science

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-11-2015, 10:06 AM
I have plenty of schooling, but the only degree I actually finished was a 2-year Associate degree in Electronic Technology. I started out as an English major in college (1 full year), then dropped out for a few years, then got the Associate degree, then went back to a regular college (University of Wisconsin) in pursuit of a math degree. I have a total of 74 credits toward that degree (counting 32 from the initial year where I was an English major), but eventually got tired of the grind of working a full-time job and going to school at night (plus none of the advanced math courses were ever offered at night). I do have a perfect 4.0 GPA for all the courses I took, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
25-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Majors: Macro Economics and English Lit Minors: Spanish and Physics

Graduate: J.D.

I disagree with GwG. The university is the one place where you can study a subject and analyze it thoroughly with an expert standing over you to make sure you stay on track. Life experience is nice but it is slow and you can't learn differential equations through life experience.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
25-11-2015, 10:20 AM
(25-11-2015 10:10 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Majors: Macro Economics and English Lit Minors: Spanish and Physics

Graduate: J.D.

I disagree with GwG. The university is the one place where you can study a subject and analyze it thoroughly with an expert standing over you to make sure you stay on track. Life experience is nice but it is slow and you can't learn differential equations through life experience.

Some of us can't learn differential equations even with an expert standing over us… Undecided
(although in my case it was probability and statistics; differential equations was one of my favorite college math classes)

I agree with you about the value of university.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
25-11-2015, 10:20 AM
B Sc, φυσική. Well, a lot of people seem to thinks Physics is all Greek, anyway.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
25-11-2015, 10:26 AM
(25-11-2015 09:35 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  What I have learned....college is a joke and is no indication of intelligence or capability. It is an indication of time and money spent. The certificates look pretty on the wall of our office and bring credibility to the job market, but you really learn very little. Life experience is the true university of knowledge.

That is a fairly broad brush you are painting with there. Some of us have a greater appreciation for structured learning than others. Not to mention that not all collegiate experiences are equivalent. Furthermore, there is much more to be learned in a campus environment than simply knowledge gained from the classes.

For me, college was not a joke. I took my classes seriously and I learned fundamentals that I still fall back on 20 years later to interpret and understand new technology as well as the world around me. To your point, I had classmates that also passed the same courses and have the same degree, but who learned and understood very little. The value of their degree, in my opinion, is very low compared to what I feel my degree is worth. I also had one classmate who took nearly 10 years to finally complete the program because he kept dropping or failing classes. Why? Because he was busy starting and selling businesses. He is a pretty wealthy guy now.

No doubt there is significant wisdom to be gained in the course of one's life that far exceeds what can be learned in a classroom. Indeed, there are many paths to knowledge and wisdom. However, dismissing the value of a college degree based on your personal experience is a bit myopic.

And now, I will go and hide. For I have chastised GoodWithoutGod, whom I fear and respect, and there will likely be an intellectual whipping in my future should he find me.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 4 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
25-11-2015, 10:27 AM
I have bachelor's degree in fine arts, which involved going to lot's of partiies, drinking and having fun.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
25-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Some people benefit from college, some people don't. I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and a laser like focus for things that interest me, but way too much ADHD to sit through classes that don't. I don't just get bored. I get frustrated and restless that they're standing up there wasting my time.

You may not be able to learn everything through random life experience, but you can always pick up a textbook as a supplement and seek out your own mentors as needed without having to sit through (and pay for) four or more years of lectures, knowing full well that only some of them will be of value. Especially now, with the increasing sophistication of online tools like Khan Academy and Coursera, I can't think of any reason to even bother stepping foot in a classroom until you've already got at least the basics down like calculus and a few introductory classes, programming languages, etc. That stuff is all just as easy to learn out of class as in. But again, I suppose we've all got our own ways of learning.

'Murican Canadian
25-11-2015, 10:41 AM
(25-11-2015 02:24 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  What was your major for undergrad? How about graduate or post graduate studies?

I'm a double major, working on my Bachelor of Social Work and my BA in Spanish. Hoping to do my Master of Social Work in New Mexico, possibly Texas. I want to stay where I can be close to my family, and use my Spanish.

Welcome Thumbsup

B.S. Geology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
M.S. Earth Sciences, Syracuse University (research on Permian climates as recorded in the stable isotopic signature of bivalve shells)
Ph.D. (ABD) Geosciences, University of Connecticut (research on the Late Devonian mass extinctions and their causes using multiple variables. Including sedimentology and stratigraphy, paleontology, and geochemistry)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post