What is/was your degree(s) in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: What is/was your degree(s) in?
(25-11-2015 12:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 12:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It's conceptual high fashion.

That stuff is never actually wearable.

What're you talking about? This was going to be my New Year's Eve dress Laugh out load If it's on a Paris runway, it's fashion Hobo

[Image: 9998f39ee669edc07c04bee9312d95a4.jpg]

That reminds me, I was going to make artichoke dip for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-11-2015, 01:27 PM
(25-11-2015 07:44 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 07:32 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've got a BS in Management of Technology with a Minor in Information Systems Management and a MBA. I was 29 before I even started college and worked full time (12 hour shifts 7 days a week if the shuttle was up) the entire time, but still managed to get my undergraduate and graduate degree in 6 years completing the MBA in 97. As a result I have very little sympathy for younger people who go to school without working complaining about how much work it is.

"Hard work" is a bullshit term. If everything was supposed to be "hard" we'd stick to walking, not move up to horses and buggies, then cars. If work was supposed to be "hard" we'd stick to the pony express and not move to e-mail and text messages.

"Hard" in what context? Business owners don't work hard like those who work under them. Even the ones who are in the trenches, not the office dwellers. First off, the workers constitute the majority of the literal energy that ends up making them money. Secondly, even if they sweat along side the worker, they are not burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.

Humans are not machines. Humans are not born to be objects like tools or numbers on a page for others to exploit. I don't like the term "hard work", I like the word "productivity". I think you get more out of workers when you don't hire and fire them like baseball trading cards. I think you can get more productivity out of them when they have livable wages, and you give them the material they need, and have enough people on staff, and give them stable work so they can have a life outside the job.

I think right now in this point in history, workers WORLDWIDE have every right to bitch because the world's rich don't give a fuck. If they would make it easier on workers they would find there would be more global stability.

It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work.

You got some of it right Brian but some of it wrong too. I am going to guess you’ve never been a small business owner.

What you got right:
“Hard work” is a bullshit term.”
“the workers constitute the majority of the literal energy that ends up making them money.”
“Humans are not machines.”
“you get more out of workers when you don’t hire and fire them like baseball trading cards."
“you can get more productivity out of them when they have livable wages”
“and you give them the material they need”
“and have enough people on staff”
“and give them stable work so they can have a life outside the job.”
“It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work."

What you got wrong:
“Business owners don’t work hard like those who work under them.”
“they (business owners) are not burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.”
“It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work.”

I was an employee until I was about thirty years old, mostly in the construction industry (BS in Construction Management, Certified General Contractor State of Florida, Licensed Real Estate Agent). I’ve done the grunt work, been laid off more times than I can count (nature of the construction industry) and now as the “boss”, according to you, I’m no longer “burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.”

Try this on for size:
Every penny I ever made as a grunt I sunk onto my business, if it fails I’m back to square 1 and at fifty-five I’m pretty much fucked.
If I don’t land the next job I might have to lay off some of my crew, people I genuinely care about. If I fail to get the work no income, no income I can’t pay the bank loan, then the bank calls the loan puts me in defult and I lose all the equity I sunk into the projects plus I also lose my house (collateral).
So while I may not be technically “fired” I would still be living under a bridge.

When I sit down late at night to crunch numbers, prepare P&L spreadsheets, make forecasts, prepare bids and try to keep all the balls up in the air my crew is home kicking back and having a beer and possibly bitching about how fucking easy I must have it since I’m the boss.

Pro-tip: Don’t assume you know how the “rich” live until you’ve been there.

And finally you were half wrong and half right when you said “It’s not how hard you work, it’s how smart you work.”
IT’S BOTH. YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD AND SMART.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
25-11-2015, 01:33 PM
(25-11-2015 08:58 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Bachelor's in Liberal Arts with an emphasis on Literature and Sociology. Master's in Gerontology.

I read "Sociology" as "Scientology" at first, and thought "Jenny! What the hell!?"
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
25-11-2015, 01:35 PM
(25-11-2015 08:58 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Bachelor's in Liberal Arts with an emphasis on Literature and Sociology. Master's in Gerontology.

Hm...maybe she's into gerontophilia. Heart

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-11-2015, 01:48 PM
(25-11-2015 01:33 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

I read "Sociology" as "Scientology" at first, and thought "Jenny! What the hell!?"

I wanted to be an expert at jumping on couches like Tom Cruise Hobo
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
25-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Physics. Master's degree.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
25-11-2015, 01:56 PM
(25-11-2015 01:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Hm...maybe she's into gerontophilia. Heart

Not even a little.
25-11-2015, 02:00 PM
(25-11-2015 01:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 01:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hm...maybe she's into gerontophilia. Heart

Not even a little.

Good thing I'm not old then. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-11-2015, 02:20 PM
(25-11-2015 01:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 07:44 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  "Hard work" is a bullshit term. If everything was supposed to be "hard" we'd stick to walking, not move up to horses and buggies, then cars. If work was supposed to be "hard" we'd stick to the pony express and not move to e-mail and text messages.

"Hard" in what context? Business owners don't work hard like those who work under them. Even the ones who are in the trenches, not the office dwellers. First off, the workers constitute the majority of the literal energy that ends up making them money. Secondly, even if they sweat along side the worker, they are not burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.

Humans are not machines. Humans are not born to be objects like tools or numbers on a page for others to exploit. I don't like the term "hard work", I like the word "productivity". I think you get more out of workers when you don't hire and fire them like baseball trading cards. I think you can get more productivity out of them when they have livable wages, and you give them the material they need, and have enough people on staff, and give them stable work so they can have a life outside the job.

I think right now in this point in history, workers WORLDWIDE have every right to bitch because the world's rich don't give a fuck. If they would make it easier on workers they would find there would be more global stability.

It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work.

You got some of it right Brian but some of it wrong too. I am going to guess you’ve never been a small business owner.

What you got right:
“Hard work” is a bullshit term.”
“the workers constitute the majority of the literal energy that ends up making them money.”
“Humans are not machines.”
“you get more out of workers when you don’t hire and fire them like baseball trading cards."
“you can get more productivity out of them when they have livable wages”
“and you give them the material they need”
“and have enough people on staff”
“and give them stable work so they can have a life outside the job.”
“It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work."

What you got wrong:
“Business owners don’t work hard like those who work under them.”
“they (business owners) are not burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.”
“It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work.”

I was an employee until I was about thirty years old, mostly in the construction industry (BS in Construction Management, Certified General Contractor State of Florida, Licensed Real Estate Agent). I’ve done the grunt work, been laid off more times than I can count (nature of the construction industry) and now as the “boss”, according to you, I’m no longer “burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.”

Try this on for size:
Every penny I ever made as a grunt I sunk onto my business, if it fails I’m back to square 1 and at fifty-five I’m pretty much fucked.
If I don’t land the next job I might have to lay off some of my crew, people I genuinely care about. If I fail to get the work no income, no income I can’t pay the bank loan, then the bank calls the loan puts me in defult and I lose all the equity I sunk into the projects plus I also lose my house (collateral).
So while I may not be technically “fired” I would still be living under a bridge.

When I sit down late at night to crunch numbers, prepare P&L spreadsheets, make forecasts, prepare bids and try to keep all the balls up in the air my crew is home kicking back and having a beer and possibly bitching about how fucking easy I must have it since I’m the boss.

Pro-tip: Don’t assume you know how the “rich” live until you’ve been there.

And finally you were half wrong and half right when you said “It’s not how hard you work, it’s how smart you work.”
IT’S BOTH. YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD AND SMART.

Quote:Business owners don’t work hard like those who work under them.

NO they do not. You took that out of context. I have worked for owners who sit at desks, and owner who sweat in the trenches. Even with the ones who sweat right next to me even they don't constitute the majority of energy produced to do the work, and they also don't have the worry of being fired and the margin of pay they don't have to worry about personal bills like a worker. So they can afford to expend more hours as an individual but that does not mean they are doing the bulk of the labor. Even with the trench bosses it is long hours and sweat is easier to do when you set the rules and set your own hours.

No you do not have to work hard, again, no fucking point in inventing things to make life easier if we always want to do things the hard way. Again, it isn't about work being hard, it really is about work being easy, that allows workers to be more PRODUCTIVE.

I have had jobs my entire life. I can tell you I get more done when I am not stressed out working short staffed and have the materials I need and am able to expand energy over longer periods of time. I have also worked for assholes who put their profits first, cut staff, cut material and fuck you over. That causes you to burn energy more quickly which causes you to burn out more quickly. Less productive.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Major: Computer Science (BS)
Minor: Math

The first thing I really enjoyed in school was math. My Jr. Year of High School I discovered computer science and realized I enjoyed that more than I enjoy math. So I got a degree in it Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.