What is/was your degree(s) in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 02:39 PM
RE: What is/was your degree(s) in?
I got a bs in psych.

I find it ironic. Since my degree is pretty bullshit anyway.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-11-2015, 02:49 PM
(25-11-2015 02:20 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 01:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You got some of it right Brian but some of it wrong too. I am going to guess you’ve never been a small business owner.

What you got right:
“Hard work” is a bullshit term.”
“the workers constitute the majority of the literal energy that ends up making them money.”
“Humans are not machines.”
“you get more out of workers when you don’t hire and fire them like baseball trading cards."
“you can get more productivity out of them when they have livable wages”
“and you give them the material they need”
“and have enough people on staff”
“and give them stable work so they can have a life outside the job.”
“It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work."

What you got wrong:
“Business owners don’t work hard like those who work under them.”
“they (business owners) are not burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.”
“It is not how hard you work, it is how smart you work.”

I was an employee until I was about thirty years old, mostly in the construction industry (BS in Construction Management, Certified General Contractor State of Florida, Licensed Real Estate Agent). I’ve done the grunt work, been laid off more times than I can count (nature of the construction industry) and now as the “boss”, according to you, I’m no longer “burdened with the stress of fear of being fired or fear of paying their bills.”

Try this on for size:
Every penny I ever made as a grunt I sunk onto my business, if it fails I’m back to square 1 and at fifty-five I’m pretty much fucked.
If I don’t land the next job I might have to lay off some of my crew, people I genuinely care about. If I fail to get the work no income, no income I can’t pay the bank loan, then the bank calls the loan puts me in defult and I lose all the equity I sunk into the projects plus I also lose my house (collateral).
So while I may not be technically “fired” I would still be living under a bridge.

When I sit down late at night to crunch numbers, prepare P&L spreadsheets, make forecasts, prepare bids and try to keep all the balls up in the air my crew is home kicking back and having a beer and possibly bitching about how fucking easy I must have it since I’m the boss.

Pro-tip: Don’t assume you know how the “rich” live until you’ve been there.

And finally you were half wrong and half right when you said “It’s not how hard you work, it’s how smart you work.”
IT’S BOTH. YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD AND SMART.

Quote:Business owners don’t work hard like those who work under them.

NO they do not. You took that out of context. I have worked for owners who sit at desks, and owner who sweat in the trenches. Even with the ones who sweat right next to me even they don't constitute the majority of energy produced to do the work, and they also don't have the worry of being fired and the margin of pay they don't have to worry about personal bills like a worker. So they can afford to expend more hours as an individual but that does not mean they are doing the bulk of the labor. Even with the trench bosses it is long hours and sweat is easier to do when you set the rules and set your own hours.

No you do not have to work hard, again, no fucking point in inventing things to make life easier if we always want to do things the hard way. Again, it isn't about work being hard, it really is about work being easy, that allows workers to be more PRODUCTIVE.

I have had jobs my entire life. I can tell you I get more done when I am not stressed out working short staffed and have the materials I need and am able to expand energy over longer periods of time. I have also worked for assholes who put their profits first, cut staff, cut material and fuck you over. That causes you to burn energy more quickly which causes you to burn out more quickly. Less productive.

Apparently you missed my entire point.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
25-11-2015, 05:27 PM
(25-11-2015 10:26 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 09:35 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  What I have learned....college is a joke and is no indication of intelligence or capability. It is an indication of time and money spent. The certificates look pretty on the wall of our office and bring credibility to the job market, but you really learn very little. Life experience is the true university of knowledge.

That is a fairly broad brush you are painting with there. Some of us have a greater appreciation for structured learning than others. Not to mention that not all collegiate experiences are equivalent. Furthermore, there is much more to be learned in a campus environment than simply knowledge gained from the classes.

For me, college was not a joke. I took my classes seriously and I learned fundamentals that I still fall back on 20 years later to interpret and understand new technology as well as the world around me. To your point, I had classmates that also passed the same courses and have the same degree, but who learned and understood very little. The value of their degree, in my opinion, is very low compared to what I feel my degree is worth. I also had one classmate who took nearly 10 years to finally complete the program because he kept dropping or failing classes. Why? Because he was busy starting and selling businesses. He is a pretty wealthy guy now.

No doubt there is significant wisdom to be gained in the course of one's life that far exceeds what can be learned in a classroom. Indeed, there are many paths to knowledge and wisdom. However, dismissing the value of a college degree based on your personal experience is a bit myopic.

And now, I will go and hide. For I have chastised GoodWithoutGod, whom I fear and respect, and there will likely be an intellectual whipping in my future should he find me.

Well of course i said that in broad sweeping terms. I have fluff degrees, as Crim Just isn't heavy on the science and math classes which require a higher level of focus and work to pass. Now I think my degrees are harder than say an BA in ....pyschology, or general arts, of sociology type degrees, but no, I don't equate the work in my field to rocket science, biology, etc etc.

My experience has been I have had to use about 5% effort to maintain straight A's in college. Now, I am smarter than the average bear, but it shouldnt be that easy in my opinion. I never had to apply myself. Over 231 college credits, and it was a walk in the park, and to me was just an indication of time and money spent, but, a degree is required to access certain jobs. What they look for is a good balance of education and experience usually. There are people here for example, that probably have no higher education, yet can engage at the highest level on a plethora of different subjects. Yes, of course i learned and retained stuff through my college experience, but I do think it is a huge hole you throw money into for what ends up being just a piece of paper that doesnt guarantee you a job, or even high level of knowledge necessarily. Again, it depends on what the field of study is, CJ is easy.

I was trying to not come across like some high fa-looting uber college guy flaunting my degrees like they make me special, because they don't. They do not equate an indication of intelligence, smarts, or ability. They do equate an expenditure of money and time. I am glad I have gone to college, and grateful I had the opportunity to do so. But I do not look down on someone who hasn't, especially if they can engage on differing subjects with solid assertions. That was what I was trying to convey. I usually am fairly articulate, but I don't always come across the way I intended.

No offense taken on any level Turkey, I admire you and count you among my friends here at TTA. Friends have the integrity to tell another, hey dipshit, that came out shitty. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
25-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally, I was working hard towards an undecided, but have since switched tracks and am now merely an undeclared.

[Image: giphy.gif]
25-11-2015, 05:54 PM
I.. don't have a degree... Blush

Finished Year 12 schooling. Went and got a Trade's man certificate/qualification. Did seven years of that...

And every thing else after has been working at different, physical type jobs.

Blush
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
25-11-2015, 06:31 PM
(25-11-2015 02:20 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  NO they do not. You took that out of context. I have worked for owners who sit at desks, and owner who sweat in the trenches. Even with the ones who sweat right next to me even they don't constitute the majority of energy produced to do the work, and they also don't have the worry of being fired and the margin of pay they don't have to worry about personal bills like a worker. So they can afford to expend more hours as an individual but that does not mean they are doing the bulk of the labor. Even with the trench bosses it is long hours and sweat is easier to do when you set the rules and set your own hours.

da fuq?

The owners don't have to worry about personal bills or worried about being fired? How about being bankrupt. The owners take the risks. When things go badly, it's on them.

The idea that people who take the risks of opening a business are somehow not entitled to the fruits of that effort is ridiculous. You want to be treated like a boss, go put your money where your mouth is and open up your own thing. Be a boss. Hire people. Treat them the way you think workers are supposed to be treated.

Best of luck to you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
25-11-2015, 06:32 PM
(25-11-2015 05:54 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I.. don't have a degree... Blush

Finished Year 12 schooling. Went and got a Trade's man certificate/qualification. Did seven years of that...

And every thing else after has been working at different, physical type jobs.

Blush

Nothing to be ashamed of. When I graduated college (33 YA), I went to work for a company that if I had seen what was available for a mechanic type person (what I did for a living before and during school), I would not have bothered to get a degree at all. One guy made it to a job that paid $200k+ a year there, without a degree. Admittedly, he was in the right place at the right time. We got bought by another company that is real stuffy about the degree requirement, and a bunch of really capable people got shunted off into non-engineering jobs after that. What a complete waste of ability.
26-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I have an Arts diploma, with studies in TV and radio production, music and film.

Went back to school 20 years later and got a certificate in Business Administration, and a couple of years after that I went into IT and got some serious alphabet soup (MCSE, CNE and A+).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
26-11-2015, 11:05 PM
(25-11-2015 05:06 AM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  B.A. in Psychology.

Never a requirement for any job I held.

Best skill I used in my working career? Typing! Go figure.

Beat me to it. Same here. My degree got me a slightly less crappy government job than I would have gotten without it, but the major made no difference at all.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
27-11-2015, 01:18 AM
B.S. in Physics; currently working on masters.
[+] 1 user Likes ZoraPrime's post