What is wrong with say I don't know?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 05:09 PM by JackDaniels.)
What is wrong with say I don't know?
Faith is belief without evidence and defended against all evidence, it is claiming to know that which you don't know and that which you can't know.
Religion is all about claiming to know things that it doesn't know and also things that it can't know! Religion is the biggest example of not knowing anything while thinking they know everything. Religion claims to know how the universe came into being, what happens after we die, if there is a god, what god it is, what that god wants, and so much more. Religion believes they know all of this and know all of this without evidence, but thinks it has evidence.

Let me ask you something... what is wrong with saying I don't know? It's not hard and it's honest. I don't know how the universe came into being, I don't know what came before or even if there was anything before, I don't know how the very first piece of life formed. I don't know any of those things and I'm okay with that. I know science doesn't know everything but guess what, it's working on it. Like a comedian said " of course science doesn't know everything, if it did, it would stop ". Humans have a problem with not knowing things like Christopher Hitchens talked about, people would rather have a conspiracy theory than no theory. It was astrology before astronomy, alchemy before chemistry, people made up answers instead of just saying I don't know.

For religious belief it all comes down to faith. Faith is unreliable, dishonest, and the worst way of finding out what is true and what is not true. If you use faith there is no way of discerning what is true and what is not true. Suicide bombers, Christians, Jews, etc.. all believe and follow their religion for the same reason... Faith! Not truth, not evidence, not reason, not skepticism or science. People who believe in god don't do it because of Pascal's wager, the first cause argument, or any other mindless theistic argument, these are reasons religious people give to justify why they believe after they already believe. 9 times out of 10 people who believe in a god or a religion because they were born into a family and an area that reinforced these beliefs. Not because they're true, because they're not.

Thanks for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like JackDaniels's post
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
RE: What is wrong with say I don't know?
More or less my policy Jack. I am happy to know there are heaps of things I haven't the foggiest about.
Essentially all we can do is act as decently as seems "right" for us.******** Unsure

Sticks and stones may break my bones
but names will never hurt me~~~~~
Cooyon WillieLaughat
06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
What you also have to remember is the history behind religion or at least the catholic church. The priest in a community was often the only educated person in a community and also often the only one who could read. Part of the problem was that they were expected to know the answers and they often had no help from anyone else. Its very rare to hear a judge go "i dunno" or ask a general what to do when the the enemy is attacking and hear him say "damned if I know". Most people in power need to make a decision and pretend to know what they are talking about.

One thing they teach us as a baseball umpire is that if you don't know what the call is just pick one and say it confidently and if you call a good rest of the game they won't really notice.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

Up to the heretic, smack, smack, smack!
Down to the jail went Good St. Nick!

When people say WWJD just remember that flipping tables and whipping people is still a valid option.
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
07-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Hey, Jack.

I can't say I agree with some of your blanket statements, but to answer your question, accepting that one does not know is the cornerstone of Agnosticism. Unfortunately, in my time here, not only have I been told many times that it is impossible to not know for some magical reason, but the term "fence sitter", as many people call it, is used pejoratively.

Personally, I find it frustrating when people speak about something as if they know, but then cover their bases by saying, "but, y'know, I'm also Agnostic about it, I mean, I don't really know, I just know." To me, that's silly if not disingenuous.

Hey, Tarzan.

That's an interesting point about the necessity of those in power to make concrete decisions.

I've always said that this is part of the difference between the moderate and the extremist. The moderate lives in grey complexity and is comfortable there without any answers. The extremist lives in hard black and white and uses their simplistic answer to a complex question as a rally cry. Whether or not it is demonstrable, moral or even logical is irrelevant. Its power comes from it's demagogic certainty. The moderate has no defence against this because they cannot counter it with a so called fact, just rational uncertainty. When people are most afraid and looking for certainly, the moderate voice is lost in the horn blast of the extremist.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
07-07-2012, 06:26 AM
What's wrong with saying "I don't know"?
I don't know.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
07-07-2012, 06:31 AM
I don't know and I don't care about many of the unanswered Big Questions.

But I'm very glad there are those who do care and who continue to pursue that depth of knowledge. Those people will be the ones who will eventually bunk or debunk the current assumptions/beliefs/theories. Kudos to them!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-07-2012, 06:32 AM
(06-07-2012 10:01 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  What you also have to remember is the history behind religion or at least the catholic church. The priest in a community was often the only educated person in a community and also often the only one who could read. Part of the problem was that they were expected to know the answers and they often had no help from anyone else. Its very rare to hear a judge go "i dunno" or ask a general what to do when the the enemy is attacking and hear him say "damned if I know". Most people in power need to make a decision and pretend to know what they are talking about.

One thing they teach us as a baseball umpire is that if you don't know what the call is just pick one and say it confidently and if you call a good rest of the game they won't really notice.
Good point, but i'm not talking about people who need to make big decisions or primitives who were scared I just mean most people who believe in god don't know certain things they would like to know so they insert any explanation they want instead of finding the answer or being okay with not knowing until science figures it out and any time people have just made an answer it has been wrong.
07-07-2012, 07:17 AM
We are brought up this way, easy as that. We learn that only the people who know things, or are good at pretending to know things, get power.
And as egoistic humans, a lot of us want power so they need to at least claim that they know things.
The problem is, that in such a society it looks weak to say "I don't know" because the second you say that, you are not a good leader, you are not as honorable, you are not worth listening to on other topics either... "I don't know" is being made something very negative.
I say it a lot, mostly when I am being asked something that I don't know, I am saying that I don't know it and I will look it up. Or offer that we can look it up together. Never lost my face with that.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Not everyone shares this definition of faith. C.S. Lewis says the following in "Mere Christianity":
"Now faith, in the sense in which I am here using the word, is the art of holding onto things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods. For moods will change, whatever view your reason takes. I know that by experience. Now that I am a Christian, I do have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable; but when I was an atheist, I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable. This rebellion of your moods against your real self is going to come anyway. That is why faith is such a necessary virtue; unless you teach your moods "where they get off" you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of faith."

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I agree bro

You would really like physicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

[Image: tumblr_m1k3xv8ruP1qjr3nco1_500.png]

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 6 users Like Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post