What is wrong with say I don't know?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2012, 10:36 PM
RE: What is wrong with say I don't know?
(07-07-2012 08:49 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_m1k3xv8ruP1qjr3nco1_500.png]

Thank you AChiefer! Heart My signature never looked better.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-07-2012, 10:46 PM
What is wrong with using correct grammar in a thread title?
Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I feel like I don't really know anything. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you don't know, I think it actually gives you more credibility when you decide to speak up and argue about something.

"'Tis the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." - Aristotle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPqksG9nbA
12-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I lack the knowledge to give a definitive answer to the question.

aka

I don't know either.

On a more serious note, I think theists (to be very general since anyone can do this, including non-believers) hear that answer and automatically assume that "I don't know" must mean "I don't know, therefore whatever your default or original answer was is correct." They hear "I don't know" and think that being able to come up with an answer makes it better than no answer. In some ways that might actually be true, but it still doesn't make it correct. For instance, the Earth was never flat, but that answer may have permitted people to understand the layout of land and water well enough to navigate. Having some answer was better than "I don't know" but it still did not mean it was correct.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-07-2012, 06:50 PM
It is really hard for some people to admit they do not know something. I admit when I do not know what I'm talking about. It drives me nuts when someone goes on about things they clearly know nothing about.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
13-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Just for the sake of casually trolling. Evil_monster

Its not good grammar, it should be "What is wrong with saying I don't know?"

Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2012, 06:33 PM
(06-07-2012 05:04 PM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Let me ask you something... what is wrong with saying I don't know? It's not hard and it's honest. I don't know how the universe came into being, I don't know what came before or even if there was anything before, I don't know how the very first piece of life formed. I don't know any of those things and I'm okay with that. I know science doesn't know everything but guess what, it's working on it.
Nothing is wrong with saying, "I don't know." Even the most knowledgable among us only really know the tiniest fraction of the world's accumulated knowledge in all fields. We die barely less ignorant than we were at birth.

Having said that, on the subject of religious and atheistic claims on origins, there is a false dichotomy that the religious side especially loves to promote, in order to confuse people, which is that atheists are somehow "certain" there's no god. So the people like you say, "Wait a second, I'm not certain there's no god ... so I guess I'm not one of those fanatical atheists."

Atheism is not "certainty" in anything. That is a myth invented by the religious to say, "The atheists are just fundamentalists! They're no different from us! Er -- I mean, the religious fundamentalists, which of course we aren't. We're normal, average, healthy people."

This is bullshit. Atheism is a response to the claim that a god exists AND intervenes in human affairs, 'cause no organized religion today says that the Divine doesn't intervene. Atheism says that such a claim does not meet the burden of proof and therefore can be rejected. So if you say, "I don't know," you are an atheist.
28-12-2012, 07:11 AM
(06-07-2012 05:04 PM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Faith is belief without evidence and defended against all evidence, it is claiming to know that which you don't know and that which you can't know.
Religion is all about claiming to know things that it doesn't know and also things that it can't know! Religion is the biggest example of not knowing anything while thinking they know everything. Religion claims to know how the universe came into being, what happens after we die, if there is a god, what god it is, what that god wants, and so much more. Religion believes they know all of this and know all of this without evidence, but thinks it has evidence.

Let me ask you something... what is wrong with saying I don't know? It's not hard and it's honest. I don't know how the universe came into being, I don't know what came before or even if there was anything before, I don't know how the very first piece of life formed. I don't know any of those things and I'm okay with that. I know science doesn't know everything but guess what, it's working on it. Like a comedian said " of course science doesn't know everything, if it did, it would stop ". Humans have a problem with not knowing things like Christopher Hitchens talked about, people would rather have a conspiracy theory than no theory. It was astrology before astronomy, alchemy before chemistry, people made up answers instead of just saying I don't know.

For religious belief it all comes down to faith. Faith is unreliable, dishonest, and the worst way of finding out what is true and what is not true. If you use faith there is no way of discerning what is true and what is not true. Suicide bombers, Christians, Jews, etc.. all believe and follow their religion for the same reason... Faith! Not truth, not evidence, not reason, not skepticism or science. People who believe in god don't do it because of Pascal's wager, the first cause argument, or any other mindless theistic argument, these are reasons religious people give to justify why they believe after they already believe. 9 times out of 10 people who believe in a god or a religion because they were born into a family and an area that reinforced these beliefs. Not because they're true, because they're not.

Thanks for reading.

Jack, I don't know where you came from but I hope you stay a while. I really like your brain. xD

I don't have much to say in response, but I will give what I can for now:

Saying "I don't know" overall is a good thing to do in so many cases.
That being said, we may eventually be able to stand on one side of the fense or the other given we have appropriate evidence.
Some people do affirm the absolute of "I do know" to the claim that God does not exist. So, in a sense, saying "I don't know" may keep someone in the position of Agnostic or Apatheist.

So maybe you're trying to say that people should not make absolute statements about something they truly do not know for certain.

A big one is the concept of the beginning of the Universe.

From what we do know about the Universe and it's History, it may be possible to be on one side of the fense more so than the other.

I cannot say for certain that I am absolutely sure that God exists, but I can make an inference that is more plausible that He does than that He does not.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
28-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Quoting myself:

We don't know shit.

We may make progress in finding out bits and pieces of this and that, but compared to what will be known a century from now, we don't know shit.

Just as we look a century back and say: "Boy, those people sure didn't know shit", so will other generations look back at us.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-12-2012, 07:45 AM
People fear ignorance.