What is wrong with say I don't know?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: What is wrong with say I don't know?
What's wrong with saying I don't know? Consider

Well, it's a lie! 'Cause I know everything! Big Grin

I even know some everys that are not things. Thumbsup

Now that we got that outta the way, let's look at all the shit that you don't know. Like faith. It is not "belief without evidence." That's atheist propaganda. Faith is moral certainty. Like when you say, I think the answer is 23, you're expressing the native uncertainty of the universe. And when you say, I know the answer is 23, that's an expression of faith. And what happens when you know shit? That's right - you get high. Your brain releases these chemicals that go, yay me! I know stuff! I wanna do it again! So you go looking for more stuff to know.

So there it is. That's what's wrong with saying I don't know. You're not getting high like nature intended. Thumbsup

That'll be $29.95...999599... wait a minute! Your account is in arrears. Make sure you settle up by the end of the day or my goons will be by to repossess this knowledge from your skull. In the most painful manner possible. Have a nice day! Come again! Smile

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Two common misconceptions about belief we should all abandon:
1- faith is believing without evidence - actually it is acting on what you believe - evidence or not
2- atheism is belief there is no god.

These are false accusations made by the opposite sides of the debate.
Find all posts by this user
28-12-2012, 08:51 AM
After 50 years of basing my theistic beliefs on the evidence I can finally see it should never have convinced me.
28-12-2012, 09:05 AM
(28-12-2012 07:11 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  I cannot say for certain that I am absolutely sure that God exists, but I can make an inference that is more plausible that He does than that He does not.
I cannot say for certain that I am absolutely sure that God exists, but I can make an inference that it is more plausible that He does not than that He does.

It's all about the evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-12-2012, 09:09 AM
(28-12-2012 09:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-12-2012 07:11 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  I cannot say for certain that I am absolutely sure that God exists, but I can make an inference that is more plausible that He does than that He does not.
I cannot say for certain that I am absolutely sure that God exists, but I can make an inference that it is more plausible that He does not than that He does.

It's all about the evidence.
You don't exist, six flags. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-12-2012, 09:51 AM
(06-07-2012 05:04 PM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Faith is belief without evidence and defended against all evidence, it is claiming to know that which you don't know and that which you can't know.
Religion is all about claiming to know things that it doesn't know and also things that it can't know! Religion is the biggest example of not knowing anything while thinking they know everything. Religion claims to know how the universe came into being, what happens after we die, if there is a god, what god it is, what that god wants, and so much more. Religion believes they know all of this and know all of this without evidence, but thinks it has evidence.

Let me ask you something... what is wrong with saying I don't know? It's not hard and it's honest. I don't know how the universe came into being, I don't know what came before or even if there was anything before, I don't know how the very first piece of life formed. I don't know any of those things and I'm okay with that. I know science doesn't know everything but guess what, it's working on it. Like a comedian said " of course science doesn't know everything, if it did, it would stop ". Humans have a problem with not knowing things like Christopher Hitchens talked about, people would rather have a conspiracy theory than no theory. It was astrology before astronomy, alchemy before chemistry, people made up answers instead of just saying I don't know.

For religious belief it all comes down to faith. Faith is unreliable, dishonest, and the worst way of finding out what is true and what is not true. If you use faith there is no way of discerning what is true and what is not true. Suicide bombers, Christians, Jews, etc.. all believe and follow their religion for the same reason... Faith! Not truth, not evidence, not reason, not skepticism or science. People who believe in god don't do it because of Pascal's wager, the first cause argument, or any other mindless theistic argument, these are reasons religious people give to justify why they believe after they already believe. 9 times out of 10 people who believe in a god or a religion because they were born into a family and an area that reinforced these beliefs. Not because they're true, because they're not.

Thanks for reading.
I have often wondered the same question in your thread title, but more in general rather than specifically about religion. I find that many people avoid say "I don't know" about a lot of things and fill in some BS in its place. I think those people are insecure with themselves and believe it somehow makes them look bad if they don't have an answer for everything. So they're afraid to say "I don't know". The religious context for not saying "I don't know" is probably a lot different, but the insecurity probably contributes somewhat. Many people are afraid to admit there really might be nothing after death, some evil people may never really get their just desserts, or that we are really just a more or less random occurrence in time and space. For them, it's far more comforting to hang onto a god.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-12-2012, 04:02 PM
(28-12-2012 07:11 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Jack, I don't know where you came from but I hope you stay a while. I really like your brain.
Uh-oh, it seems like ideasonscribe has turned into a zombie that feasts on the brains of non-believers. Confused

[Image: Christian-Zombie-300x190.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post