What is your current attitude towards life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2016, 03:54 PM
RE: What is your current attitude towards life?
(26-12-2016 03:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 09:34 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I can take it or leave it, as Catherine Tate would say, "I ain't bovvered" Big Grin

Bullshit!

(26-12-2016 10:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Be water: “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -Bruce Lee

Water evaporates and Lee was a shit martial artist. Even worse philosopher.

(26-12-2016 12:17 PM)BnW Wrote:  I love life. I love every part of it. Even the shitty stuff. And, I am holding on to it and everyone around me for as long as I can and will fight like hell to keep them here with me.

Life is all we have.

Take it or leave it. WTF???

That's what Erik thought before he left his daughter.

I've been fighting for my life for over 2 years. I am unable to describe the level of illness and how it felt some days. There was the choice.

Live in pain and suffering, to hopefully come through it.

Give up.

The second option is for pussies!!!

I think Lee's point was essentially to "go with the flow"... to adapt, instead of letting situations control you. Anyway, I like the quote. It stays as part of my life's philosophy Wink

I don't think Erik was a pussy. He was struggling with depression/severe anxiety and sadly, it won out. Anyone who has to struggle with those kinds of things on a daily basis is anything but a pussy.

You have definitely been through a lot, Banjo, more than most people I know. And you are a fighter and I am so thankful for that. And I like your saucy-ness Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-12-2016, 04:08 PM
(26-12-2016 03:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 09:34 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I can take it or leave it, as Catherine Tate would say, "I ain't bovvered" Big Grin

Bullshit!

(26-12-2016 10:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Be water: “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -Bruce Lee

(26-12-2016 12:17 PM)BnW Wrote:  I love life. I love every part of it. Even the shitty stuff. And, I am holding on to it and everyone around me for as long as I can and will fight like hell to keep them here with me.

Life is all we have.

I've been fighting for my life for over 2 years. I am unable to describe the level of illness and how it felt some days. There was the choice.

Give up.

Many of us are "pussies" then. You must not measure others against you, they can only be measured against themselves.

Everyone is different. I can also take it or leave it. And it wouldn't take depression for me to choose the exit. I have been acutely aware of that door all my life and don't find it depressing, quite the opposite. It is a fine plan B should plan A go to pots.

The instinct for survival, like all instincts, is present in different strengths in individuals. Evolution, always pushing all the boundaries. One works with what one has got. While I have a pussy (several if you count cats), I don't think I am one for taking that exit, if and when I do.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-12-2016, 04:27 PM
At my age, I just live for the day. I've done all I wanna do, and been everywhere I wanna go, so I'm more than happy to just do... well... very fucking little I guess.

There's a tonne of things I would've cared about in my life fifty years ago, but today? Meh...

Trump's lunacy, Russia's sabre-rattling, global warming/climate change, Pakistan's nuke threat, illegal drugs trade, ethnic gangs and street wars, Syria/Iraq/Libya/Yemen/Sudan/Somalia/Afghanistan/Ukraine/Congo conflicts, Pope fucking Francis, Kim Jong-un, food security, gender parity, any imminent global financial crises/Wall St et al.

I know it sounds narrow-minded, cynical and introspective, but let's face it—seriously—what am I gonna do about fixing any of it? Can anybody suggest any viable reasons why I should be concerned? Considering I live in the so-called "lucky country" with three of the world's most livable cities? [Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) Aug 16 ]

—Why rattle any cages?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
26-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Life is fucking wonderful!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
26-12-2016, 04:59 PM
(26-12-2016 04:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  Everyone is different. I can also take it or leave it. And it wouldn't take depression for me to choose the exit. I have been acutely aware of that door all my life and don't find it depressing, quite the opposite. It is a fine plan B should plan A go to pots.

This. Knowing that escape from whatever woes life throwing in one way is possible is a good thing. Personally I find idea of nothingness to be comforting, even if I don't want to speed up my meeting with oblivion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Very negative. I'm a total pessimist...
[+] 3 users Like AnaBunny's post
26-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Im a nihilist philosophically. Life is neither good, nor bad, it depends on what I choose to focus on in my life that decides between the two (when i consciously remember I have a choice, I sometimes forget)

I do think that life is shitty, hard, meaningless and futile. It does not define me though, it used to. I try to focus more on the little things in life.

The smell of the morning air. The way birds fly through the sky. The sensation of water running over my skin when I shower. How cold the air is currently. The colours of winter. How food tastes, smells and its texture. The sensation of grass on my bare feet. The stars in the sky. Landscapes.

My heart bursts with all of its exquisite and fleeting meaninglessness. Its all pointlessly amazing.

My signature, taken from a spoken word, wraps it all up pretty well currently.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
26-12-2016, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 12:31 PM by Grasshopper.)
(26-12-2016 03:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 03:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Bullshit!

Life is all we have.

Give up.

I think Lee's point was essentially to "go with the flow"... to adapt, instead of letting situations control you. Anyway, I like the quote. It stays as part of my life's philosophy Wink

I don't know enough about Bruce Lee to have an opinion, but I also like the quote. You find much the same philosophy in the Tao Te Ching -- which is basically a bunch of woo, but it's beautiful and I like it.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Don't take it so seriously, it's just a game.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
26-12-2016, 08:40 PM
(26-12-2016 12:17 PM)BnW Wrote:  Checked into this forum for the first time in 6 or 7 weeks and this was the first thread I saw. Kind of interesting because this topic has sort of been on my mind lately. Some quick background: I have this group of friends from a former job. It was a large company but a small group of us and we were very close. Several of us have moved on to different jobs in different places, but we all keep in touch and get together pretty frequently to grab a drink, catch up, etc. Last spring one of the people in this group was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. It's the 2nd time he's had it. He went through surgery and they couldn't get all of it because some of it was sitting on a nerve that leads into his vocal chord. He did chemo after and the doctors were hoping that would be enough to knock it out. It wasn't. In 2 weeks he has to go in for surgery where they are going to remove that nerve and impact his voice for the rest of his life. But, they are optimistic that will get rid of the cancer for good. I guess given the choices, it's obvious what has to happen. He just turned 48 in the fall.

Another guy in the group picked up what he thought was a nasty stomach bug in early November. I'll spare you and give you the end of the story: they first found a massive tumor in his colon and then with further scans concluded that it had spread all over and he's now facing stage 4 liver cancer, and cancer in his lungs and lymph nodes as well. The doctors are not giving any kind of prognosis yet as he has just started chemo, but stage 4 doesn't sound good to me at all. He is about to turn 52. Never smoked, ate pretty well, exercised, etc. All the things you're supposed to do to live a long life. And, he's facing death at 52.

It's really been a hell of a few weeks on this side of the ether connection, let me tell ya. But back to the original question: I love life. I love every part of it. Even the shitty stuff. And, I am holding on to it and everyone around me for as long as I can and will fight like hell to keep them here with me. It's amazing how we take our lives for granted. Me included. I've been learning that lesson the hard way lately. Nothing like a near miss with mortality to fix your perspective.

I've got a friend who recently had a tumor removed from his neck. Watching him wither under the chemo and still continue swinging is inspiring.

And another friend killed himself Christmas Eve with a gunshot to the head.

I'm doing the only thing I know how to do ... keep on keepin' on -- hence my posting upthread.

My best wishes for both your friends, and for you.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post