What is your current attitude towards life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: What is your current attitude towards life?
Life? Any time I think it's just shit, something comes along to open my eyes and sometimes shut my mouth. Often it is the wonders of nature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
26-12-2016, 09:04 PM
(26-12-2016 03:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think Lee's point was essentially to "go with the flow"... to adapt, instead of letting situations control you. Anyway, I like the quote. It stays as part of my life's philosophy Wink

I really like it. One of the keys of my recovery has been serenity, the idea of identifying what I can and can't change, and knowing that when I cannot change something, I can still change my approach to it. This quote of Lee's really hits that nail on the head, for me. Thanks for posting it. Smile
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-12-2016, 09:05 PM
-Life is an ongoing struggle.

-Don't get used to the good times because they won't last.

-Before you know it, you'll be dead.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
26-12-2016, 09:08 PM
(26-12-2016 08:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And another friend killed himself Christmas Eve with a gunshot to the head.

I hate to hear that. How are you taking it? Are you ok?
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
26-12-2016, 09:12 PM
(26-12-2016 08:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And another friend killed himself Christmas Eve with a gunshot to the head.

Ugh. Really sorry to read that. I dealt with that when I was a senior in high school. It's an awful thing to deal with. Really sorry you have to deal with that. The holidays can be tough. People who already have issues with depression can get overwhelmed.

Nothing let's you know how charmed your life is than a glimpse into the lives of people who don't have it so well. I've had a lot of glimpses the past few months. I've come to better appreciate my family, my marriage, my job, really just everything. Life is great. I'm the luckiest guy on the planet. I have been for years. I just didn't know it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
26-12-2016, 09:52 PM
I think my signature says it all.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
26-12-2016, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2016 10:08 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(26-12-2016 09:08 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

I hate to hear that. How are you taking it? Are you ok?

Thanks for asking, K. I'm better than I was yesterday morning when I learnt it -- anger was the predominant feeling, and sadness, sure. I'm sad for his son -- my son's best friend when they were younger -- and angry at Scott for doing that to his son, on Christmas Eve of all days. But there's nothing I can do to change it, so I'm just busy accepting it.

(26-12-2016 09:12 PM)BnW Wrote:  Ugh. Really sorry to read that. I dealt with that when I was a senior in high school. It's an awful thing to deal with. Really sorry you have to deal with that. The holidays can be tough. People who already have issues with depression can get overwhelmed.

Nothing let's you know how charmed your life is than a glimpse into the lives of people who don't have it so well. I've had a lot of glimpses the past few months. I've come to better appreciate my family, my marriage, my job, really just everything. Life is great. I'm the luckiest guy on the planet. I have been for years. I just didn't know it.

I hear you. I've had an up-and-down year, processing the break-up with my then-g/f, entering recovery, and falling in love again. Lots of emotions. I think of the corner Scott must have felt painted into, and I sure wish I could have been more help. We haven't talked in a long time, so there's a bit of guilt thrown in there, too, I suppose -- but onward is the only way to go, for me. I reckon I'm the luckiest man walking, I've got a great son, great family, and a woman better than I have any right to hope for. Scott being where he was emotionally, well, I'm not sure I could have helped anything. I hurt for him, and that's not even my burden, y'know? It's a goddamned shame what he did, but who am I to say anything about it?

As the last line in the song I posted says, "Life, I love you / all is groovy". Even if it ain't, I still love life, because like you, I'm the luckiest SOB around.
26-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Thankfully not every single moment is a struggle to survive. When your life itself is on the line, hopefully most of us will do what it takes to hang on. Otherwise, it definitely makes sense to choose your battles. Serenity ranks high on my priorities too. I've recently taken on a project that is going to make me work my ass off for the next few months. At the same time my new years resolution will be to get down another 25 pounds. Hopefully the two goals will synergize each other. After that I look forward to being one lazy mother fucker.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
26-12-2016, 10:05 PM
(26-12-2016 08:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 12:17 PM)BnW Wrote:  Checked into this forum for the first time in 6 or 7 weeks and this was the first thread I saw. Kind of interesting because this topic has sort of been on my mind lately. Some quick background: I have this group of friends from a former job. It was a large company but a small group of us and we were very close. Several of us have moved on to different jobs in different places, but we all keep in touch and get together pretty frequently to grab a drink, catch up, etc. Last spring one of the people in this group was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. It's the 2nd time he's had it. He went through surgery and they couldn't get all of it because some of it was sitting on a nerve that leads into his vocal chord. He did chemo after and the doctors were hoping that would be enough to knock it out. It wasn't. In 2 weeks he has to go in for surgery where they are going to remove that nerve and impact his voice for the rest of his life. But, they are optimistic that will get rid of the cancer for good. I guess given the choices, it's obvious what has to happen. He just turned 48 in the fall.

Another guy in the group picked up what he thought was a nasty stomach bug in early November. I'll spare you and give you the end of the story: they first found a massive tumor in his colon and then with further scans concluded that it had spread all over and he's now facing stage 4 liver cancer, and cancer in his lungs and lymph nodes as well. The doctors are not giving any kind of prognosis yet as he has just started chemo, but stage 4 doesn't sound good to me at all. He is about to turn 52. Never smoked, ate pretty well, exercised, etc. All the things you're supposed to do to live a long life. And, he's facing death at 52.

It's really been a hell of a few weeks on this side of the ether connection, let me tell ya. But back to the original question: I love life. I love every part of it. Even the shitty stuff. And, I am holding on to it and everyone around me for as long as I can and will fight like hell to keep them here with me. It's amazing how we take our lives for granted. Me included. I've been learning that lesson the hard way lately. Nothing like a near miss with mortality to fix your perspective.

I've got a friend who recently had a tumor removed from his neck. Watching him wither under the chemo and still continue swinging is inspiring.

And another friend killed himself Christmas Eve with a gunshot to the head.

I'm doing the only thing I know how to do ... keep on keepin' on -- hence my posting upthread.

My best wishes for both your friends, and for you.

So sorry. *hugs*
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-12-2016, 10:07 PM
(26-12-2016 10:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Thankfully not every single moment is a struggle to survive. When your life itself is on the line, hopefully most of us will do what it takes to hang on. Otherwise, it definitely makes sense to choose your battles. Serenity ranks high on my priorities too. I've recently taken on a project that is going to make me work my ass off for the next few months. At the same time my new years resolution will be to get down another 25 pounds. Hopefully the two goals will synergize each other. After that I look forward to being one lazy mother fucker.

Project needs pics, brotha. Plenty of --
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post