Other (please specify)
Life-long atheist
[Show Results]

What is your (ex-)religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2012, 07:05 PM
RE: What is your (ex-)religion?
Although brought up in a (loosely) Christian context, I cannot recall a time when I ever believed any of it. Same bin as Santa and the Easter Bunny, and at about the same time, frankly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvangelicalHumanist's post
25-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I grew up in a Christian context, but cannot remember a time when I believed any of it. Thrown out, I feel sure, with Santa and the Easter Bunny.
25-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Roman Catholic Christianity in my case.

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
25-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I was raised by an Orthodox Catholic mom and a Protestant dad. I went to Sunday school every week, and we did attend church occasionally. My dad was religious until he died, and my mother still is. During my confirmation classes (I think in high school?) I decided that this was bullshit and I didn't want anything to do with it. At the time it was only that church, but over time I evolved into being completely atheist. There really wasn't a lot of thought involved there, it just happened.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
26-01-2012, 08:43 AM
(25-01-2012 04:49 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Come on KingChosen, we aren't supposed to evolve backwards.

Joking aside, have you ever said why you returned back to religion?

I just would like to know what a former atheist/agnostic person needed to revert back to their belief system.

Yeah, I did a write-up somewhere in the Ask a Theist thread. Basically, I just had a dramatic conversation.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Roman Catholic, and glad to have an open-minded family.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
26-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I grew up catholic. Started to question the whole thing around 13.

"If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?" - Bill Maher
26-01-2012, 11:16 PM
In the ideals of Richard Dawkins I might say I never was a believer. I was at Sunday School every week for years and a few christian retreats but that was just family induced habit. In 7th grade I had conformation class once a week where we had to read (selected parts) out of the bible and I came to the conclusion that it's clearly all parables and metaphorical stories.

One could just call that liberal Christianity but It's hard for me to recall if I ever really believed... If there ever was a point it was the slightest function but I don't think I ever accepted it could be established as fact that Jesus was the "son of God."
27-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Ok, I voted "life-long Atheist" because it was the most accurate description, but I feel it needs a bit of an explanation. I was raised in a totally secular fashion by a (very) lapsed Protestant and an Agnostic Christian. I grew up living next door to an Orthodox Jewish family, across the street from a Christian family (unsure of their denomination) and down the street from a Catholic family. I played with *all* of their children, was welcome in their homes and it was never an issue. As I had only the most cursory exposure to religion of any kind I was rather curious about where my playmates disappeared to once a week for a few hours on Sunday (Saturday for the Jewish family of course.) As I got older I never joined any religion, but I did do some exploring through reading and the general absorption of Christianity that just sort of happens in the USA. I never considered myself a Christian, even the "feel good" parts struck me as bizarre, but I think it would be fair to say I was some-what deistic for a few years as a teenager. I never really thought about it, I just sort of assumed that since everyone around me seemed to believe in a God of some kind they had to have a good reason even if their particular God wasn't real. It struck me as absurd that everyone seemed to think they knew the mind of God or the Gods, yet none of them (even in the same group!) could agree 100% on what he/she/it/they wanted from us. I eventually realized that believing in a Deity, even on such a distant and abstract level was in no way a defensible position (not that anyone ever challenged me to defend my position) and just let that particular bit of worldview fade away. Smile

"He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot, is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave." ~Sir William Drummond
[+] 1 user Likes azurerosa's post
27-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Ex-Muslim... And it took religion to take away my religion. In my humble opinion, the whole idea of religion falls just shy of being a Thanksgiving turkey with OCD.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 1 user Likes arcticspear's post