What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2013, 03:44 AM
What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.
i will start:

"Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly."

~Albert Einstein

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2013, 04:02 AM
RE: What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.
"good things come to those who wait" - somewhere in the Bible*.

*Of course this one is funny because it's not in the Bible, and goes right up there with 30% of people thinking Noah's wife was Joan of Arc... Laughat

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-09-2013, 04:05 AM
RE: What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.
(21-09-2013 03:44 AM)H2O2 Wrote:  i will start:

"Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly."

~Albert Einstein

Big Grin

That's actually believed to be a complete fabrication. The quote comes from some Evangelist who was quoted in a TIME magazine article without attribution. As far as I know it doesn't appear in any of Einsteins' letters or anthologies of attributed quotes. That one's right up there with Lady Hope's story of Darwin's death bed conversion... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Not sure if this fits, but "God will never give you more than what you can handle". Not only is it completely absent from the bible (in any form), but completely untrue. If a god exists at all, he gives people more than what they can handle every day. That's one of the reasons suicide happens.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
21-09-2013, 04:14 AM
That's actually believed to be a complete fabrication. The quote comes from some Evangelist who was quoted in a TIME magazine article without attribution. As far as I know it doesn't appear in any of Einsteins' letters or anthologies of attributed quotes. That one's right up there with Lady Hope's story of Darwin's death bed conversion... Dodgy
[/quote]

i'm pretty sure that's why that quote was put on this thread.. because it's false.
21-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Countless Einstein quotes are taken outta context. Didn't help that the old boy was fond of religious sounding profundities like "God don't play dice muthafuckas", but reading his letters it's absolutely clear that he was at the very most a deist, not some kinda fundie like a lot of two-bit preachers seem to believe.
21-09-2013, 04:17 AM
(21-09-2013 04:10 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  Not sure if this fits, but "God will never give you more than what you can handle". Not only is it completely absent from the bible (in any form), but completely untrue. If a god exists at all, he gives people more than what they can handle every day. That's one of the reasons suicide happens.

I think it stems from this passage:
1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

But it's taken out of context all the time.
21-09-2013, 04:30 AM
This thread makes the assumption that we waste our time listening to or reading what faithers have to say or write.

Life's too short.

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2013, 05:30 AM
God is love. Somewhere in bible.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
21-09-2013, 05:35 AM
(21-09-2013 05:30 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  God is love. Somewhere in bible.

Is it wrong that I can still quote that entire passage?
Quote:Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God and everyone who loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not, knoweth not God for God is love.
1st John 4:7-8

I was taught a song about it in Sunday school and to this day every time someone says it, the damn thing plays through my head.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy