What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2013, 09:28 AM
RE: What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.
(21-09-2013 05:35 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  I was taught a song about it in Sunday school and to this day every time someone says it, the damn thing plays through my head.

If it makes you feel any better, the only thing I remember from my Latin class is how to sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. Yep, I can sing a children's lullaby in a dead language. Rolleyes

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2013, 11:05 AM
RE: What is your favorite taken out of context or simply made up quote used by believers.
(21-09-2013 04:10 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  Not sure if this fits, but "God will never give you more than what you can handle". Not only is it completely absent from the bible (in any form), but completely untrue. If a god exists at all, he gives people more than what they can handle every day. That's one of the reasons suicide happens.

Catholics are quite fond of using that quote to justify banning birth control and abortion. Even in the cases of rape. And while they aren't quotes, I know several theists who are fond of the "Einstein humiliates atheist professor" and the "dropped chalk" stories and will use them to argue for Christianity.
21-09-2013, 10:11 PM
(21-09-2013 09:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 05:35 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  I was taught a song about it in Sunday school and to this day every time someone says it, the damn thing plays through my head.

If it makes you feel any better, the only thing I remember from my Latin class is how to sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. Yep, I can sing a children's lullaby in a dead language. Rolleyes

I can sing "Oh come, all ye faithful" in latin. I'm hoping someday that will be useful.

I'm not normally like this.
22-09-2013, 04:36 AM
(21-09-2013 09:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Sounds like what I know from French class. I can sing "Fraire Jacque" and "Allouette" Tongue

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
23-09-2013, 11:44 PM
"God helps those who help themselves" -somewhere in the Bible

It's nowhere in the Bible, and even if it were true, would make God merely superfluous. You know like he is now, where he is just given credit for things that happened without his influence.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]