What is your good book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2011, 10:01 AM
RE: What is your good book?
(20-08-2011 11:06 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlan and Illusions by Richard Bach

To me these sorts of fiction tales help people grasp their questions in their own unique way.

I'm just mentioning books anyone should read =p

Happens i read all three, and each made an impression, at different times of life. Ishmael persists - indeed, i still have a copy - while Stranger was rather spoiled by idiots grokking everything.

But i forgot to mention the definitive perspective on religion: Terry Pratchett's Small Gods The collaboration Good Omens is also worth a read, and Gaiman's American Gods is a thorough, entertaining review of religion as a whole.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2011, 07:49 PM
(20-08-2011 11:06 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlan

Heinlein's writings can liberate your mind when you read them young and don't know much about the world; he especially questions christian ways of thinking. But when you get some adult life experience under your belt, you realize how much Heinlein bullshitted just to tell a good story.

I have to laugh at middle-aged people who still hold up pulp authors like Robert Heinlein and Ayn Rand (some guys mention both of them) as sources of adult wisdom which have guided their lives. The science fiction writer L. Neil Smith has done this:

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rahandme/lneilsmith.html

And you can find similar gushing praises of Heinlein from people in the polyamory subculture.
04-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. There was a long process of slipping away from Evangelical Christianity before that, but when
(SPOILER)

Vorbis attacked Brutha in the desert it was like a switch flipped in my head and I realized I didn't believe in God, the supernatural, etc, anymore. It's still a book I read every 6 months or so.
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 01:55 AM
The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James

That may seem odd because I am an antheist, but I enjoy his writing. Also, the Inner Chapters by Chuang Tzu- Taoism
14-09-2011, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2011 05:51 PM by TrainWreck.)
What are you guy's talking about - that the ideas presented in a book format so significantly changed your beliefs from that which you before your enlightenment?

And, that the ideas were so significant that years later you find opportunity to refer to the ideas in some kind of correlation with a contemporary situation that causes you make a decision different, and in accordance with the enlightened logic, then what you would have chosen prior to your experience of enlightenment to the significant idea in the book?
(04-09-2011 01:27 PM)Kookaburra Wrote:  . . . it was like a switch flipped in my head and I realized I didn't believe in God, the supernatural, etc, anymore. It's still a book I read every 6 months or so.
How long have you been this compulsive?

I hope it's a short story.

What do you think about how it does not effect other people as it has effected you?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
22-09-2011, 02:37 PM
This may sound weird and know that i'm not making fun of anyone or anything.
Sun tsu's "The Art of War" and ask a ninja's "Secret Ninja Handbook"

The first one taught me how to think logically and move only when it's a good time to which applies to more than you think it would.

The second one taught me to laugh at the dumbest things and that people like ninja jokes (comes in handy at parties).

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
28-09-2011, 12:13 PM
(22-09-2011 02:37 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  This may sound weird and know that i'm not making fun of anyone or anything.
Sun tsu's "The Art of War" and ask a ninja's "Secret Ninja Handbook"

The first one taught me how to think logically and move only when it's a good time to which applies to more than you think it would.

The second one taught me to laugh at the dumbest things and that people like ninja jokes (comes in handy at parties).

Hey, I'm reading Sun Tsu's "The Art of War" at the moment, it's a great book! Thank you!
29-09-2011, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2011 04:51 PM by Peterkin.)
(04-09-2011 01:27 PM)Kookaburra Wrote:  Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. There was a long process of slipping .... it was like a switch flipped in my head and I realized I didn't believe in God, the supernatural, etc, anymore. It's still a book I read every 6 months or so.

I like most of Patchett, just for fun - and for a refreshing look at society and governance - but i found this one remarkable. Like an x-ray of religion, both organized and personal. Strongly recommended for anyone [who has a sense of humour] struggling through the process of deconversion.

Also Sheri Tepper's 'The Family Tree' and 'Gate to Women's Country'. They're not about religion; they're about humanity.
And i loved Gibbon, for edification and entertainment.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
29-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Nothing quite so deep as a lot of the tombs mentioned above.

Douglas Adams, The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. All 5 of the series when I am looking to be entertained by humanities ridiculousness.

Clive Barker, The Books of Blood, for when I seek a darker shade of entertainment.

Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
30-09-2011, 06:19 PM
(29-09-2011 05:25 PM)coyoteran Wrote:  Nothing quite so deep as a lot of the tombs mentioned above.

Douglas Adams, The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. All 5 of the series when I am looking to be entertained by humanities ridiculousness.

Clive Barker, The Books of Blood, for when I seek a darker shade of entertainment.

Trevor
Tombs = tomes. Duh. Senior moment.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.