What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
20-08-2014, 06:56 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(20-08-2014 03:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I'm just sitting here at the 'dinning table', peacefully disassembling my old laptop, hoping to salvage parts from it and my sister is cooking dinner for the rest of the people here (I generally get my own). The house is full of smoke and my eyes are burning.

Additionally, I have no idea if half the stuff I'm taking are worth anything for later use if they are out of the original system! Can I incorporate my perfectly functional and better screen into a newly built computer to save costs?! Can I use the CMOS battery?!
Where on Earth is that damned graphics card?!

Very often there is no graphics card, it's contained in the motherboard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2014, 07:09 AM
(20-08-2014 06:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 03:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I'm just sitting here at the 'dinning table', peacefully disassembling my old laptop, hoping to salvage parts from it and my sister is cooking dinner for the rest of the people here (I generally get my own). The house is full of smoke and my eyes are burning.

Additionally, I have no idea if half the stuff I'm taking are worth anything for later use if they are out of the original system! Can I incorporate my perfectly functional and better screen into a newly built computer to save costs?! Can I use the CMOS battery?!

Very often there is no graphics card, it's contained in the motherboard.

Behold my ignorance!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 08:16 AM

There is very little that can be re-used freely. The motherboard (which will include most formerly discrete secondary chips - graphics, sound, networking, peripheral controllers) is more or less built to fit a given chassis. You can't just drop in a replacement (that's what desktops are for!).

The RAM is always easy to recover; hard drives, almost as much. Standard form factor optical drives, probably.

... this is my signature!
20-08-2014, 03:46 PM
(20-08-2014 08:16 AM)cjlr Wrote:  

There is very little that can be re-used freely. The motherboard (which will include most formerly discrete secondary chips - graphics, sound, networking, peripheral controllers) is more or less built to fit a given chassis. You can't just drop in a replacement (that's what desktops are for!).

The RAM is always easy to recover; hard drives, almost as much. Standard form factor optical drives, probably.

I do intend to use at least some of what I gained to work with a home-built desktop as cost-cutting, if possible.
Considering that I got basically everything I could out of the laptop and replaced the motherboard for storage, I've got a decent amount of stuff to maybe use int he future if possible... It's not like I was ever going to use that laptop again anyway since the battery and fan were busted (though the fan and heat sink were clogged in dust so that may have been the issue, cooling-wise)...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Fans and batteries can be replaced. The latter easily. The former much less so depending on the complexity. But you've already disassembled so you're halfway there!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
20-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Having no food at all until Saturday. All I've eaten today is a bowl of ramen noodles and I feel like I'm dying on the inside.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
20-08-2014, 11:42 PM
(20-08-2014 08:23 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Having no food at all until Saturday. All I've eaten today is a bowl of ramen noodles and I feel like I'm dying on the inside.

Because you are. Your body is eating itself.
21-08-2014, 12:02 AM
(20-08-2014 06:41 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Fans and batteries can be replaced. The latter easily. The former much less so depending on the complexity. But you've already disassembled so you're halfway there!

Well, I had to get past the motherboard to get to the fan...

And I can't afford a new fan or battery...

I figured I'd just see if I can use anything from it later.

21-08-2014, 12:31 AM
(20-08-2014 11:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 08:23 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Having no food at all until Saturday. All I've eaten today is a bowl of ramen noodles and I feel like I'm dying on the inside.

Because you are. Your body is eating itself.

hm... third world problem. your post doesn't qualify for this thread.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
21-08-2014, 12:41 AM
(21-08-2014 12:02 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 06:41 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Fans and batteries can be replaced. The latter easily. The former much less so depending on the complexity. But you've already disassembled so you're halfway there!

Well, I had to get past the motherboard to get to the fan...

And I can't afford a new fan or battery...

I figured I'd just see if I can use anything from it later.

Fair enough. I know a friend of mine managed to get a replacement fan off eBay for cheap. Batteries do tend to be expensive though.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum