What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
21-08-2014, 01:41 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(20-08-2014 03:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 08:16 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There is very little that can be re-used freely. The motherboard (which will include most formerly discrete secondary chips - graphics, sound, networking, peripheral controllers) is more or less built to fit a given chassis. You can't just drop in a replacement (that's what desktops are for!).

The RAM is always easy to recover; hard drives, almost as much. Standard form factor optical drives, probably.

I do intend to use at least some of what I gained to work with a home-built desktop as cost-cutting, if possible.
Considering that I got basically everything I could out of the laptop and replaced the motherboard for storage, I've got a decent amount of stuff to maybe use int he future if possible... It's not like I was ever going to use that laptop again anyway since the battery and fan were busted (though the fan and heat sink were clogged in dust so that may have been the issue, cooling-wise)...
Depending on how old the laptop is, you probably won't be able to reuse anything, especially on a home-built desktop with newer components.
RAM: it's probably a DDR1 or DDR2 type. Forget it, desktop motherboards have been using DDR3 for at least the last 4-5 years. Not to mention that laptop RAM has a completely different socket (SO-DIMM) than desktop RAM.
Optical drive: very difficult to mount in a desktop case, and it probably still has a PATA/IDE interface. Forget it.
Hard drive: Maybe you can reuse that, if it has a SATA interface. But why would you want to reuse a 5+ years old hard drive, which is probably close to its natural death?
Screen: it will have an LVDS interface, which means you would have to buy an adapter (expensive) to connect it to a desktop graphic card.
CPU: if it was mounted on a socket, you probably took it out. Problem is, desktop motherboards have completely different sockets.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 02:06 AM
(21-08-2014 01:41 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 03:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I do intend to use at least some of what I gained to work with a home-built desktop as cost-cutting, if possible.
Considering that I got basically everything I could out of the laptop and replaced the motherboard for storage, I've got a decent amount of stuff to maybe use int he future if possible... It's not like I was ever going to use that laptop again anyway since the battery and fan were busted (though the fan and heat sink were clogged in dust so that may have been the issue, cooling-wise)...

Depending on how old the laptop is, you probably won't be able to reuse anything, especially on a home-built desktop with newer components.
RAM: it's probably a DDR1 or DDR2 type. Forget it, desktop motherboards have been using DDR3 for at least the last 4-5 years. Not to mention that laptop RAM has a completely different socket (SO-DIMM) than desktop RAM.
Optical drive: very difficult to mount in a desktop case, and it probably still has a PATA/IDE interface. Forget it.
Hard drive: Maybe you can reuse that, if it has a SATA interface. But why would you want to reuse a 5+ years old hard drive, which is probably close to its natural death?
Screen: it will have an LVDS interface, which means you would have to buy an adapter (expensive) to connect it to a desktop graphic card.
CPU: if it was mounted on a socket, you probably took it out. Problem is, desktop motherboards have completely different sockets.

Thanks, that clears a lot up.

Now what to do with all there spare parts...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-08-2014, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 05:15 AM by DunkleSeele.)
(21-08-2014 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 01:41 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Depending on how old the laptop is, you probably won't be able to reuse anything, especially on a home-built desktop with newer components.

Thanks, that clears a lot up.

Sell them on ebay? You may still be able to make a few bucks out of them.
Search ebay for the same items as yours and look at the prices, some items (mainly CPU and RAM) may still be worth some money.

EDIT: let me clarify one thing: you may still be able to reuse the RAM if you buy some older, used destop motherboard in Mini-ITX format (very small). Very often MBs in this format use laptop RAM. Still, pay attention to the RAM type (DDR1, DDR2, DDR3) and be sure yours matches the one required by the motherboard (if it uses DDR1, it probably is a grandmotherboard...).
21-08-2014, 05:08 AM
(21-08-2014 12:31 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 11:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because you are. Your body is eating itself.

hm... third world problem. your post doesn't qualify for this thread.

Actually with the increasing gap between rich and poor with the richer getting richer and the poorer getting poorer it's increasingly becoming a first world problem among the lower income populace also.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-08-2014, 05:24 AM
(21-08-2014 02:11 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Thanks, that clears a lot up.

Sell them on ebay? You may still be able to make a few bucks out of them.
Search ebay for the same items as yours and look at the prices, some items (mainly CPU and RAM) may still be worth some money.

EDIT: let me clarify one thing: you may still be able to reuse the RAM if you buy some older, used destop motherboard in Mini-ITX format (very small). Very often MBs in this format use laptop RAM. Still, pay attention to the RAM type (DDR1, DDR2, DDR3) and be sure yours matches the one required by the motherboard (if it uses DDR1, it probably is a grandmotherboard...).

I'm not sure that laptop was quite so ancient as that...
Then again, I don't know exactly when it was produced; earliest thing I've found is that the model dates back at least to 2009...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-08-2014, 05:25 AM
(21-08-2014 05:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 02:11 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Sell them on ebay? You may still be able to make a few bucks out of them.

I'm not sure that laptop was quite so ancient as that...
Then again, I don't know exactly when it was produced; earliest thing I've found is that the model dates back at least to 2009...
Which make and model?
21-08-2014, 05:26 AM
(21-08-2014 05:25 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm not sure that laptop was quite so ancient as that...
Which make and model?

It was an HP Pavilion Dv7-1211TX.

21-08-2014, 05:33 AM
(21-08-2014 05:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:25 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Which make and model?

It was an HP Pavilion Dv7-1211TX.
It was actually still a good notebook. Why did you cannibalise it?
21-08-2014, 05:41 AM
(21-08-2014 05:33 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It was an HP Pavilion Dv7-1211TX.

It was actually still a good notebook. Why did you cannibalise it?

T'was a good laptop, it's true. But it was quite heavy and cumbersome...

The main reason I cannibalised it was because it didn't work. Stopped working a while ago. Sent it off to some local tech group and their findings were... less than appealing; said it needed a new fan, battery, motherboard (if I do recall correctly). For the price they quoted I could have brought a half-decent custom gaming PC (they said something like $1200), so I decided to shelve it. Then I got bored and took it apart for spare parts in case I could use them later. If I could repair it, I'd love to, but alas I lack the funds.

21-08-2014, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 05:59 AM by DunkleSeele.)
(21-08-2014 05:41 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:33 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  It was actually still a good notebook. Why did you cannibalise it?

T'was a good laptop, it's true. But it was quite heavy and cumbersome...

The main reason I cannibalised it was because it didn't work. Stopped working a while ago. Sent it off to some local tech group and their findings were... less than appealing; said it needed a new fan, battery, motherboard (if I do recall correctly). For the price they quoted I could have brought a half-decent custom gaming PC (they said something like $1200), so I decided to shelve it. Then I got bored and took it apart for spare parts in case I could use them later. If I could repair it, I'd love to, but alas I lack the funds.
I see... well, you could have found a replacement motherboard on ebay, a fan and a battery would cost you max $100 (non-original battery), let's say you could have done the job for $300.

Anyway, now it's apart; you should have 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a Core 2 Duo T9550 CPU (I take it it was on a socket and not directly soldered on the MB), these alone could well make you $100+ on ebay. Sell also the screen as spare part, probably you could also make $40-50 on it. Oh, and don't forget the DVD drive, you may make a few bucks on it as well. The WiFi card could also be sold, especially because HP laptops have a "whitelist" built-in in their BIOS which allow only WiFi cards from HP (that is, rebranded Intel ones and sold for 5x the price).

Don't try to sell the HDD, I don't think anyone would buy it given how cheap new ones are today. Moreover, someone could try and recover your data even if you deleted them and reformatted the HDD.
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post