What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
21-08-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(21-08-2014 05:53 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:41 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  T'was a good laptop, it's true. But it was quite heavy and cumbersome...

The main reason I cannibalised it was because it didn't work. Stopped working a while ago. Sent it off to some local tech group and their findings were... less than appealing; said it needed a new fan, battery, motherboard (if I do recall correctly). For the price they quoted I could have brought a half-decent custom gaming PC (they said something like $1200), so I decided to shelve it. Then I got bored and took it apart for spare parts in case I could use them later. If I could repair it, I'd love to, but alas I lack the funds.
I see... well, you could have found a replacement motherboard on ebay, a fan and a battery would cost you max $100 (non-original battery), let's say you could have done the job for $300.

Anyway, now it's apart; you should have 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a CoreDuo 9660 CPU (I take it it was on a socket and not directly soldered on the MB), these alone could well make you $100+ on ebay. Sell also the screen as spare part, probably you could also make $40-50 on it. Oh, and don't forget the DVD drive, you may make a few bucks on it as well. The WiFi card could also be sold, especially because HP laptops have a "whitelist" built-in in their BIOS which allow only WiFi cards from HP (that is, rebranded Intel ones and sold for 5x the price).

Don't try to sell the HDD, I don't think anyone would buy it given how cheap new ones are today. Moreover, someone could try and recover your data even if you deleted them and reformatted the HDD.

Thanks for the information! Thumbsup
At least something came of this venture, you have been remarkably helpful.

Probably a dumb question; but do you think I might be able to get anything from stuff like the heat sink, sound, USB and modem cards?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 06:32 AM
(21-08-2014 06:20 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:53 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  I see... well, you could have found a replacement motherboard on ebay, a fan and a battery would cost you max $100 (non-original battery), let's say you could have done the job for $300.

Anyway, now it's apart; you should have 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a CoreDuo 9660 CPU (I take it it was on a socket and not directly soldered on the MB), these alone could well make you $100+ on ebay. Sell also the screen as spare part, probably you could also make $40-50 on it. Oh, and don't forget the DVD drive, you may make a few bucks on it as well. The WiFi card could also be sold, especially because HP laptops have a "whitelist" built-in in their BIOS which allow only WiFi cards from HP (that is, rebranded Intel ones and sold for 5x the price).

Don't try to sell the HDD, I don't think anyone would buy it given how cheap new ones are today. Moreover, someone could try and recover your data even if you deleted them and reformatted the HDD.

Thanks for the information! Thumbsup

Probably a dumb question; but do you think I might be able to get anything from stuff like the heat sink, sound, USB and modem cards?
You're welcome, glad I could help!

On ebay or amazon there's a huge market for spare parts for older laptops, mainly because buying them new from the manufacturer would prove either impossible or extremely expensive (see the quote you received to fix your device). My advice is to look on ebay or amazon for the items you would sell and see the offers. The heatsink will probably not sell (they usually don't break), the cards may very well fetch you a few bucks, although I have some doubts about the modem (who uses modems nowadays?).

You may try to put the chassis for sale. If someone has a cracked chassis they may be interested.

EDIT: Oh, also the multimedia remote control. People tend to lose these things and may want to buy a replacement one.
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post
21-08-2014, 10:56 AM
I can't find my polarized Michael Kors ophthalmic sunglasses.

I wouldn't be so upset, but my car got broken into about 6 months ago and my Guess polarized ophthalmics got stolen, so I only had the Michael Kors left.

And my office (I work in an optometry office) has to order the frame and lenses because the lenses are the highest quality.

I. Am. Dead.
21-08-2014, 02:21 PM
That awkward moment when you see that a one of your facetious posts has been liked by one of the forum loonies... you gotta wonder... does (s)he think I was serious. This is what makes me wanna be an alcoholic when I grow up... Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-08-2014, 03:15 PM
(21-08-2014 06:32 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 06:20 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Thanks for the information! Thumbsup

You're welcome, glad I could help!

On ebay or amazon there's a huge market for spare parts for older laptops, mainly because buying them new from the manufacturer would prove either impossible or extremely expensive (see the quote you received to fix your device). My advice is to look on ebay or amazon for the items you would sell and see the offers. The heatsink will probably not sell (they usually don't break), the cards may very well fetch you a few bucks, although I have some doubts about the modem (who uses modems nowadays?).

You may try to put the chassis for sale. If someone has a cracked chassis they may be interested.

EDIT: Oh, also the multimedia remote control. People tend to lose these things and may want to buy a replacement one.

That thing came with a remote?!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Most of the freakin' gas stations have stopped selling Spicy V8.

So annoying.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
21-08-2014, 03:39 PM
(21-08-2014 03:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Most of the freakin' gas stations have stopped selling Spicy V8.

So annoying.

Gotta get that fix
21-08-2014, 03:52 PM
(21-08-2014 03:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 06:32 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  You're welcome, glad I could help!

That thing came with a remote?!
I took a quick look at the product information and a multimedia remote is mentioned.
21-08-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 04:02 PM by Deidre32.)
Trusting people I shouldn't...

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
21-08-2014, 04:03 PM
(21-08-2014 03:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Most of the freakin' gas stations have stopped selling Spicy V8.

So annoying.

people really drink v8? Laugh out load

jk!

Be true to yourself. Heart