What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
16-12-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(16-12-2014 11:09 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Do I stay with the job I'm at now that pays well, has a reliable retirement program (gov't), is easy most of the time, and keeps me within a couple hundred miles of home, but is boring as shit and provides no personal satisfaction and makes me feel resentful of "civilized" society most of the time, and occasionally gives rise to PTSD related issues I didn't previously even realize I had, or do I take the new offer that pays really, really, really well, is actually interesting, allows me to be home and not working for about a week and a half straight per month, but requires me to be way the hell up north in the middle of nowhere in a place that reminds me of those arctic camps in horror movies like "The Thing" on a 2 week in/out rotation?

Option #2 looks better to me...but that's me. YMMV
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2014, 10:54 PM
When you say "way the hell up north" do you mean the Arctic? As a Canadian that's what I think of and just thinking of that reminds me of the guy on Z Nation. I say buck fuck nowhere that's interesting and challenging is better than a boring, unsatisfying somewhere. At least until you lose interest Tongue
16-12-2014, 11:08 PM
More like in the vicinity of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I'm American originally, so for me that's way the hell north Tongue

'Murican Canadian
16-12-2014, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2014 11:15 PM by yakherder.)
Losing interest is indeed a problem of mine. The Army's all I've ever really not got tired of. If I didn't still get my weekend warrior fix in Vermont I'd go insane. Even from Yellowknife, I plan on flying back to Montreal each month during my off periods and continuing to do my monthly training just a hop and a skip across the border.

I don't know how the hell people last with 9 to 5 for their entire lives. The thought of it makes me claustrophobic.

'Murican Canadian
17-12-2014, 08:13 AM
(16-12-2014 11:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  More like in the vicinity of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I'm American originally, so for me that's way the hell north Tongue

Option #2 sounds better to me; what would really clinch it is if I thought that it was a good step towards something even better.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2014, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 01:55 PM by yakherder.)
(17-12-2014 08:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 11:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  More like in the vicinity of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I'm American originally, so for me that's way the hell north Tongue

Option #2 sounds better to me; what would really clinch it is if I thought that it was a good step towards something even better.

And that's pretty much the deal breaker right there. My current job doesn't lead anywhere except admin, which is my bane of existence. And when you see a drug bust go down in which 90% of the arrestees are people you already recognize as being repeat offenders despite not having even been with the job for a year yet, you start to realize how completely pointless it is.

I'm not gonna start burning bridges yet, but I just bought my ticket to Yellowknife for the follow up interview. I'm still gonna stay in the Vermont Guard until they kick my old ass out. I wouldn't want to give up my monthly outings of blowing shit up in the mountains, nor would I want to pass up the potential opportunity to go mix it up with some jihadis (plus most of my own guns are either not legal in Canada or have attachments/modifications that aren't legal in Canada, necessitating frequent trips into the U.S. for my fun time), but aside from that I'm gonna try to move away from gov't/military work. I'll definitely take the lead as the guy who travels the farthest to get to drill. Right now that honor goes to a guy who lives in Texas, but still travels to Vermont every month lol.

'Murican Canadian
18-12-2014, 03:11 AM
After getting one of the cats an exam at the vet, I'm pretty much broke.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Every other strand of lights on my fucking Christmas tree burned out today, and I already have all the ornaments and garland on it.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
18-12-2014, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2014 01:07 AM by Lienda Bella.)
My Dad rode a motorcycle. One day he rode it past a fence that had an angry bull dog in it. The dog had plenty of room at the gate to get out, so it did. It ran toward him with a bark and snarl, and my Dad thought it was going to bite him. He pulled out a gun and shot it. The owner than came out with a rifle and pointed it into my Dad's face, probably telling him all kinds of things. I was on my way back from the river when I looked at an area that we normally turn in to get back to the house. There was a guy in a bandana, and four men around him. I had planned on going to the other hill side first and figured he was talking to some guys about repair work or something. When I came back, he told me that he was beaten and threatened with a rifle. He wanted to take pictures of himself immediately, but there wasn't much in the way of bruises. I'm still mad at the thugs.

^.^* heh
19-12-2014, 04:51 PM
did you know they make cotton candy flavoured alcohol