What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
25-11-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(25-11-2013 04:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  The freaking fire alarm went off while I was in the shower - I had left the bathroom door open.

Why doesn't the fire alarm know the difference between smoke and steam? Angry

If I remember right it's because of how a smoke alarm works. There's a little light beam or laser or something and if it's broken it goes off. So a heavy steam will act like smoke blocking it.

Yeah, this is from yahoo answers:

"Little history on smoke alarms: They used to contain a tiny amount of Americum (nuclear material pronounced "AM - MER - REE - CEE - UM") that would ionize smoke particles. Water vapor (steam) can not be ionized. That ionization was then read by a sensor. If the level was high enough it would trip the smoke alarm.

Today they don't use nuclear materials in them anymore. People freaked out when they learned they had radiation in their homes (which was significantly lower than background radiation that naturally occurs). And away went those older style alarms. Instead, they use an optical sensor and an LED. When the air is clear all the light from the emitter would fall on the sensor and all would be well. But when dust builds up on the sensor, water vapor can fool the sensor into thinking there's smoke. That's the biggest reason why they suggest replacing smoke detectors every so often. I think they say every five years, but I'm not sure on that."

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
26-11-2013, 04:32 AM
I have two computer mice, one I use for my PC and one I use for my laptop.
I only use my pc for photoshop because the heatsink on the processor is fucked, but the mice I use for it is my good razor gaming mouse because I use to use it for gaming.
Now I use my laptop (for now) but the mouse I use for my laptop is a cheap and nasty logitech mouse with a sticky left click.

But I'm too lazy to climb under my desk to unplug my computer mouse and swap them over. :crying:
26-11-2013, 04:33 AM
I don't know the bbcode for: Weeping off by heart.
Weeping
26-11-2013, 04:59 AM
(26-11-2013 04:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I have two computer mice, one I use for my PC and one I use for my laptop.
I only use my pc for photoshop because the heatsink on the processor is fucked, but the mice I use for it is my good razor gaming mouse because I use to use it for gaming.
Now I use my laptop (for now) but the mouse I use for my laptop is a cheap and nasty logitech mouse with a sticky left click.

But I'm too lazy to climb under my desk to unplug my computer mouse and swap them over. :crying:

Its like Narnia under my computer desk, my cat has been missing for a week.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
26-11-2013, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 08:47 AM by Free Thought.)
Somehow the people in my household have gone over our monthly internet limit.

Due to our plan, we don't get extra charges, but we do drop back into what seems to be the Dial-up era of the Internet, of which I know painfully well...

That is to say: the Internet is REALLY fucking slow!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-11-2013, 07:26 AM
(26-11-2013 07:09 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Somehow the people in my household have gone over our monthly internet limit.

Due to our plan, we don't get extra charges, but we do drop back into what seems to be the Dial-up era of the Internet, of which I know painfully well...

That is to say: t/he Internet is REALLY fucking slow!

Well that saved me the trouble of looking up what country you are from.Smile

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
26-11-2013, 08:47 AM
(26-11-2013 07:26 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 07:09 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Somehow the people in my household have gone over our monthly internet limit.

That is to say: t/he Internet is REALLY fucking slow!

Well that saved me the trouble of looking up what country you are from.Smile

It is that obvious!?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-11-2013, 12:06 PM

That is to say: the Internet is REALLY fucking slow!

Ah, Dial-up. Those were the days. When downloading an 8-bit game could take all day long, with many re-dials and failed downloads.

Memories.....

But now we have FiOS!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
26-11-2013, 06:12 PM
One of my finals is during a different week than the other four. I don't know why this irritates the fuck out of me, but it does. >_<

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
26-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, my freakin' best friend (Hughsie) is awful at keeping promises.

Sad