What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
08-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Re: What is your latest first world problem ?
I REALLY want to put the thermostat below 83°F, but if I do the electric bill will be too high.
Weeping
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mecanna's post
08-07-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(08-07-2015 08:00 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I nursed my very small brandy for over 2 hours. Now it is finished. Sad
Wouldn't it be better to be over a nurse named Brandy for 2 hours?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
10-07-2015, 06:14 PM
We ran out of coffee creamer in the office fridge. I had to use powdered. The horror!
[+] 3 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
11-07-2015, 01:51 AM
My internet is slow.

My mother's defacto's mother is staying for the next few days and everybody upstairs is being noisy.

All the minor pain killers that I can have are unswallowable.

And on a related note, my fucking left arm hurts for no damn reason again.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
11-07-2015, 01:02 PM
I would love for my phone to stop dinging with texts and ringing with phone calls about the African American male in a blue shirt with dreds that sexually assaulted someone on campus around noon and how they've left the area. Thanks. It only took one alert. Besides, after blowing his wad, pretty sure the dude is gone. Just catch the fucker and paste his face all over the news and campus email. Thanks.

And who the fuck assaults someone at noon? Jesus fucking Christ. (Autocorrect's capitalization.) Makes me even more nervous about my three quarter mile walk to my car when I get sent home in the middle of the night.

Assholes. Fuck with me and I will fight back. At a bare minimum you will be missing some skin from the very unaffectionate, very aggressive bites. You'll have to drug me if you don't want to lose your dick.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
12-07-2015, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 07:08 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(11-07-2015 01:02 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I would love for my phone to stop dinging with texts and ringing with phone calls about the African American male in a blue shirt with dreds that sexually assaulted someone on campus around noon and how they've left the area. Thanks. It only took one alert. Besides, after blowing his wad, pretty sure the dude is gone. Just catch the fucker and paste his face all over the news and campus email. Thanks.

And who the fuck assaults someone at noon? Jesus fucking Christ. (Autocorrect's capitalization.) Makes me even more nervous about my three quarter mile walk to my car when I get sent home in the middle of the night.

Assholes. Fuck with me and I will fight back. At a bare minimum you will be missing some skin from the very unaffectionate, very aggressive bites. You'll have to drug me if you don't want to lose your dick.

Ahh, how Law Enforcement loves the "roving predator" narrative. And how easy it is to feed that narrative for one's own purposes. Rape is a serious problem on our college campuses, but there are elements of this story that trigger my "skepticism alarm".

A stranger-rape at noon is highly unlikely, especially in an environment like that. Though we tend to see rape as it is portrayed in media, with the break-in and violent attack by a vicious predator, the fact is the overwhelming majority of rapes (especially on college campuses) are committed by someone known to the victim.

Based on your bulletin-description, I'd guess that this "African American male" was there for some other purpose--if your college is anything like the ones with which I'm familiar, it's often to deliver drugs to privileged white kids in the dorms or campus housing--and Something Went Wrong™. Either they got intoxicated together and he crossed a line in pressing his sexual interest (which could be as innocuous as a hand on the thigh, if someone objects to the interracial contact, or she herself is suddenly horrified by the thought when it becomes more real in the moment), or it was entirely non-sexual, such as he stole their drug money without delivering the goods, and they reported a rape because you can't report "he stole our drug money without giving us the drugs!!! ".

There are many other scenarios-- but I just can't buy that a person broke into the dorms to rape a college girl at noon and then decided to wander around campus like a velociraptor looking for more victims. Especially when it's a generic "African-American with dreds" warning, we should be skeptical. It's something I have seen often, in taking the appellate cases of dreadlocked, dark-skinned men in prison, whom the police picked up randomly, after an alleged victim gave that description, and were convicted despite having numerous witnesses placing them miles from the scene where the white, usually privileged-subclass, chick reported a "dreadlocked black man" attacking/robbing/raping them (we're so afraid of the invented myth of the "Predatory Black Rapist", from Klan fantasies of yore that have infused our culture, that juries don't care much for facts, and will convict on terrible evidence rather than risk even the possibility of letting a predator go free), we should be skeptical.

All those messages, the vigilance-warnings, and the "all clear" broadcasts are "Look! See? Look how much we are Doing Something About It™!"

It's the same with them as with the TSA. They really don't protect or prevent anything, but they're very good at casting aspersions and making a big show of Your Tax Dollars Are Protecting You™.

Finally, Nurse, I hope you never have to deal with this at all, and you have a nice, peaceful life free of the violence of men, but be careful believing that fighting them off is possible. You're quite correct, though, that scratching/gouging is a good defense, if you can manage it, as it collects DNA under the fingernails... with that information, informing the attacker that even your death will not silence you or prevent his incarceration might save your life. I hate that this is a subject possible to be discussed... knowing men like that exist makes me a little ashamed to be male, as though I must apologize on behalf of my entire gender.
Angry

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
14-07-2015, 05:10 PM
My new mattress arrived a few days early, but my new bed frame is going to arrive a few days late. Weeping

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
14-07-2015, 05:16 PM
(14-07-2015 05:10 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  My new mattress arrived a few days early, but my new bed frame is going to arrive a few days late. Weeping

More comfy this way than it would be if you got the frame and no mattress. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-07-2015, 12:42 AM
I'm sure this was posted on one of the previous 300 pages, but even if so it bears repeating:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
20-07-2015, 04:23 AM
My torrents are downloading so slowly right now and I really want to watch my TV shows today! Weeping

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss