What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
24-08-2015, 06:25 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
I stopped really worrying about things all that much when a few months back I helped an ESL student that I tutor correct some grammar issues with a paper. In it he related a story about when he was a child and was chased up a tree by a lion. His father had to kill a goat to distract the lion so he could get his son out of the tree. After that problems with WiFi, too much to choose from for breakfast and other 'problems' have pretty much ceased to bother me. I may not be wealthy, and I definitely don't subscribe to a philosophy that says 'Everything is Awesome' in America, but I've never come even remotely close to being killed by a lion. I got my leg broken by an elk, but that was a one-off kinda thing. Not saying there aren't things that need fixing but they are macro-level social issues not petty annoyances that can be tweeted away.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheWorkingMan'sIntellectual's post
24-08-2015, 06:34 AM
(24-08-2015 06:25 AM)TheWorkingMansIntellectual Wrote:  I stopped really worrying about things all that much when a few months back I helped an ESL student that I tutor correct some grammar issues with a paper. In it he related a story about when he was a child and was chased up a tree by a lion. His father had to kill a goat to distract the lion so he could get his son out of the tree. After that problems with WiFi, too much to choose from for breakfast and other 'problems' have pretty much ceased to bother me. I may not be wealthy, and I definitely don't subscribe to a philosophy that says 'Everything is Awesome' in America, but I've never come even remotely close to being killed by a lion. I got my leg broken by an elk, but that was a one-off kinda thing. Not saying there aren't things that need fixing but they are macro-level social issues not petty annoyances that can be tweeted away.

Shit happens. I've had 29 broken bones, a close call with a white pointer shark and many other problems.

My latest first world problem is I am being picked up at 12.30 for my 2.00 pm cancer appt and then driven home at 3.30.

Loads of waiting around doing nothing in the hospital. At least I got a ride to and fro. And they wont be shooting chemo into my spine like last thursday that makes me crazy for 10 days. The tenth being the absolute worst!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-08-2015, 07:40 AM
(24-08-2015 06:25 AM)TheWorkingMansIntellectual Wrote:  I stopped really worrying about things all that much when a few months back I helped an ESL student that I tutor correct some grammar issues with a paper. In it he related a story about when he was a child and was chased up a tree by a lion. His father had to kill a goat to distract the lion so he could get his son out of the tree. After that problems with WiFi, too much to choose from for breakfast and other 'problems' have pretty much ceased to bother me. I may not be wealthy, and I definitely don't subscribe to a philosophy that says 'Everything is Awesome' in America, but I've never come even remotely close to being killed by a lion. I got my leg broken by an elk, but that was a one-off kinda thing. Not saying there aren't things that need fixing but they are macro-level social issues not petty annoyances that can be tweeted away.

I actually find myself intentionally trying, hard, to view first world problems as relevant. And I do, indeed, occasionally find myself worrying about petty shit, but for the most part I just don't give a damn half the time. You'd think a 3rd world reality check would make life easier back in the 1st world, but the downside is that it makes it so much more difficult trying to find common ground with the majority of people who have spent their entire lives in a bubble, and over time that inability to be a part of the group hurts.

When I was a few months short from turning 21, coming back home on leave for a month after my first year of being in the real military (I spent the first two years in classes and other training), and having witnessed some truly nightmarish scenes in various violence dominated shitholes, I was visiting a high school friend at his college dorm and after listening to him and his friends chat about random shit for a while I couldn't wait to get the fuck out of there. A single year removed from the first world and I felt like an alien from another planet.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
24-08-2015, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 10:14 AM by yakherder.)
Nonetheless, I do still have my first world problems.
I left my coffee brewing too long this morning. Like, an hour too long. Yes, I will still drink it black.

[Image: dClD6Ze.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
24-08-2015, 11:06 AM
(24-08-2015 07:40 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I actually find myself intentionally trying, hard, to view first world problems as relevant. And I do, indeed, occasionally find myself worrying about petty shit, but for the most part I just don't give a damn half the time. You'd think a 3rd world reality check would make life easier back in the 1st world, but the downside is that it makes it so much more difficult trying to find common ground with the majority of people who have spent their entire lives in a bubble, and over time that inability to be a part of the group hurts.

When I was a few months short from turning 21, coming back home on leave for a month after my first year of being in the real military (I spent the first two years in classes and other training), and having witnessed some truly nightmarish scenes in various violence dominated shitholes, I was visiting a high school friend at his college dorm and after listening to him and his friends chat about random shit for a while I couldn't wait to get the fuck out of there. A single year removed from the first world and I felt like an alien from another planet.

Yeah, my almost decade in prison fighting against my own case put me in touch with poor people who had REALLY been screwed over by the system. I thought the ways they cheated to win (which I eventually was able to prove, thanks to federal oversight of states which get away with so much BS) were truly awful, until I started taking cases of other inmates. It really puts the way the country actually works in our pockets of Third World poverty into perspective for my middle class WAS(P) ass. (P in parentheses because I was raised Protestant but am now, of course, an atheist.) If you think all of America is the First World, or that you have to go to another country to see the Third World, you need to take a trip to the inner-city ghettoes of Saint Louis, or Detroit, New Orleans, etc.

Now that I'm out, even though people are accepting me again because now I'm suddenly not a felon anymore (for some reason, they try to act like I just stepped out of the room for a minute, and everything's okay now that I'm a Good Citizen™ again), I find their prattle to be so irksome that I generally avoid social contact with "average" people. I just feel like an alien on another planet, as you say. Sad

I'm deeply annoyed by the First World problems of the people in the bubble, not because they have problems I can't empathize with (I can), but because they can't see past the bubble enough to even realize why they're so irksome, and I can't explain it to them.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2015, 02:53 PM
(24-08-2015 11:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm deeply annoyed by the First World problems of the people in the bubble, not because they have problems I can't empathize with (I can), but because they can't see past the bubble enough to even realize why they're so irksome, and I can't explain it to them.

I am diagnosing you with a first world problem Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-08-2015, 02:58 PM
(24-08-2015 02:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 11:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm deeply annoyed by the First World problems of the people in the bubble, not because they have problems I can't empathize with (I can), but because they can't see past the bubble enough to even realize why they're so irksome, and I can't explain it to them.

I am diagnosing you with a first world problem Tongue

Doctor morondog M.D

[Image: Doctor-Doggie.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 6 users Like JDog554's post
24-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Yep. That's a First World problem. Well said! Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-08-2015, 09:28 AM
A jar of wheat germ I haven't opened in a few months but thought would be fine seems to have hatched. I almost didn't notice. The first thing that seemed strange was that the bottom layer was normal colored, but the top layer was a little lighter. Upon closer examination, the top was fuzzy and appeared to be moving slightly. Upon even closer examination (with a magnifying glass), there are thousands of tiny bugs running around on top.

Finding a different recipe I guess...

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-08-2015, 09:32 AM
It is my nephew's birthday and we are going out to dinner tonight. It is now 1.30 am. So I have heaps of time. My problem is choosing from the great many restaurants in my area to take he and his GF to? That I can now afford.

I am sure I'll figure something out. There's a good Greek place just up the street or an Italian, or a Korean etc...

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post