What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
29-10-2015, 05:55 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
When you forget you have your computer sound at 100% and a really loud sound plays out of nowhere.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-10-2015, 06:31 PM
(29-10-2015 05:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  When you forget you have your computer sound at 100% and a really loud sound plays out of nowhere.

First thing I do when I get to a different computer (where I used to work, we had computers all over the place, and could log in to do work) I go into the settings and turn the sound off. Cutesy noises annoy the hell out of me. We had all Windows machines, even as front ends for the real computers.

One guy I knew had a MAC that crashed all the time (as did the only MAC I ever used. At the time I was writing FORTRAN programs for number-crunching applications, and ended up having to save after I wrote each line. Nothing like writing a 500 line subroutine, only to have the fucking thing give me a sad face). He made it so that it played the sound clip from Billy Graham (?) that said, "I have sinned against you!", Sadcryface2 but he had to stop that because he got tired of hearing it several times a day. Fucking MACs.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
29-10-2015, 06:33 PM
(29-10-2015 06:31 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 05:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  When you forget you have your computer sound at 100% and a really loud sound plays out of nowhere.

First thing I do when I get to a different computer (where I used to work, we had computers all over the place, and could log in to do work) I go into the settings and turn the sound off. Cutesy noises annoy the hell out of me. We had all Windows machines, even as front ends for the real computers.

One guy I knew had a MAC that crashed all the time (as did the only MAC I ever used. At the time I was writing FORTRAN programs for number-crunching applications, and ended up having to save after I wrote each line. Nothing like writing a 500 line subroutine, only to have the fucking thing give me a sad face). He made it so that it played the sound clip from Billy Graham (?) that said, "I have sinned against you!", Sadcryface2 but he had to stop that because he got tired of hearing it several times a day. Fucking MACs.

I would have crushed that mac out of existence.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-10-2015, 06:54 PM

Windows 10 won't let me do that anymore. In fact I'd say that's my new first world problem. The popups that come up every 3 seconds to say things like "Are you sure? Click Yes if you want to go deaf and probably die horribly" are annoying at a level above all previous versions of Windows. Yeah there's probably a way to turn it off, and it's probably really, really easy, but I've only had it for about a week and I haven't got around to exploring yet.

(Note that, other than that, this has been the smoothest Windows upgrade to date. I don't want to sound like I'm being too overly critical Tongue)

'Murican Canadian
29-10-2015, 06:59 PM
(29-10-2015 06:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

Windows 10 won't let me do that anymore. In fact I'd say that's my new first world problem. The popups that come up every 3 seconds to say things like "Are you sure? Click Yes if you want to go deaf and probably die horribly" are annoying at a level above all previous versions of Windows. Yeah there's probably a way to turn it off, and it's probably really, really easy, but I've only had it for about a week and I haven't got around to exploring yet.

(Note that, other than that, this has been the smoothest Windows upgrade to date. I don't want to sound like I'm being too overly critical Tongue)

I have Windows 10 and it does not do that to me. weird Consider but nah, it was an easy upgrade.

29-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I was looking for an IT guy yesterday at work...found one...the choices we have are dumb ass, dumber ass, lazy fuck who makes too much money and makes the dumb asses do everything, and a wanna-be programmer. Swell. My second computer is actually an old POS that is used as a server for a program I use...it was sounding like it was either going to blow up or fly the fuck away.

They didn't even have a drive where I could try to back things up till they could look at it.. I managed to make two backups in different locations...and get the damn noise to stop.

Never did get an IT guy to my office. Found the same one today still working on the same thing he was working on yesterday. Wanted to know if I still needed help.

Fuck you IT guy, just fuck you. Same guy that couldn't fix my printer...so I did after telling him to just stop before nothing worked any more. Dodgy

I know there are good IT guys out there...there just aren't any where I need one to be.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-10-2015, 07:38 PM
(29-10-2015 07:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I know there are good IT guys out there...there just aren't any where I need one to be.

I'm right here Wink

29-10-2015, 07:43 PM
(29-10-2015 07:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 07:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I know there are good IT guys out there...there just aren't any where I need one to be.

I'm right here Wink

I may be taking you up on that for my own stuff one of these days. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-10-2015, 07:44 PM
(29-10-2015 07:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 07:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm right here Wink

I may be taking you up on that for my own stuff one of these days. Smile

Happy to help Smile though be warned, don't know everything Tongue but I will always try my bestest.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-10-2015, 08:15 PM
(29-10-2015 06:33 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 06:31 PM)Fireball Wrote:  First thing I do when I get to a different computer (where I used to work, we had computers all over the place, and could log in to do work) I go into the settings and turn the sound off. Cutesy noises annoy the hell out of me. We had all Windows machines, even as front ends for the real computers.

I would have crushed that mac out of existence.

That POS was gummint property, just like I was when I was in the US Navy. Believe me, I thought about it. Maybe applesauce? Cool