What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
11-11-2015, 04:13 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
So I received a call from our mortgage company that is processing our application to purchase our brand new dream home....my first and last house ever bought, and we are through the process and will close on the 25th of november!!! This is a dream come true and one I have been working towards pretty hard for 5 years. Leveraging my credit status, financial portfolio, and debt to income ratio into a position that gives me the lowest fixed APR for a 30 year mortgage. It still seems like an impossible dream...

4200 square feet
6 bedrooms
4.5 bathrooms
1.5 kitchens (the .5 kitchen is a full wet bar, full sized fridge, sink, micro, granite countertops and bar down in the rec room)
Solid wood cabinets and granite countertops in kitchen
2 offices
2 workshops
tornado room with a 5 hour fire proof door and anchored walls
Huge rec room
security system
hardwood floors
full crown molding top and bottom on all three floors
Jacuzzi tub
walk in closets
3 car garage with epoxy deck
sunroom
deck
mudroom
rounded corners on all the walls
double insulation
82 recessed lights throughout the house
special fire resistant roof tiles
and on and on....just feels like I am living in a dream

Finally happening......Blush

First world problem? Got to pay rent still in my apartment under contract until Feb 28 2016, so going to be double dipping for a few months payment wise...but i dont care Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
11-11-2015, 04:28 PM
(11-11-2015 04:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So I received a call from our mortgage company that is processing our application to purchase our brand new dream home....my first and last house ever bought, and we are through the process and will close on the 25th of november!!! This is a dream come true and one I have been working towards pretty hard for 5 years. Leveraging my credit status, financial portfolio, and debt to income ratio into a position that gives me the lowest fixed APR for a 30 year mortgage. It still seems like an impossible dream...

4200 square feet
6 bedrooms
4.5 bathrooms
1.5 kitchens (the .5 kitchen is a full wet bar, full sized fridge, sink, micro, granite countertops and bar down in the rec room)
2 offices
2 workshops
Huge rec room
security system
hardwood floors
Jacuzzi tub
walk in closets
sunroom
deck
mudroom
double insulation

First world problem? Got to pay rent still in my apartment under contract until Feb 28 2016, so going to be double dipping for a few months payment wise...but i dont care Big Grin

I'm so happy for you! That sounds amazing!

I've heard those rounded corners might fray a little with the house settling. Also, the screws in the drywall may pop out a little after a year. Get the cheapest paint you can from the builder, and plan on replastering and painting in a year. After that, they'll hold up just fine.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
11-11-2015, 04:38 PM
(11-11-2015 04:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So I received a call from our mortgage company that is processing our application to purchase our brand new dream home....my first and last house ever bought, and we are through the process and will close on the 25th of november!!! This is a dream come true and one I have been working towards pretty hard for 5 years. Leveraging my credit status, financial portfolio, and debt to income ratio into a position that gives me the lowest fixed APR for a 30 year mortgage. It still seems like an impossible dream...

4200 square feet
6 bedrooms
4.5 bathrooms
2 offices
2 workshops
Huge rec room
security system
hardwood floors
Jacuzzi tub
walk in closets
sunroom
deck
mudroom
double insulation

Just out curiousity:
a) What do need such a large house for?
b) Compared to living in a rented place and investing the money into some flats
in a good location to let them (= generating long term income), is it the better
alternative? Have you done the calculations?
c) You have taken hedonic adaptation into account, right?

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zur├╝cklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
11-11-2015, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 04:59 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(11-11-2015 04:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

4200 square feet
6 bedrooms
4.5 bathrooms
2 offices
2 workshops
Huge rec room
security system
hardwood floors
Jacuzzi tub
walk in closets
sunroom
deck
mudroom
double insulation

I'm so happy for you! That sounds amazing!

I've heard those rounded corners might fray a little with the house settling. Also, the screws in the drywall may pop out a little after a year. Get the cheapest paint you can from the builder, and plan on replastering and painting in a year. After that, they'll hold up just fine.

It is brand new, but has been awaiting a buyer for a five years, any settling would have happened by now. The curved corners have a metal support bracing on each corner, with seamless integration into the wall. Here is the TL : DR backstory of it..

It is just my wife and 2 dogs. But we do have aging parents that may have to come live with us at some point. Also I am getting this amazing home for....$269k brand new.....it is an unbelievable deal. Multi millionaire builder was building a home for his mother (92 yo) and his son who both have health problems, so every cool thing you can think of he put in this house....3 months before he finished it they were killed by a drunk driver. So he finished the house and put it on the market at 550k....no takers....dropped the price over and over, carrying it as a loss on his taxes for last 5 years, his tax attorney told him he needed to get rid of it, so he dropped it all the way down to the value of homes in that area....$250k average....only 7 looks, and no one qualified. In that area of tennessee there are two categories of buyers, millionaires who want 6000 sq feet, 5 car garage, 20 acres on top of a mountain, and those who can barely afford a double wide trailer.

Too good to pass up. Also, my wife is an artist who works on various things and needs multiple workshops, this is perfect for that. it wasnt even on the market, he had pulled it off again, and my mother inlaw was telling her hairdresser that her daughter and son in law were moving there and looking to buy a home....the lady said, I know someone you need to talk too. The guy is losing money at this point. The home insurance co appraised it at $550-600k, and I am getting it for half Big Grin

Affordability isnt an issue either, so this is a home we can grow with and retire in. I like that I have room for family if needed.

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
11-11-2015, 05:01 PM
(11-11-2015 04:55 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm so happy for you! That sounds amazing!

It is brand new, but has been awaiting a buyer for a five years, any settling would have happened by now. The curved corners have a metal support bracing on each corner, with seamless integration into the wall. Here is the TL : DR backstory of it..

It is just my wife and 2 dogs. But we do have aging parents that may have to come live with us at some point. Also I am getting this amazing home for....$269k brand new.....it is an unbelievable deal. Multi millionaire builder was building a home for his mother (92 yo) and his son who both have health problems, so every cool thing you can think of he put in this house....3 months before he finished it they were killed by a drunk driver. So he finished the house and out it on the market at 550k....no takers....dropped the price over and over, carrying it as a loss on his taxes for last 5 years, his tax attorney told him he needed to get rid of it, so he dropped it all the way down to the value of homes in that area....$250k average....only 7 looks, and no one qualified. In that area of tennessee there are two categories of buyers, millionaires who want 6000 sq feet, 5 car garage, 20 acres on top of a mountain, and those who can barely afford a double wide trailer.

Too good ot pass up. Also, my wife is an artist who works on various things and needs multiple workshops, this is perfect for that. it wasnt even on the market, he had pulled it off again, and my mother inlaw was telling her hairdresser that her daughter and son in law were moving there and loking to buy a home....the lady said, I kn ow someone you need to talk to. The guy is losing money at this point. The home insurance co appraised it at $550-600k, and I am getting it for half Big Grin

Affordability isnt an issue either, so this is a home we can grow with and retire in. I like that I have room for family if needed.

$269?!? Are you kidding me? That's fantastic!

Well... I guess if such a terrible misfortune had to happen, then at least someone nice can benefit from it. Smile

Live well in it and enjoy your new home!
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
(11-11-2015 05:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:55 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It is brand new, but has been awaiting a buyer for a five years, any settling would have happened by now. The curved corners have a metal support bracing on each corner, with seamless integration into the wall. Here is the TL : DR backstory of it..

It is just my wife and 2 dogs. But we do have aging parents that may have to come live with us at some point. Also I am getting this amazing home for....$269k brand new.....it is an unbelievable deal. Multi millionaire builder was building a home for his mother (92 yo) and his son who both have health problems, so every cool thing you can think of he put in this house....3 months before he finished it they were killed by a drunk driver. So he finished the house and out it on the market at 550k....no takers....dropped the price over and over, carrying it as a loss on his taxes for last 5 years, his tax attorney told him he needed to get rid of it, so he dropped it all the way down to the value of homes in that area....$250k average....only 7 looks, and no one qualified. In that area of tennessee there are two categories of buyers, millionaires who want 6000 sq feet, 5 car garage, 20 acres on top of a mountain, and those who can barely afford a double wide trailer.

Too good ot pass up. Also, my wife is an artist who works on various things and needs multiple workshops, this is perfect for that. it wasnt even on the market, he had pulled it off again, and my mother inlaw was telling her hairdresser that her daughter and son in law were moving there and loking to buy a home....the lady said, I kn ow someone you need to talk to. The guy is losing money at this point. The home insurance co appraised it at $550-600k, and I am getting it for half Big Grin

$269?!? Are you kidding me? That's fantastic!

Well... I guess if such a terrible misfortune had to happen, then at least someone nice can benefit from it. Smile

Live well in it and enjoy your new home!

It is such a dream. I had two inspections done, one by VA and one by a firm I hired to go over it with a fine toothed comb.....perfect. My father in law is an electrical engineer and he checked all of the wiring systems etc....few opportunities come by like this, I just had to leap. Thanks!!!! I am so excited I am like bouncing in my chair

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-11-2015, 07:30 PM
My eyelid muscles keep spasming.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
11-11-2015, 08:18 PM
(11-11-2015 07:30 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  My eyelid muscles keep spasming.

I get that sometimes too. It makes me feel like I've got pulsating crab eyes or something. Then, I ask myself, am I a crusty-acean or a crustacean? Probably just old and crusty, lol.

[Image: MadCrab_zpsbwh2cgsk.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
11-11-2015, 08:51 PM
(11-11-2015 08:18 PM)Captain Congo Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:30 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  My eyelid muscles keep spasming.

I get that sometimes too. It makes me feel like I've got pulsating crab eyes or something. Then, I ask myself, am I a crusty-acean or a crustacean? Probably just old and crusty, lol.

[Image: MadCrab_zpsbwh2cgsk.gif]

I had a dream years ago where a race of crustacean humanoids invaded the world.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
11-11-2015, 09:00 PM
(11-11-2015 04:55 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm so happy for you! That sounds amazing!

It is just my wife and 2 dogs. But we do have aging parents that may have to come live with us at some point. Also I am getting this amazing home for....$269k brand new.....it is an unbelievable deal. Multi millionaire builder was building a home for his mother (92 yo) and his son who both have health problems, so every cool thing you can think of he put in this house....3 months before he finished it they were killed by a drunk driver. So he finished the house and put it on the market at 550k....no takers....dropped the price over and over, carrying it as a loss on his taxes for last 5 years, his tax attorney told him he needed to get rid of it, so he dropped it all the way down to the value of homes in that area....$250k average....only 7 looks, and no one qualified. In that area of tennessee there are two categories of buyers, millionaires who want 6000 sq feet, 5 car garage, 20 acres on top of a mountain, and those who can barely afford a double wide trailer.

Too good to pass up. Also, my wife is an artist who works on various things and needs multiple workshops, this is perfect for that. it wasnt even on the market, he had pulled it off again, and my mother inlaw was telling her hairdresser that her daughter and son in law were moving there and looking to buy a home....the lady said, I know someone you need to talk too. The guy is losing money at this point. The home insurance co appraised it at $550-600k, and I am getting it for half Big Grin

You can do that, in Tennessee. Good for you! Consider it a little return on your many years of service invested in this country, from another Navy Vet. I didn't need the GI Bill for this house, but it came in handy for my first home purchase, in 1986. Where I live, in sunny SoCal, I have a 2105 Sq Ft house that is worth a little over $.5M. 4BR, 2Ba, family room and living room, and a 2-car garage. So, what you are getting is a killer deal, end of story. I just hope it's above the water line, with global warming. The US Navy is already looking in advance at the rising tide at their ports.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post