What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
11-11-2015, 09:44 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(11-11-2015 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have to figure out what's next when I sell the orchard in the spring.

Well that's gonna upset the apple cart... Why're you selling if I may ask?

It's time to move on. An orchard is a shit-load of work.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-11-2015, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 09:37 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Bugs, and bug bites. Don't know how to get rid of the bugs.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
13-11-2015, 11:46 PM
(13-11-2015 09:32 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Bugs, and bug bites. Don't know how to get rid of the bugs.

What kind of bugs? There are a number of solutions, it just depends on the type of bug. Telling a location (longitude and latitude, I don't need to know which city you live in) will help.
13-11-2015, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 11:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-11-2015 11:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(13-11-2015 09:32 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Bugs, and bug bites. Don't know how to get rid of the bugs.

What kind of bugs? There are a number of solutions, it just depends on the type of bug. Telling a location (longitude and latitude, I don't need to know which city you live in) will help.

I eat them. Cicadas are like bug caviar. Motivates the sliverfish and the spiders to see me as a competitor.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-11-2015, 02:28 AM
(13-11-2015 11:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

No idea. It flies too fast usually. There are also small spiders.

14-11-2015, 09:37 AM
(11-11-2015 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Well that's gonna upset the apple cart... Why're you selling if I may ask?

It's time to move on. An orchard is a shit-load of work.

I never understood this. Obviously because I don't own an orchard or have ever worked in one but it always seemed to me that an orchard would be rather chill.
I mean obviously you have harvesting season but that's why you hire Vietnamese immigrants for 2c an hour. Other than that they're just trees...

Get a couple sheep to keep the grass and weeds down (goats might be better though I think the goats would eat low hanging fruit whereas sheep just eat grass). Replace the odd dead tree. Prune them every now and again. Spray for bugs. Maybe buy a bee hive to keep pollination up. Piece of piss.

Where is all the work in an orchard come from?
don't mean to come across as arrogant or like I know any better or anything, I admit I am ignorant, I'm just curious.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-11-2015, 10:34 AM
(14-11-2015 09:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's time to move on. An orchard is a shit-load of work.

I never understood this. Obviously because I don't own an orchard or have ever worked in one but it always seemed to me that an orchard would be rather chill.
I mean obviously you have harvesting season but that's why you hire Vietnamese immigrants for 2c an hour. Other than that they're just trees...

Get a couple sheep to keep the grass and weeds down (goats might be better though I think the goats would eat low hanging fruit whereas sheep just eat grass). Replace the odd dead tree. Prune them every now and again. Spray for bugs. Maybe buy a bee hive to keep pollination up. Piece of piss.

Where is all the work in an orchard come from?
don't mean to come across as arrogant or like I know any better or anything, I admit I am ignorant, I'm just curious.

Trees need multiple spraying each season - it is time-consuming, expensive, and generally poisonous.

Trees need to be pruned every year, and that pruning needs to be done when they are dormant, i.e. in the winter. It is cold and snowy in the winter.

Pruning one tree usually takes 10 or 15 minutes. I have 350 trees - do the math.

Orchards get invaded by vines, especially poison ivy. Takes a fair amount of work to stay ahead of it.

Mowing the orchard takes 2 - 3 hours and needs to be done often. Having sheep or goats won't save that time and would probably take more time and trouble.

Pulling up trees and planting new ones is hard labor, not to mention not cheap.

I don't want to be a beekeeper. I had a hive that an actual beekeeper brought in. I got some free honey out of the deal. Drooling

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Can't talk shit on Twitter anymore No

1 Like = 1 Prayer
14-11-2015, 09:40 PM
My blender is too powerful. I tried to make a heath bar blizzard, but instead ended up with ice cream soup. Sad

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
14-11-2015, 10:10 PM
(11-11-2015 04:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So I received a call from our mortgage company that is processing our application to purchase our brand new dream home....my first and last house ever bought, and we are through the process and will close on the 25th of november!!! This is a dream come true and one I have been working towards pretty hard for 5 years. Leveraging my credit status, financial portfolio, and debt to income ratio into a position that gives me the lowest fixed APR for a 30 year mortgage. It still seems like an impossible dream...

4200 square feet
6 bedrooms
4.5 bathrooms
1.5 kitchens (the .5 kitchen is a full wet bar, full sized fridge, sink, micro, granite countertops and bar down in the rec room)
Solid wood cabinets and granite countertops in kitchen
2 offices
2 workshops
tornado room with a 5 hour fire proof door and anchored walls
Huge rec room
security system
hardwood floors
full crown molding top and bottom on all three floors
Jacuzzi tub
walk in closets
3 car garage with epoxy deck
sunroom
deck
mudroom
rounded corners on all the walls
double insulation
82 recessed lights throughout the house
special fire resistant roof tiles
and on and on....just feels like I am living in a dream

Finally happening......Blush

First world problem? Got to pay rent still in my apartment under contract until Feb 28 2016, so going to be double dipping for a few months payment wise...but i dont care Big Grin

We're gonna be neighbors!!!!!!!!

Banana_zorro

Tennessee is soooooo beautiful! Your next first world problem will be which waterfall to visit first (Rock Island is amaaaaazing).

[Image: 80420E8D-CE49-40F9-A6CD-88053611A007_zps3se7usk1.jpg]

I couldn't get the entire waterfall in the pic from where I was standing. There were others in the area, as well.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post