What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
11-12-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
Ugh that itchy throat dry cough thing has started. Cough medicine doesn't do shit. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-12-2015, 06:00 AM
I've been looking around the past year or so for that ideal "build a dream home" property. I think I found one. Almost completely wooded, but ideal for a spot to build a house. Cheap because the guy wants a quick sale. Next to a river, across the street from a lake. Phone and power hookup already available, one neighbor nearby, but absolutely nothing else. The area is absolutely perfect, like exactly what I envisioned in my imagination as I've been scouting out properties I'm gonna go check it out today (about two hours away), but unless I see something in complete contrast to my research of the site, I expect to buy it quick, as in down payment today and draw up the paperwork Monday, despite knowing I'm about to be laid off Tongue

The first world problem portion of the deal is that I'm about to create a lot of work in a location a bit of a distance from where I live. Expensive work. I'll need to clear some trees (I'm only permitted to clear %40, which is fine, I like trees and it's 1.7 acres total), put in a well, a water treatment system, a septic tank, and build everything from scratch. I'm gonna be a very busy man these next couple years. Hopefully I can find another rotational position like the one I'm being laid off from, otherwise finding time to work on the house will be quite difficult.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
13-12-2015, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 08:01 AM by jennybee.)
(13-12-2015 06:00 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I've been looking around the past year or so for that ideal "build a dream home" property. I think I found one. Almost completely wooded, but ideal for a spot to build a house. Cheap because the guy wants a quick sale. Next to a river, across the street from a lake. Phone and power hookup already available, one neighbor nearby, but absolutely nothing else. The area is absolutely perfect, like exactly what I envisioned in my imagination as I've been scouting out properties I'm gonna go check it out today (about two hours away), but unless I see something in complete contrast to my research of the site, I expect to buy it quick, as in down payment today and draw up the paperwork Monday, despite knowing I'm about to be laid off Tongue

The first world problem portion of the deal is that I'm about to create a lot of work in a location a bit of a distance from where I live. Expensive work. I'll need to clear some trees (I'm only permitted to clear %40, which is fine, I like trees and it's 1.7 acres total), put in a well, a water treatment system, a septic tank, and build everything from scratch. I'm gonna be a very busy man these next couple years. Hopefully I can find another rotational position like the one I'm being laid off from, otherwise finding time to work on the house will be quite difficult.

Sounds like an awesome place! From your other post, it sounds like you have a lot of job possibilities even though you are about to be laid off. (Sorry about your lay off, btw Undecided ). So it sounds like there's a good chance you could find something with a schedule that would allow you to devote a lot of time to your house/ property.

The property does sound like a lot of work, but if you are still planning on keeping your current house, you can take your time getting your new house ready. And you can always pay some people to help you once you get your new job.

Good luck with the house! I hope it works out for you. It definitely sounds like a nice place for you and your family!
13-12-2015, 05:00 PM
My parents gave me my Hanukah present yesterday and, once again, exercised zero imagination. Another sweater from Joseph A. Banks. And, the wrong size too boot, which now means I'm going to be slightly inconvenienced doing an exchange.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2015, 06:02 PM
(13-12-2015 05:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  My parents gave me my Hanukah present yesterday and, once again, exercised zero imagination. Another sweater from Joseph A. Banks. And, the wrong size too boot, which now means I'm going to be slightly inconvenienced doing an exchange.

Good job, BnW. Now you've gone and outed yourself to me.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-12-2015, 06:14 PM
(13-12-2015 06:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Good job, BnW. Now you've gone and outed yourself to me.

I didn't realize I was ever "in".

13-12-2015, 06:15 PM
(13-12-2015 06:14 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 06:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Good job, BnW. Now you've gone and outed yourself to me.

I didn't realize I was ever "in".

Neither did I.
13-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Urgh... Of course nobody bother to report that we are out of laundry powder... Now I have have to go and further decrease my own limited and depleted coffers in order than I and others might wash their clothes...

Perhaps I'll just keep the powder to myself and let the others languish in their unclean clothes as the price of their inaction...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-12-2015, 07:35 PM
(13-12-2015 06:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 06:14 PM)BnW Wrote:  I didn't realize I was ever "in".

Neither did I.

Ok, so what happens now? Stalking? A secret rendezvous? A special class where I learn to spell rendezvous without relying on spell check?

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
13-12-2015, 07:51 PM
(13-12-2015 07:35 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 06:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Neither did I.

Ok, so what happens now? Stalking? A secret rendezvous? A special class where I learn to spell rendezvous without relying on spell check?

Well, you're in luck. Because you're Jewish, nothing happens. No proselytizing (at least not by me), no internet stalking. Nothing. You go back to living your life. -And I just add one mark on my Jewish TTA member count.

A secret rendezvous is not totally out of the question, though.