What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
22-01-2016, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2016 10:16 PM by yakherder.)
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(22-01-2016 08:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(20-01-2016 09:04 AM)yakherder Wrote:  With my layoff and otherwise lack of job availability in the field of remote resource (gold, diamond, oil, etc.) security expected to continue for the next year or two until resources and the Canadian dollar rebound, though there are certainly other lower paying jobs available, or short term contracts that could easily keep me busy and well paid but away from home most of the time, I've just been offered the option to return to Ontario corrections. I said I'd never do that shit again, but I must admit the prospect of a guaranteed 80k to 100k salary over the next year and half or so, depending on how much overtime I opt to take (there's pretty much always a blank check on overtime due to a critical staffing shortage) while I wait for my citizenship requirements to be met and for the resource industry to recover is quite tempting.

I have until February 3rd to decide.

I wish we'd just hurry up and get into another war so I could do that instead.

You're going to have to wait until Trump is sworn in, plus as many seconds as it takes for some sane person to ace him, plus the time it takes to swear Palin in, plus as many seconds as it takes for some sane person to ace her. Then it will complete anarchy, and you will have all the enjoyment you can stand, back in corrections...

If it gets that bad, I'll just go grab my arsenal and sell my services to some rich person with a defensible estate that my family can stay in. That would be my ideal outcome.

The detention centre I'm thinking of returning to is already so overcrowded they've got people sleeping on the floor, and about 100 fewer officers than they need. You can literally work as many overtime hours as you can manage physically and psychologically, the only limit being that you can't go over 16 hours in a single day. The way I like to do it is max out one week to maximize the overtime hours, then on Sunday when it resets back to normal pay, do a normal 48 hour week (four 12 hour shifts, usually the minimum you can work) to catch up on sleep and sanity. Doing it like that makes for about $4000 paychecks after taxes every two weeks. But it's more psychologically draining than fucking Afghanistan.

Easy to make good, predictable money, until other options pan out, but the thought of doing it for more than a few years is depressing. And I have it easier than most because I'm pretty good at maintaining good rapport with both the inmates and the other officers. Contrary to how it may appear online, I have a knack for dealing with ass holes diplomatically. That and I have what the other officers would perceive as this strange, unexplained ability to decipher murderers and psychopaths Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2016, 10:39 PM
(22-01-2016 09:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 08:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  You're going to have to wait until Trump is sworn in, plus as many seconds as it takes for some sane person to ace him, plus the time it takes to swear Palin in, plus as many seconds as it takes for some sane person to ace her. Then it will complete anarchy, and you will have all the enjoyment you can stand, back in corrections...

If it gets that bad, I'll just go grab my arsenal and sell my services to some rich person with a defensible estate that my family can stay in. That would be my ideal outcome.

The detention centre I'm thinking of returning to is already so overcrowded they've got people sleeping on the floor, and about 100 fewer officers than they need. You can literally work as many overtime hours as you can manage physically and psychologically, the only limit being that you can't go over 16 hours in a single day. The way I like to do it is max out one week to maximize the overtime hours, then on Sunday when it resets back to normal pay, do a normal 48 hour week (four 12 hour shifts, usually the minimum you can work) to catch up on sleep and sanity. Doing it like that makes for about $4000 paychecks after taxes every two weeks. But it's more psychologically draining than fucking Afghanistan.

Easy to make good, predictable money, until other options pan out, but the thought of doing it for more than a few years is depressing. And I have it easier than most because I'm pretty good at maintaining good rapport with both the inmates and the other officers. Contrary to how it may appear online, I have a knack for dealing with ass holes diplomatically. That and I have what the other officers would perceive as this strange, unexplained ability to decipher murderers and psychopaths Big Grin

If I win the LOTTO, you'll be the first person I will PM with a job offer. I like your style. Before I turned into the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man, I could hold my own. And I'm not even an asshole. Much. Tongue How would you like to answer the phone and tell people "NO!" when they have some story about how they are relatives/long lost relatives/friends/long lost friends/investors with a sure thing/psychics/etc.? First, I have to buy some tickets, of course. Dodgy

BTW, I have my own arsenal. Dodgy You wouldn't want for much. We can go the gun range and compare marksmanship skills. Evil_monster
23-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Me? I have NO "first world" problems, nor 2nd world problems or 3rd world problems.

Why would you think I/we do have such?
23-01-2016, 11:52 PM
(23-01-2016 11:02 PM)UptownJim Wrote:  Me? I have NO "first world" problems, nor 2nd world problems or 3rd world problems.

Why would you think I/we do have such?

[Image: 2KODfWh.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
24-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Occasional apathy. Not apathy about everything, but mainly my goals in particular.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
24-01-2016, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 02:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-01-2016 01:18 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Occasional apathy. Not apathy about everything, but mainly my goals in particular.

I think they call that malaise, brother. Or maybe angst. I been there. He shows up mostly uninvited but I don't find him particularly unwelcome. Dude clarifies and prioritizes shit.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-01-2016, 04:15 PM
I think I have a hardware problem on my laptop, because several times a day I have to run troubleshooting for it to "fix my wireless network" -- but sometimes the troubleshooting goes wrong, and it says to plug in an ethernet cable to fix it. Seriously? That isn't an acceptable solution at all, you piece of shit laptop.

“If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission.” ― Flemming Rose
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Hospital understaffed and I got here an hour early. No idea how long I will be here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-01-2016, 05:25 PM
(24-01-2016 04:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hospital understaffed and I got here an hour early. No idea how long I will be here.

Hope you are able to get out of there soon. Hug
24-01-2016, 05:31 PM
The government is infecting the population with chemtrails turning the population gay.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post