What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
01-03-2016, 03:39 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
For several years I have taken pictures of the dress rehearsal of the Lakeshore Light Opera's annual G&S operetta.

I just realized that my cameras are 7 and 8 years old. Shocking The lenses are even older. Sadcryface2

Pic from last year's show, my niece is front left. Clearly, I need new cameras. Weeping

[Image: Pirates.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
01-03-2016, 11:31 PM
(01-03-2016 03:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  For several years I have taken pictures of the dress rehearsal of the Lakeshore Light Opera's annual G&S operetta.

I just realized that my cameras are 7 and 8 years old. Shocking The lenses are even older. Sadcryface2

Pic from last year's show, my niece is front left. Clearly, I need new cameras. Weeping

[Image: Pirates.jpg]

Definitely need all new equipment. Sadcryface

This year's show, Patience.

[Image: Patience.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2016, 11:44 PM
(01-03-2016 03:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
my niece is front left.

I can see the resemblance. She has your hair.

Was it a gift?

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-03-2016, 12:17 PM
More language woes... I was looking into getting some mushroom logs started in addition to the other things I've got planned for my forest gardening venture. The site I was reading was in French. The French word for mushrooms is champignons. Then I randomly heard the "We Are the Champions" song. Now I've got the tune stuck in my head, but instead it's "We are the champignons, my friends," which I'm enthusiastically singing as I walk around the house. Probably a good thing my girlfriend is anti-murder.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Just got a "partially meets expectations" review at work despite actually getting a "meets expectations" (and being told as much) because a few people had to get offered up to the gods of the bell curve as a sacrifice.

Of course, they have to make up a pretext for this, and I was told it was because I wasn't collaborating with my broader department. I mentioned reaching out to them to see if they had any programming jobs they might need help on, and I was told "No, just stuff like having coffee with them or chatting with them, more.". So, I literally got fucked out of about $5,000 of raise/bonus for not chatting with my coworkers enough.

Time to start polishing that resume, I think...
02-03-2016, 04:36 PM
(02-03-2016 04:34 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Just got a "partially meets expectations" review at work despite actually getting a "meets expectations" (and being told as much) because a few people had to get offered up to the gods of the bell curve as a sacrifice.

Of course, they have to make up a pretext for this, and I was told it was because I wasn't collaborating with my broader department. I mentioned reaching out to them to see if they had any programming jobs they might need help on, and I was told "No, just stuff like having coffee with them or chatting with them, more.". So, I literally got fucked out of about $5,000 of raise/bonus for not chatting with my coworkers enough.

That is utter bullshit. You're there to work, not make friends. If youre doing your job well thats all that matter.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
02-03-2016, 04:53 PM
It's a side effect of their rating system. Some people need lower ratings to offset the higher ones (cuz bell curve), and if everyone is doing fine, some of them need to be shunted down a step.

The whole chatting collaborating thing was just their official reason. I'm smart enough in my old age to not point out to my boss and her boss that they held me back for not chatting enough.

On the bright side, I might find a job that's not 45 minutes away from my house!
02-03-2016, 04:56 PM
(02-03-2016 04:34 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Just got a "partially meets expectations" review at work despite actually getting a "meets expectations" (and being told as much) because a few people had to get offered up to the gods of the bell curve as a sacrifice.

Too weird, my company is pushing all that "office harmony" stuff during our reviews too. Some management guru must have told all the business insiders it's important. Which, of course it is, but as long as you aren't actually causing problems with your coworkers and are easy to work with, it should be a non-issue.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
I lived with a broad for almost 3 years and left her six months ago. She insisted that the dog was hers, so I left my Amanda with her. One of her kids the 22 year old daughter wrote to me a few weeks ago and suggested I come get the dog. I ignored it figuring it was just a reason to fight with me. But yesterday AM my new lady said someone had left a dog tied up next to our car and we kept hearing him whine and bark. I paid no attention only telling present girl friend that I hate the idea of chaining up a dog, but when in the afternoon we went down from our second story apartment to leave to visit friends, the dog recognized me and called out and I recognized her and went and unchained her. My lady was in the car with the door open and I told Amanda to get in the car and the lady shrieked as my 40 pound dog jumped on her lap to get into the back of the van. Lady and dog accepted each other just fine, and it is good to have Amanda with me again. I have no idea how the previous woman knows where I live, but my vehicle is quite distinctive and it is a relatively small city 180,000 people or so.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
02-03-2016, 05:00 PM
(02-03-2016 04:36 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

That is utter bullshit. You're there to work, not make friends. If youre doing your job well thats all that matter.

Sounds like middle school: Does not play well with others!