What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
14-11-2016, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 03:29 PM by Gloucester.)
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
Cor blimey, have I got problems!?

First I have problems with the Internet router. It has taken me three days to persuade my ISP that there is a problem with the router, not with my laptop + a Windows 10 tablet + an Android tablet + two Android smartphones + my Wifi printer.

They are having infrastructure probs in this area, they admit that, but three people on Virgin nearby have Internet working OK on Wifi. And the laptop works OK on a LAN cable to the router... I reckon it is a problem in the transmitting circuit or the aerial. Online diagnostics indicate nothing wrong - but they do not test the wireless link.

Finally got a promise of an engineer visit Wednesday morning.

I may have mentioned that, in 2012, the battery in my life preserving cardiac implant went flat about half way through its expected life - thus I had to have the whole device changed.

Got a call from the cardiac department today, can I come in Friday for further checks on my implant (routine checks last Tuesday found no operating problems) because the manufacturer has found that the batteries in some models are lasting only half of their expected life.

Touch of deja vu here Dodgy

At least it is not a Samsung battery, like one ones in my tablet and both smartphones Shocking

The day after those routine tests I had reason to check my blood pressure. That was OK, but my pulse was only 64, 60 later, not the usual 70 - 74 the pacemaker gives at rest. On activity it was still hitting the permitted max of 100bpm.

Decided I was not in danger, that 60bpm meant my heart was doing less work, there were no noticeable side effects.

Called the cardiac department the next day, finally got through to an electrophysiology tech. He checked my records and confirmed that the pulse rate reduction had been deliberate.

But, and this is now a formal complaint, it was not discussed with me at all, I did not give my informed permission for a non-emergency, elective, change in my treatment. However, to make it worse, the records state that I was informed and gave my permission.

Oh. No. It. Was. Not. And. I. Did. Not.

I have a very clear memory of the events, I am always very interested in the test results and any changes in treatment and attached implications.

But, if this was a third world country I would probably have died 18 years ago and the cost of one implant would keep a 3rd world family for many years.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2016, 08:09 PM
I feel like a piece of wood.

'
[Image: root.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
14-11-2016, 09:55 PM
I have homework to do for Icelandic class tomorrow night but keep getting distr...

...íkorna!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
18-11-2016, 10:17 AM
First world governments.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
21-11-2016, 08:20 AM
The trip home was...First World Problems personified. Tongue Had to check out at noon, flight didn't leave until 7pm, so I had to wait for three hours by the Southwest ticket counter (they have a policy you can't check bags more than 4 hours before a flight). TSA line took forever, one of the machines was broken. First flight was delayed, then on time, and still left late. Got to Atlanta for my connector with less than 10 minutes before it was to take off (after having to sit on the runway waiting for a plane to get out of our spot we needed to pull into) and sprinted, huffing and puffing down 12 terminals worth of space, only to find no one had boarded my second flight (thank goodness!), but that was because the plane with our flight crew on it was just landing in the terminal next to the one I ran from. We left about 45 minutes late. Woman in front of me was belligerently drunk and kept yelling at the Packers on her tablet, as she was streaming the game via the flight's wireless. In the row behind me there was a screaming baby. Between the two, couldn't hear my audiobook, so tried the 3DS...only to have the battery die an hour from landing. Then, this morning, the copier ran out of paper while I was making copies. Meaning people weren't polite enough to refill after using it. Opened up the cabinet to the paper...it was the same as I left it a week ago. I was the last one to refill the copier (with 2000 sheets of paper) last week too.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Why is licorice-flavored toothpaste white?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

23-11-2016, 12:59 PM
(21-11-2016 08:20 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The trip home was...First World Problems personified. Tongue Had to check out at noon, flight didn't leave until 7pm, so I had to wait for three hours by the Southwest ticket counter (they have a policy you can't check bags more than 4 hours before a flight). TSA line took forever, one of the machines was broken. First flight was delayed, then on time, and still left late. Got to Atlanta for my connector with less than 10 minutes before it was to take off (after having to sit on the runway waiting for a plane to get out of our spot we needed to pull into) and sprinted, huffing and puffing down 12 terminals worth of space, only to find no one had boarded my second flight (thank goodness!), but that was because the plane with our flight crew on it was just landing in the terminal next to the one I ran from. We left about 45 minutes late. Woman in front of me was belligerently drunk and kept yelling at the Packers on her tablet, as she was streaming the game via the flight's wireless. In the row behind me there was a screaming baby. Between the two, couldn't hear my audiobook, so tried the 3DS...only to have the battery die an hour from landing. Then, this morning, the copier ran out of paper while I was making copies. Meaning people weren't polite enough to refill after using it. Opened up the cabinet to the paper...it was the same as I left it a week ago. I was the last one to refill the copier (with 2000 sheets of paper) last week too.

*Hugs* I give you credit for braving holiday travel Wink
23-11-2016, 01:01 PM
(23-11-2016 10:36 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Why is licorice-flavored toothpaste white?

There's licorice flavored toothpaste?
23-11-2016, 10:00 PM
(23-11-2016 01:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 10:36 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Why is licorice-flavored toothpaste white?

There's licorice flavored toothpaste?

https://www.amazon.com/Marvis-Amarelli-L...B004QA77JW

I would have expected the paste to be black. That'd be the coolest shit in the world.

[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
23-11-2016, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 10:19 PM by pablo.)

I imagine it would stain your teeth if it was black. Hobo
[Image: 3U6Jnnx.jpg]