What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
07-12-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(06-12-2016 11:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 06:26 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Holy crap, I'm sorry Sad

It's just a car. But the thing that gets me is people who don't give a damn about what they do to people's property, or to people, either, or don't even know that they ran into something. that worries me the most. As I mentioned earlier, it turns out to only be a little less than $1000. At the senior center where it happened, we've had people get run over, crushed between cars, etc., because some people refuse to give up driving. Our city has a dial-a-ride that is subsidized by the city and/or county just for the purpose of helping seniors who can't drive any more. My mother in law used it for awhile after she moved in with us (at my wife's insistence, and I totally agreed), because she's got Alzheimer's and dementia, and has cataract surgery that was less than completely effective (not the doctor's fault- she's 89, after all). But her symptoms are advanced enough that we don't expect her to go to the senior center and interact in any meaningful way. Kind of a bummer, really. She's a sweet lady, but her intellect is going. I make sure she gets breakfast on the days where I go to my carving class, but I have to make sure I get home to make lunch. I was late today because of making the police report, and she had not gotten herself lunch. Sadcryface I made her lunch after I got home. Next time, I'll go home, then make the report, if it ever happens again.

...all of that is depressing, I'm sorry man Hug Also horrifying on multiple levels. But can understand; we had a doctor talk my late grandmother into giving up her keys, because we couldn't, and we didn't want her driving when she didn't know where she was, or when she was having fainting spells. Though the ride service sounds amazing!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
07-12-2016, 07:59 AM
(07-12-2016 07:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  My low tire light is on in my car AGAIN and they also issued a recall due to faulty airbags. Fuck you, Jeep.

I get the low tire light often on my jeep as well, especially in cold weather. I'd do something about it but putting in air a couple of times a year is cheaper.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-12-2016, 08:01 AM
(07-12-2016 07:59 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 07:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  My low tire light is on in my car AGAIN and they also issued a recall due to faulty airbags. Fuck you, Jeep.

I get the low tire light often on my jeep as well, especially in cold weather. I'd do something about it but putting in air a couple of times a year is cheaper.

Yeah, it happens to me when it gets colder too and I end up putting air in and that seems to help. It's just irritating because the tires aren't low and I end up topping them off with air anyway to make the light go away.

I did bring my jeep in to be serviced for this and the guy was like the tires aren't low. It's just a faulty thing.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-12-2016, 08:05 AM
(06-12-2016 11:28 PM)skyking Wrote:  went to pick up a treadmill on Craigslist, started the truck and it shook and smoked and was unhappy. I warmed it up and decided to go anyway, see what happens.
Must be a broken ring because the blowby gets worse as I go. Then on the way home, I get rear ended. No much damage but it was an insult added to the injury. Now I get to overhaul the engine a year sooner than I had planned.

And diesels are hella expensive to rebuild, too. At least that's offset by the greater longevity. I bet the other car suffered more.

I was with my father in law many years ago getting something or another at Home Depot. Some guy not paying attention rear-ended the truck. Not real hard, nobody was hurt. But he jetted off from the scene. I just laughed, because I could see the huge crease and cut in his hood where he hit the trailer hitch, when he went by. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I keep telling myself it is nothing compared to a new truck payment. I've done a lot of work to this truck already. All new front end parts, different gearing. It is great to drive.
Original gears were 3.73, and it always felt like it was rapping out a bit to me. I went with 3.42 and the MPG went from 19 to 22 on the first drive. not shabby for a 3500 4x4 diesel. I was going to put a new clutch in it Friday. That seems like putting gas in a car you just wrecked. I think we will pull the engine this weekend and get started.
10-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Too many keyboard functions. It used to be when a cat walked across the keyboard, I just had to delete a line of commas or something. Now it takes half an hour to figure out which settings were changed.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-12-2016, 09:04 PM
My desk is covered in all kinds of weird crap -- again! -- and I haven't a clue as to where to store it all. I guess the stapler could go hang out somewhere with the paper punch and the Scotch tape dispenser, but I'm not sure about the flashlight, the digital camera, the three tennis balls, or the piece of #14 welder's glass.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2016, 09:16 PM
(07-12-2016 08:11 AM)skyking Wrote:  I keep telling myself it is nothing compared to a new truck payment. I've done a lot of work to this truck already. All new front end parts, different gearing. It is great to drive.
Original gears were 3.73, and it always felt like it was rapping out a bit to me. I went with 3.42 and the MPG went from 19 to 22 on the first drive. not shabby for a 3500 4x4 diesel. I was going to put a new clutch in it Friday. That seems like putting gas in a car you just wrecked. I think we will pull the engine this weekend and get started.

I'm getting there. My truck's engine was rebuilt over 100k miles ago, and is showing its age. Diesel ain't gonna happen. I can't stand the smell. I worked on diesel tractors in the '70s, and I swear that shit will kill you. I'm going to start checking into an LS engine to replace the big block 400 (it's a '70 Chevy 3/4T with a 1-ton frame and a Dana 60 axle, since it was factory built to be a Custom Camper). It's working so far, but I need to look at the trade-off of an LS swap Vs rebuilding the 400. I'd get better mileage with the LS, especially if I used a 4L80-E trans. I currently have a 400 trans and a 3.55 axle. I'd have to do some research, because I'm not too keen on changing a working differential out. If the difference is small enough, I'll go to the LS, but if the difference is big, I won't do it. It wouldn't be cost effective for my potential lifetime and its usability in said lifetime. I'm a real skinflint, I can tell you!
10-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Fucking periods. Angry Why can't it be like in the tampax commercials where they're all happy n shit Weeping

[Image: Tampon-commercials.jpg]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
11-12-2016, 12:16 PM
(10-12-2016 10:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Fucking periods. Angry Why can't it be like in the tampax commercials where they're all happy n shit Weeping

[Image: Tampon-commercials.jpg]

Even considering that the intent is to present them as having fun to market the product, I still think chainsaws and fire would make sense.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post