What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
15-12-2016, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 09:05 PM by Astreja.)
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
Trying to figure out the best way to play an annoying 3-note sequence with chalumeau-register G#, F# and F natural in "Sleigh Ride" by Leroy Anderson. (No, playing some other song instead is not an option here.)

(23½ hours later...)

(Springy G pours a snoot of brandy and cracks Her knuckles) Okay, once more with feeling...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Being in public with my family and coming across people who, when behind bars, were adamant about how if they weren't locked up they'd rape my mother, kill my goldfish, blow my dog, etc. (something like that, I forget the exact words, happens almost daily), and then being disappointed that they never actually try anything, then trying to explain to my girlfriend the nature of the wordless exchange I had with the random guy in the bank without seeming weird(er) than she already thinks I am.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-12-2016, 09:41 AM
(17-12-2016 09:26 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Being in public with my family and coming across people who, when behind bars, were adamant about how if they weren't locked up they'd rape my mother, kill my goldfish, blow my dog, etc. (something like that, I forget the exact words, happens almost daily), and then being disappointed that they never actually try anything, then trying to explain to my girlfriend the nature of the wordless exchange I had with the random guy in the bank without seeming weird(er) than she already thinks I am.

Gasp

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
17-12-2016, 09:46 AM
(17-12-2016 09:26 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Being in public with my family and coming across people who, when behind bars, were adamant about how if they weren't locked up they'd rape my mother, kill my goldfish, blow my dog, etc. (something like that, I forget the exact words, happens almost daily), and then being disappointed that they never actually try anything, then trying to explain to my girlfriend the nature of the wordless exchange I had with the random guy in the bank without seeming weird(er) than she already thinks I am.

Damn.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-12-2016, 09:49 AM
I want a cheeseburger, but I don't think I'll be able to chew it.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Dayam. That's got to be uncomfortable. Just shows (imo) tough talk in jail is just an act. I hope.
17-12-2016, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2016 12:42 PM by yakherder.)
(17-12-2016 11:45 AM)Fireball Wrote:  

Dayam. That's got to be uncomfortable. Just shows (imo) tough talk in jail is just an act. I hope.

The vast majority of the time. A co-worker did get his car fire bombed earlier this year.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ottawa-carleto...00952.html

And there was a pretty serious attack just a couple weeks ago on a CO in Toronto (different detention centre, same system), albeit on the inside. So far charges have been placed on one guy, currently already charged with human trafficking. Not a very objective or well written article, but I can't find much else on it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/14/man...rd-beating

We get family threats almost daily, but I don't recall any incidents of it ever actually going that far.

I generally get along with most inmates. I actually had one recognize and approach me a couple weeks ago, his own family with him at the time, to shake my hand and thank me for being one of the "good guards." But there are plenty of shitheads too Tongue

'Murican Canadian
19-12-2016, 11:21 AM
The heavy snow and the salt scattered all over the place keeps fucking up my shoe shine.

'Murican Canadian
19-12-2016, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 12:11 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
In my experience, there are two types of prisoners who threaten guards: actual psychopaths/sociopaths who simply are incapable of behaving like reasonable, decent human beings, and thus are the reason the prison system exists... and normal people who are bullied by the psychopaths/sociopaths who wear the badges inside the system so they can act out on "bad people" the things they would be imprisoned (or otherwise shunned) for, in the real world, until all the inmates afflicted can do is fantasize about stopping that guard by whatever means they have available to them-- be it threats or real violence.

I knew many such guards. Many.

I know one in particular that I would not hesitate to kill, if given the opportunity. I watched him provoke an inmate into an argument and then literally go into the cell and beat the inmate to death with a "goon squad" (he was the captain of the "Blacksuits" reaction teams, aka the "goon squad") backing him up. He was not commander when he did it. He was promoted afterward.

Mainly, the guards of which I speak do little, petty things to simply ruin your ability to even have a modicum of comfort on the inside, usually by enforcing his favorite of the literally hundreds of rules--which are never all enforced because there are so many, and they're so broadly written that they can be and are interpreted any way the guard likes, most of the time, with the upper staff backing up whatever the guard decided to do (lots of lawsuits that inmates win in court are based on such an act, which without fail you can read in the court decisions that the prison staff backed up the guard on 100%, even in ludicrously illogical arguments for the legitimacy of the act)--that give him power over every aspect of the inmate.

I assure you, if you had zero privacy to begin with, and some person made it his life's mission to torment you and all your friends for his own amusement, every day FOR YEARS, you'd eventually want to kill him.

Can't see that being the way you operate at all, Yak. You strike me as the kind of guard that all but the psychopaths respect, and you would likely be protected by the inmates in the case of a riot. We had such a guard at the prison where I spent most of my time-- there was a riot a few years back (before I got there), and the prisoners on the block he was working literally pushed him into a cell, gave him prison clothes, and helped move him out of the dangerous area so he could get away. I saw him enforce (real, consistent) rules and get snipped at or threatened by guys who wanted to just do whatever they wanted no matter the consequences, but 99% of us respected him deeply.

It was hilarious to see the difference. He could walk into a cell and say, "Okay I know you have ____ and you're not allowed to, so hand it over", and the prisoners would just do it. No argument, no problems, they would "take their weight" and accept the penalties for the write-up. All based on mutual respect.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but it bothers me whenever people try to suggest (or believe) that prisoners are irrational, abnormal people. Some are. Some are exceptionally dangerous. (While the percentage is higher in prison because psychos tend to do things that get long sentences, and thus they "accumulate" in the population there, I'd venture to say that each person on this board has at least one psychopath living within a few hundred meters of them in any densely-populated area.) But most inmates are just regular people who got themselves into a situation that any of us could experience, under similar life-conditions, and made bad choices that seemed reasonable to them at the time.

I know that you weren't trying to imply otherwise, Yak. I just felt I needed to put all that info out there.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Undecided I've said it before Rocket, I'm unsure how the fuck you came outta that so reasonable. You're a pretty awesome guy Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post