What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
19-12-2016, 12:26 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(19-12-2016 12:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  Undecided I've said it before Rocket, I'm unsure how the fuck you came outta that so reasonable. You're a pretty awesome guy Smile

Q.F.fucking.T. Bowing

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
19-12-2016, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 01:12 PM by yakherder.)
(19-12-2016 12:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  In my experience, there are two types of prisoners who threaten guards: actual psychopaths/sociopaths who simply are incapable of behaving like reasonable, decent human beings, and thus are the reason the prison system exists... and normal people who are bullied by the psychopaths/sociopaths who wear the badges inside the system so they can act out on "bad people" the things they would be imprisoned (or otherwise shunned) for, in the real world, until all the inmates afflicted can do is fantasize about stopping that guard by whatever means they have available to them-- be it threats or real violence.

I knew many such guards. Many.

I know one in particular that I would not hesitate to kill, if given the opportunity. I watched him provoke an inmate into an argument and then literally go into the cell and beat the inmate to death with a "goon squad" (he was the captain of the "Blacksuits" reaction teams, aka the "goon squad") backing him up. He was not commander when he did it. He was promoted afterward.

Mainly, the guards of which I speak do little, petty things to simply ruin your ability to even have a modicum of comfort on the inside, usually by enforcing his favorite of the literally hundreds of rules--which are never all enforced because there are so many, and they're so broadly written that they can be and are interpreted any way the guard likes, most of the time, with the upper staff backing up whatever the guard decided to do (lots of lawsuits that inmates win in court are based on such an act, which without fail you can read in the court decisions that the prison staff backed up the guard on 100%, even in ludicrously illogical arguments for the legitimacy of the act)--that give him power over every aspect of the inmate.

I assure you, if you had zero privacy to begin with, and some person made it his life's mission to torment you and all your friends for his own amusement, every day FOR YEARS, you'd eventually want to kill him.

Can't see that being the way you operate at all, Yak. You strike me as the kind of guard that all but the psychopaths respect, and you would likely be protected by the inmates in the case of a riot. We had such a guard at the prison where I spent most of my time-- there was a riot a few years back (before I got there), and the prisoners on the block he was working literally pushed him into a cell, gave him prison clothes, and helped move him out of the dangerous area so he could get away. I saw him enforce (real, consistent) rules and get snipped at or threatened by guys who wanted to just do whatever they wanted no matter the consequences, but 99% of us respected him deeply.

It was hilarious to see the difference. He could walk into a cell and say, "Okay I know you have ____ and you're not allowed to, so hand it over", and the prisoners would just do it. No argument, no problems, they would "take their weight" and accept the penalties for the write-up. All based on mutual respect.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but it bothers me whenever people try to suggest (or believe) that prisoners are irrational, abnormal people. Some are. Some are exceptionally dangerous. (While the percentage is higher in prison because psychos tend to do things that get long sentences, and thus they "accumulate" in the population there, I'd venture to say that each person on this board has at least one psychopath living within a few hundred meters of them in any densely-populated area.) But most inmates are just regular people who got themselves into a situation that any of us could experience, under similar life-conditions, and made bad choices that seemed reasonable to them at the time.

I know that you weren't trying to imply otherwise, Yak. I just felt I needed to put all that info out there.

Even from my vantage point it's hard to tell what some of the other guards are like. If they're gonna do shitty things, it stands to reason that they don't usually do it when guards who don't do shitty things are around. So, while I've certainly got co-workers whom I'd consider to be assholes, about the worst I see them doing personally is withholding toilet paper or skipping razor day because they've got a hair up their ass that day. An extremely frustrating move, to be sure, but one I can usually work around (such as by quietly delivering an extra roll of toilet paper during my rounds), and not the cliche problems everyone imagines like the private beatings. It's also possible we're just under a lot more scrutiny given the constant media presence and the number of high profile cases we've got going on at any given time being in the capitol.

As for the inmates, I'd say 5% of them cause 95% of the problems. But even though the real trouble makers are in the minority and are all talk, when they're tossing in rape and death threats every other sentence, and then you come across them on the outside, it's always an awkward experience, and after listening to it so often I can't help but have at least a small hope that they'll actually make a move. Ironically the ones making the threats aren't usually the ones going through with them. Most actual attacks are gang related (even in good old Canada,Tongue)

You're right, though. And I've actually had inmates straight up tell me they'd take a bullet for me, and for what I considered to be relatively meaningless gestures like tossing in a couple extra coffee packets for someone coming off an addiction.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
19-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Not meaningless. Not at all. Its hard to describe to someone who has never experienced it just how much it weighs on a person to never be treated with basic human respect and decency. To you, it's just some TP or a packet of coffee...to them it's having someone recognize them as a person when it would be all too easy to treat them like animals, as many of the staff do.

To put it another way, when you have no ability to even wipe your ass and a guard feels he is free to deny you a roll of toilet paper because fuck you....

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Censored

I went back to corrections after getting laid off from my awesome fly in fly out job, hoping that when the mine opened back up in a couple years, after the Canadian dollar and the resource market recovered, I could return to it.

Looks like that's not gonna be happening. At least not on the near future.

Failing to find a buyer, De Beers will flood Snap Lake Mine

Quote:One year after deciding to place it on care and maintenance, De Beers is putting its Snap Lake Mine in the Canadian subarctic on extended care and maintenance – a euphemism for flooding.

Work on flooding the tunnels of the shuttered diamond mine will start in early January and is expected to take between six and eight weeks.

""Extended care and maintenance will preserve the significant diamond mineral resource in the ground in the Northwest Territories until market conditions and improved technical methods make the kimberlite more economic to operate": De Beers Canada "

The Canadian division of the privately-held De Beers Group said the decision was made to flood the mine after it was unable to find a buyer. Plagued by engineering challenges, the mine has never turned a profit since the operation started in 2008. Snap Lake was the firm's first diamond mine outside of Africa, and Canada’s first primary underground diamond mine. The mine, located about 220 km northeast of Yellowknife, employed 747 workers and produced 1.2 million carats in 2015.

The main problem with the $2-billion mine relates to the seeping of groundwater into the mine, which is actually under a lake.

While De Beers, whose parent company is Anglo American, (LON:AAL) blamed the closure announcement in 2015 on low polished diamond prices, it later came out that the company was having trouble controlling the large volumes of groundwater that had been stored underground.

The groundwater was being stored due to high concentrations of dissolved solids including mineral salts, making it impossible to discharge the water into the mine without treatment, without going over prescribed limits. The excess water also put parts of the mine off-limits, which reduced the mineable ore level "to a critical level," Glen Koropchuk, chief operating officer of De Beers Canada, said at the time.

In April of this year the mine was put on care and maintenance and put up for sale. But clearly the expense of maintaining the mine was weighing on De Beers, and with no buyers coming forward, despite engaging Bank of Montreal as an advisor, the decision was made to flood it.

"Extended care and maintenance will preserve the significant diamond mineral resource in the ground in the Northwest Territories until market conditions and improved technical methods make the kimberlite more economic to operate," the company said in a statement, leaving open the obvious question as to when, or if, the water could ever be drained out and the mine restarted, should the diamond market improve enough to turn a profit at the high-opex mine.

Bloomberg provided an answer, having posed the question to Paul Gait, an analyst with Sanford C Bernstein from London, England.

“You’d have to dewater the mine so significant pumping would need to go on,” Gait said. “You’d then have to make sure that the mine was safe and that itself would require significant investment.”

Flooding the mine is a way for De Beers to lessen the maintenance costs of keeping the mine dry while avoiding the even higher costs of a full rehabilitation. An ice road is expected to be built to bring in fuel and provide a route to remove some inventory and equipment.

As to what happens to the mine's employees, the 55 currently doing care and maintenance will drop to 35 after flooding is complete. The company says over 100 former Snap Lake employees have found work at De Beers' newly-opened Gahcho Kué Mine, also in Canada's Northwest Territories.

'Murican Canadian
20-12-2016, 09:37 AM
And to top it off, I'm gonna have to let my enlistment with the Army expire in May due to training conflicts with my current job and the lack of protection from USERRA since I'm not working in the U.S. After thinking it over, it only makes rational sense to stop overextending myself. After travel expenses I'm losing money going to drill every month in Vermont, but investing a lot of time and effort into my unit. Even though leaving the Army is the most practical choice, one which I came to just this morning, I still have that feeling like my dog just died or something.

Come May, I will never again have the opportunity to fire a Mk 19 Sad

'Murican Canadian
20-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Yak it sounds like life is throwing a lot of things your way. I am sure it's going to work out for you. And...you are still the guy I hope to follow when the zombie apocalypse happens.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-12-2016, 09:51 AM
(20-12-2016 09:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Yak it sounds like life is throwing a lot of things your way. I am sure it's going to work out for you. And...you are still the guy I hope to follow when the zombie apocalypse happens.

Yeah I have no real complaints. My girlfriend and I still both make good money, and my options will open up especially once I free up the time that is being taken up by my commitment to the Army. I just don't necessarily enjoy my job right now, and regardless of what I spend most of my time doing I always identified myself as a soldier first and foremost. It's more an image change than anything else. I've still got a nice house in a nice neighborhood, a vacation property, and a steady career where I can pretty much choose my income if I'm willing to take the overtime. No legitimate complaints, just some mental obstacles I'll have to get myself over.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
20-12-2016, 10:11 AM
(20-12-2016 09:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 09:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Yak it sounds like life is throwing a lot of things your way. I am sure it's going to work out for you. And...you are still the guy I hope to follow when the zombie apocalypse happens.

Yeah I have no real complaints. My girlfriend and I still both make good money, and my options will open up especially once I free up the time that is being taken up by my commitment to the Army. I just don't necessarily enjoy my job right now, and regardless of what I spend most of my time doing I always identified myself as a soldier first and foremost. It's more an image change than anything else. I've still got a nice house in a nice neighborhood, a vacation property, and a steady career where I can pretty much choose my income if I'm willing to take the overtime. No legitimate complaints, just some mental obstacles I'll have to get myself over.

You'll be alright. You'll always be the extreme yakherder. That's the mentality, no matter what your job is. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-12-2016, 11:16 PM
I can't shop for clothes online because I don't trust that they'll look good on me irl (I always try stuff on at the store when I shop to make sure it looks good because just because it looks good on the rack doesn't mean it looks good once you put it on) and plus I despise returning shit to the store (which I'd have to do if it didn't look right or didn't fit right). But I can't seem to get a free day to go shop in person, either. Weeping

22-12-2016, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2016 08:50 AM by Free Thought.)
Just woke up; it's the middle of the night; my left ear suddenly hurts bad, feels blocked. shit

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.