What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
31-12-2016, 06:21 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
All the places that are usually open 24 hours that I might stop by to pick up snacks from on the way to an overnight shift are closed because it's new year's eve.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2016, 07:47 PM
(31-12-2016 06:21 PM)yakherder Wrote:  All the places that are usually open 24 hours that I might stop by to pick up snacks from on the way to an overnight shift are closed because it's new year's eve.

Gonna have to roast a prisoner. Evil_monster
01-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Minor ones but still, the trip back today to Cheeseland.

TSA line was long. Got patted down. I've been 'randomly' patted down 3 of the last 8 or 9 times I've flown. It probably is random, and a statistical outlier, but annoying.

None of the magazine places had Discover in stock.

First flight they should've removed a passenger but didn't. He came on last, cursing loudly at the flight attendant about how he "fucking paid for business select boarding" and didn't get it because they "hadn't announced a gate change". They did, 3 times that I counted, and it was only 3 gates down. Continued cursing throughout flight, everyone shot dagger glares at him and the old woman who was wheelchair bound called him on it, he told her to "give it a fucking break and take a fucking nap".

Second flight, we were half boarded when sick kid in row behind me vomits everywhere...they had to stop the boarding, clean it all up, then resume boarding. So we departed a good 30 minutes late, all said and done. Kid was also young enough to be sitting in parent's seat...directly behind me. Kicked my seat for 2 solid hours from Baltimore to Cheeseland...also was at just the right height to be kicking the lower back part of my seat in just the right place that no matter how I scooted in the seat, he was hitting my butt crack and pressing the seat into it.

Came back to apartment to find it's rent time and the state university system didn't pay me on time (again).

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2017, 08:39 PM
(01-01-2017 08:20 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Minor ones but still, the trip back today to Cheeseland.

TSA line was long. Got patted down. I've been 'randomly' patted down 3 of the last 8 or 9 times I've flown. It probably is random, and a statistical outlier, but annoying.

First flight they should've removed a passenger but didn't. He came on last, cursing loudly at the flight attendant about how he "fucking paid for business select boarding" and didn't get it because they "hadn't announced a gate change". They did, 3 times that I counted, and it was only 3 gates down. Continued cursing throughout flight, everyone shot dagger glares at him and the old woman who was wheelchair bound called him on it, he told her to "give it a fucking break and take a fucking nap".

Second flight, we were half boarded when sick kid in row behind me vomits everywhere...they had to stop the boarding, clean it all up, then resume boarding. So we departed a good 30 minutes late, all said and done. Kid was also young enough to be sitting in parent's seat...directly behind me. Kicked my seat for 2 solid hours from Baltimore to Cheeseland...also was at just the right height to be kicking the lower back part of my seat in just the right place that no matter how I scooted in the seat, he was hitting my butt crack and pressing the seat into it.

Came back to apartment to find it's rent time and the state university system didn't pay me on time (again).

Next time you fly, try to sit over the wing, if you can. You have to agree to be ready to open the door in an emergency, but there is extra space for your legs. If you have a kid kicking the seat, you can look gracious and offer it to the parent. They have more room, and you don't get kicked. Win-win!

...and said loud mouth should have been taken off the plane, IMO.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
01-01-2017, 08:50 PM
(01-01-2017 08:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 08:20 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Minor ones but still, the trip back today to Cheeseland.

Next time you fly, try to sit over the wing, if you can. You have to agree to be ready to open the door in an emergency, but there is extra space for your legs. If you have a kid kicking the seat, you can look gracious and offer it to the parent. They have more room, and you don't get kicked. Win-win!

...and said loud mouth should have been taken off the plane, IMO.

Agreed on loud mouth. And great point on the leg room by the emergency exit! Will keep it in mind, though doubt they'd let me give it to them, since you have to be over 15 to sit in that row. (Why yes, I do know that only because I flew today Tongue )

On a non-FWP point, I do Heart Southwest's two free checked bags.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-01-2017, 09:20 PM
It's been about a dozen years since I have taken a flight anywhere. I used to LOVE to fly! Now I will avoid it in any way possible. I am not afraid to fly. I don't want to deal with all the crap that goes along with travelling by air.

As a kid we traveled a lot from Iowa to the Outer Banks to visit family. Especially when I was really young we couldn't afford to fly and we couldn't even afford a stay in a motel or hotel. I learned to travel via road trips that went on for 24 hours straight. I still prefer that mode of travel. If I am going to go anywhere it's going to be a case of 'on the road again'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-01-2017, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 12:24 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Holy crap that's a long drive, but a pretty way to see the country. And less hassle in a lot of ways, agreed!

On a building off of yesterday with the having to come in for a meeting on a state holiday...I got here first by several hours to work on my class that starts tomorrow for our winter mini-semester. Every door is locked. Went over to campus PD, their secretary snidely informed me that campus is closed due to a legal state holiday. Eventually got her to buzz me into the building. Left a sign for my coworkers to call my office so I can go down and let them in, so they don't have to be lectured as well, by someone who doesn't realize that faculty do indeed work on holidays when they need to get things done.

Edit: Guess who they forgot to email that the meeting was cancelled? Facepalm

02-01-2017, 11:05 AM
(02-01-2017 10:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Holy crap that's a long drive, but a pretty way to see the country. And less hassle in a lot of ways, agreed!

I could still easily pull off a 16 hour drive alone, I did so about three years ago. If I could ever have learned how to back up decently I could have had a career as an over the road trucker. Cool

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-01-2017, 11:22 AM
(01-01-2017 09:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's been about a dozen years since I have taken a flight anywhere. I used to LOVE to fly! Now I will avoid it in any way possible. I am not afraid to fly. I don't want to deal with all the crap that goes along with travelling by air.

As a kid we traveled a lot from Iowa to the Outer Banks to visit family. Especially when I was really young we couldn't afford to fly and we couldn't even afford a stay in a motel or hotel. I learned to travel via road trips that went on for 24 hours straight. I still prefer that mode of travel. If I am going to go anywhere it's going to be a case of 'on the road again'.

[Image: we-will-agree-im-sure-of-it.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-01-2017, 04:38 PM
My "e" key is fucked up on my computer. It keeps falling off, so I need to keep making it restick every time I hit e. So eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee​eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hoping that helps Wink
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post