What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
17-01-2017, 07:45 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
I have a meeting today on which of our two candidates to preferably extend an offer to. Both suck, but rumor has it if we don't hire, we won't next year due to a freeze in our university's hiring. Without divulging details, thinking super nervous bad public speaker may be preferable to blatantly racist woman who managed to offend my African American, Hispanic, and Asian students.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
17-01-2017, 08:03 AM
(17-01-2017 07:45 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I have a meeting today on which of our two candidates to preferably extend an offer to. Both suck, but rumor has it if we don't hire, we won't next year due to a freeze in our university's hiring. Without divulging details, thinking super nervous bad public speaker may be preferable to blatantly racist woman who managed to offend my African American, Hispanic, and Asian students.

But learning to cope with being offended is also important Tongue

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-01-2017, 08:13 AM
(17-01-2017 07:45 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I have a meeting today on which of our two candidates to preferably extend an offer to. Both suck, but rumor has it if we don't hire, we won't next year due to a freeze in our university's hiring. Without divulging details, thinking super nervous bad public speaker may be preferable to blatantly racist woman who managed to offend my African American, Hispanic, and Asian students.

Hold the phone here. Just hang on a minute. Tell me if I've got this straight:

You're essentially being forced into hiring a bad candidate for a position because of a rumour?

Getting the wrong person in the job will have major long-term ramifications. To rush the hiring process through because of a rumour probably isn't the finest way to get the right people. Best to leave the position open rather than get the wrong person for the job.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
17-01-2017, 09:04 AM
(17-01-2017 08:03 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

But learning to cope with being offended is also important Tongue

But when she also made racist comments towards the head of the hiring committee, whose parents were in an internment camp during World War Two...

(17-01-2017 08:13 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  

Hold the phone here. Just hang on a minute. Tell me if I've got this straight:

You're essentially being forced into hiring a bad candidate for a position because of a rumour?

Getting the wrong person in the job will have major long-term ramifications. To rush the hiring process through because of a rumour probably isn't the finest way to get the right people. Best to leave the position open rather than get the wrong person for the job.

Not necessarily forced, but likely. There are other factors as well, like one person retiring, the fact this position has been open for at least six years now due to turnover, etc. We had a third candidate who dropped out, so hopefully the committee can be convinced to bring in our fourth person, because I'd concur that it would be better to have the right person. However, with the retirement of one person, we'd be down to almost half a department to teach the same number of classes and students. Unless, we could go to the people who hold the purse strings and pull a "please sir, please ma'am, may we have some more adjuncts for the year?"

I think part of why the majority opinion might be willing to do the risk of hiring the wrong person, is the turnover rate. Because of the idea "they'll only probably be here a year or two anyhow". It's an embedded issue into the institutional fabric that needs to be addressed.

17-01-2017, 09:08 AM
(17-01-2017 09:04 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  But when she also made racist comments towards the head of the hiring committee, whose parents were in an internment camp during World War Two...

Can I assume there were a number of applicants who were bad enough that she stuck out as being one of the better options?

'Murican Canadian
17-01-2017, 09:38 AM
(17-01-2017 09:08 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 09:04 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  But when she also made racist comments towards the head of the hiring committee, whose parents were in an internment camp during World War Two...

Can I assume there were a number of applicants who were bad enough that she stuck out as being one of the better options?

She was the bone the rest of the committee threw the Chair, but on paper, yes. Not really breaking any confidentiality in saying that in any job search, a number of applicants will never move past initial consideration for failing to meet the minimum standards in the job ad. These two were the 'best' of over 40 applicants.

17-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Must buy another bookshelf. Maybe I should consider buying more e-books?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
17-01-2017, 10:51 AM
(17-01-2017 10:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Must buy another bookshelf. Maybe I should consider buying more e-books?

I doubt I'll ever again read most of my books, but having a library room makes me appear smarter than I am to guests. Especially now that I've combined it with my girlfriend's collection, making it a quadrilingual library. I should just call it the ego room.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-01-2017, 11:25 AM
(17-01-2017 10:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 10:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Must buy another bookshelf. Maybe I should consider buying more e-books?

I doubt I'll ever again read most of my books, but having a library room makes me appear smarter than I am to guests. Especially now that I've combined it with my girlfriend's collection, making it a quadrilingual library. I should just call it the ego room.

Books on my shelf would just make me look creepier to guests as many of them are about nazism or bolsheviks.

As for reading books again I sometimes return to fantasy ones or the like, almost never to sciency ones - I only check them when I need some info after first reading.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-01-2017, 01:00 PM
(17-01-2017 09:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ... a number of applicants will never move past initial consideration for failing to meet the minimum standards in the job ad.

Who or what determines these minimum standards? If, for instance, your ad says you need 10 years experience in a certain function, who has decided upon that 10 years and why is 8 years not enough?

This is a particular bug-bear of mine as I've seen the inside of the HR and recruitment industry up close and personal, and it's not pretty. Having a $30,000/yr HR clerk fresh out of school looking through resumes and combing out the ones she doesn't like, based on very loosely defined criteria, is pretty common.

I was pretty lucky when I was hiring people because I was far, far more interested in who the people were - teachable? trainable? enthusiastic? - rather than how they fit some arbitrary predetermined requirements set by someone with a one-year HR degree, or even a professional designation.

Personally, I think the entire HR and recruitment industry is a mess and needs to be razed to the ground and re-built. What they're doing is not working, hasn't worked for years, and doing more of the same isn't going to fix anything. It's time to re-think the industry as a whole.

Sorry... I'll stop now before I go off ranting...