What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
17-01-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
(17-01-2017 01:00 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 09:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ... a number of applicants will never move past initial consideration for failing to meet the minimum standards in the job ad.

Who or what determines these minimum standards? If, for instance, your ad says you need 10 years experience in a certain function, who has decided upon that 10 years and why is 8 years not enough?

This is a particular bug-bear of mine as I've seen the inside of the HR and recruitment industry up close and personal, and it's not pretty. Having a $30,000/yr HR clerk fresh out of school looking through resumes and combing out the ones she doesn't like, based on very loosely defined criteria, is pretty common.

I was pretty lucky when I was hiring people because I was far, far more interested in who the people were - teachable? trainable? enthusiastic? - rather than how they fit some arbitrary predetermined requirements set by someone with a one-year HR degree, or even a professional designation.

Personally, I think the entire HR and recruitment industry is a mess and needs to be razed to the ground and re-built. What they're doing is not working, hasn't worked for years, and doing more of the same isn't going to fix anything. It's time to re-think the industry as a whole.

Sorry... I'll stop now before I go off ranting...

Which is why employee recommendations are generally a much better criterion for a new hire. The HR screening process is not the best way. I've interviewed many people (newly graduated and experienced engineers and physicists) as well, and it wasn't just their degrees and extracurricular activities that we evaluated. While they're generally on their best behavior at an interview, if they've been there all day, something may slip. One slot we needed to fill required a person good with hardware. My supervisor's passenger side front door inside handle didn't work. We went to lunch once, and when we got there, I discovered this. So I rolled the window down and used the outside handle. One of our interviewees didn't think of that. It isn't why he didn't get the position, but my supervisor laughed that this guy was obviously not a hands-on hardware guy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-01-2017, 02:41 PM
(17-01-2017 02:24 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 01:00 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Who or what determines these minimum standards? If, for instance, your ad says you need 10 years experience in a certain function, who has decided upon that 10 years and why is 8 years not enough?

This is a particular bug-bear of mine as I've seen the inside of the HR and recruitment industry up close and personal, and it's not pretty. Having a $30,000/yr HR clerk fresh out of school looking through resumes and combing out the ones she doesn't like, based on very loosely defined criteria, is pretty common.

I was pretty lucky when I was hiring people because I was far, far more interested in who the people were - teachable? trainable? enthusiastic? - rather than how they fit some arbitrary predetermined requirements set by someone with a one-year HR degree, or even a professional designation.

Personally, I think the entire HR and recruitment industry is a mess and needs to be razed to the ground and re-built. What they're doing is not working, hasn't worked for years, and doing more of the same isn't going to fix anything. It's time to re-think the industry as a whole.

Which is why employee recommendations are generally a much better criterion for a new hire. The HR screening process is not the best way. I've interviewed many people (newly graduated and experienced engineers and physicists) as well, and it wasn't just their degrees and extracurricular activities that we evaluated. While they're generally on their best behavior at an interview, if they've been there all day, something may slip. One slot we needed to fill required a person good with hardware. My supervisor's passenger side front door inside handle didn't work. We went to lunch once, and when we got there, I discovered this. So I rolled the window down and used the outside handle. One of our interviewees didn't think of that. It isn't why he didn't get the position, but my supervisor laughed that this guy was obviously not a hands-on hardware guy.

I think it was intended more to create the perception of being fair than to result in quality employees.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-01-2017, 03:00 PM
(17-01-2017 01:00 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 09:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ... a number of applicants will never move past initial consideration for failing to meet the minimum standards in the job ad.

Who or what determines these minimum standards? If, for instance, your ad says you need 10 years experience in a certain function, who has decided upon that 10 years and why is 8 years not enough?

No need to be sorry, I've been screwed by strangely set requirements before, so understand the frustration. In this case, it was a mix of HR and our Department which set the standards. We're looking for someone who has degree in hand (or completed within 1 academic year of hiring), JD's not to be considered, who has a specialization in teaching policing and preferably has prior experience doing so. Field experience as a practitioner is preferred, but not required. Basically the standards are pretty much industry standard for our field (and legally required for accreditation purposes), plus what we really need within the department at this time. The actual interviews were day long events, including meetings with each committee member, classroom interaction with students, meeting with the Dean, meeting with the Provost, tour of campus/meeting with student representative on the committee, lunch with another university official related to our college, etc. The opinions of everyone were considered, including the written (and anonymous) opinions of the students in the classroom that met each candidate. Also the secretary was consulted, because she deals with people who aren't on their 'best behavior' as it were.

We're really looking for someone who not only can do the job, but someone also who isn't a jerk, and who interacts well with the students. While the final decision is made above our pay grade, we pass along the recommendations further up the chain, and fill out the paperwork for HR purposes/legal reasons. Even for the 40+ who didn't make it to an on campus interview stage, each member of our committee had to fill out a form listing each candidate's previous work experiences, publications, degrees, schools attended, notes of interest from their work samples and cover letters and CVs, etc. So for the ones who didn't even meet the minimum requirements stated in the job posting, we still had to fill out as much as we could and then describe in writing why they didn't meet the minimum requirement; so to use an example, a person may have had a Bachelors degree, but the job ad states PhD is required.

Edit: I publication'ed twice.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2017, 12:27 PM
All fired up to year-end accounting including my own tax return and some estate stuff.

Can't do a razzafracking thing till the last few information slips come in. *shakes fist*

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
19-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Just had someone whine on Facebook about spoilers...now personally I think 3-5 years is a max for spoiling stuff. This was a series that finished in 2009. The last time I heard this same spoilers complaint was about a movie that was released in the year I was born.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
22-01-2017, 05:49 PM
While I am happy to have hearing aids and it's cool that I can stream Pandora and iTunes through them...I sure go through a lot of damn batteries!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
23-01-2017, 07:53 PM
(22-01-2017 05:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  While I am happy to have hearing aids and it's cool that I can stream Pandora and iTunes through them...I sure go through a lot of damn batteries!

I wouldn't mind having the option to mute the world around me.

And if someone is rambling I can just be like sorry, batteries died. Go bother someone else.

'Murican Canadian
23-01-2017, 07:54 PM
(23-01-2017 07:53 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 05:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  While I am happy to have hearing aids and it's cool that I can stream Pandora and iTunes through them...I sure go through a lot of damn batteries!

I wouldn't mind having the option to mute the world around me.

It's actually quite a nice benefit. Big Grin

I now have a mute button.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-01-2017, 07:56 AM
It's 7:56 in the morning and I have a razzafracking polka stuck in my head. Sadcryface2

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
27-01-2017, 09:10 AM
(27-01-2017 07:56 AM)Astreja Wrote:  It's 7:56 in the morning and I have a razzafracking polka stuck in my head. Sadcryface2

Is itsy bitsy teeny weeny and yellow?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.